Last Nights Caravan

I did a write up on Benford's section of the meeting. Here's the link to my blog entry:

That was very interesting, I didn't like all the injury excuses; but it was a great read for a fan. The issue is that Benford lost a ton of creditability with some of his comments his first year. I hope he is correct about all the incoming players, but I certainly would not bank on it.

Injury problems were bad last year, but they were far from unprecedented even at NT. Walton, the super player, no kidding I do like his play but if he had played all season: I am not sure NT would have won one more game. Other than getting Outlander's minutes, I don't think he is better than Alzee, Jordan or Chris. Benford looked to me like what he was last year, someone who had never coached a college basketball team. Even though I believe that Benford should have been terminated, I haven't gave up all hope that he can make NT the kind of program that he envisions.

• Upvote 2

Benford tends to oversell his players/commitments. Hopefully he'll learn (here or elsewhere) that not all fans are stupid.

I like what recently passed Dallas Roosevelt coach Ellis Davis would say (back in the day) when someone would ask him about his upcoming team. "Man, I ain't got nothing". He would then go on to have one of the better teams in the state.

• Upvote 3

I was at the Plano one tonight.

It seems like it was on par speech wise from Denton & Dallas.

Rick didn't mention much about baseball.

I would say Rick almost garunteed at least 6 home games so keep an eye on that.

Still in talks with UTA for basketball.

MAC had the biggest speech of the night, couldn't even tell he was just on the operating table.

Both bball coaches said new practice facility has been used plenty already & great selling point.

Rick V said Vanderbelt visited our stadium because they heard such great things about it. Apparently building a new stadium. They loved it so much the toured the rest of our facilities. The Vandy people said you can't find these facilities at some SEC schools. That was pretty impressive.

Felt last year was better with the giveaways, food, DJ.

Still had a good time, thank you Jordan Case.

• Upvote 3

I think probably the best news of all is that Mac makes it sound like Derek Thompson has the job and its his to lose. This will not sit well with the people who fantasize about Berglund being Johnny Manziel based on recuiting rankings four years ago.

I also want to say this, we bitch and complain a lot amongst ourselves. It's stupid. We waste energy and the same people show up at things.

UNT football - and, maybe, UNT, athletics should be like a Jesus to us, and we should, therefore, be spreading its gospel. Otherwise, it's just the same people showing up trying to decide amongst themselves what's the pecking order amongst those who show up.

I've tried to get a former player I know involved. I've tried to get former roommates involed. So far, I've gotten one former roommate to games.

So basically...Derek Thompson... UNT football and athletics...Jesus...gospel...spread the word.

• Upvote 4

I think probably the best news of all is that Mac makes it sound like Derek Thompson has the job and its his to lose. This will not sit well with the people who fantasize about Berglund being Johnny Manziel based on recuiting rankings four years ago.

I also want to say this, we bitch and complain a lot amongst ourselves. It's stupid. We waste energy and the same people show up at things.

UNT football - and, maybe, UNT, athletics should be like a Jesus to us, and we should, therefore, be spreading its gospel. Otherwise, it's just the same people showing up trying to decide amongst themselves what's the pecking order amongst those who show up.

I've tried to get a former player I know involved. I've tried to get former roommates involed. So far, I've gotten one former roommate to games.

So basically...Derek Thompson... UNT football and athletics...Jesus...gospel...spread the word.

Agree with you Lonnie. Another great event hosted by Jordan Case and Park Place Lexus. That food truck (I had the pulled pork grilled cheese) was awesome as was the open bar and whiskey tasting section...although I stuck to beer! Thought the coaches did another nice job, and was happy to see some "new faces" in the crowd. Although, the crowd was way too small...what, maybe 60-70 not counting staff? I am not good at estimating crowd size. But, you are also correct in that many folks attending are the ones who we can count on to usually attend these events....and some. like me, who attend multiple of these events each year. I saw at least 15 in attendance last night who also attended the Denton event. That's a real shame. these events are really good, and one can get an early season "feel" for how things are going. Sure, you won't get detailed "facts and figures" as these events are not that sort of event...these are for fun, for excitement, for hype for the approaching seasons, etc. Come with a positive attitude looking to have some fun with other members of the great Mean green Nation and you will definitely not be disappointed.

Great to see you last night, Lonnie and to get to meet your lovely wife and two great kids. Really enjoyed seeing your two "wee ones" at the event, and meeting your wife was a bonus!

Folks...if it is not too late, please try to make tonight's Coaches Caravan in Ft. Worth...you will be glad you did.

On a side note...did folks see and realize that these events are being co-sponsored by the UNT Alumni Association this year for the first time? Really great to have this connection and know that campus wide partnerships are being developed for the benefit of the university community and its alumni base.

• Upvote 3

I think probably the best news of all is that Mac makes it sound like Derek Thompson has the job and its his to lose.

Interesting. That's not how it came across in the Dallas meet & greet. When mentioning QB's the very first words out of Mac's mouth were: "Brock Berglund is a phenomenal talent...but he missed a lot of time due to injury. He has a lot to make up for." He followed that with; DT and AM are both improved. And then moved the conversation to other positions.

• Upvote 1

Adman,

We may be hearing the same thing and interpreting it differently. Kind of like the Obama supporter who was on TV after he was elected saying she wasn't going to have to pay her bills anymore. That was as much a fantasy as Berglund overtaking Thompson and becoming Johnny Football North. Black people still have to pay their bills even with though Obama is president, and Berglund still has to perform well enough to beat out the quick, intelligent, experience, talented Thompson. McNulty has his supporters, too. Don't leave him out like so many Green Party and Libertarian candidates in an election debate.

Mark,

I like to take my wife and kids with me so they can experience North Texas. The kids around the neighborhood wear the stuff of their parents' alma mater. I don't want my family to be ashamed of UNT because we having been sucking; I want them to see who is responsible and get excited about it. Also, unlike Mark Sanford, I won't run off on my wife and family for a sultry, tall, Argentine news reporterette because I've already got a Mexican mujer who speaks roughly the same language. If that makes any sense.

• Upvote 1