Sim Bhullar of NMSU

I watched the WAC championship game between UT Arlington and New Mexico State last night, as I'm sure at least a few of you guys did, and I was absolutely blown away by NMSU's freshman big man, Sim Bhullar.

For those of you who don't know who he is, he's a 7'5" 355 pound center of Indian descent from Toronto.

When I flipped on the game and saw him, I instantly was expecting a big, slow, clumsy, easily tired goon who was in there to take up space and rebound anything within his reach. Boy was I wrong, and I'm assuming every big-time college scout and coach was wrong about him too, otherwise he'd be on a much better team than NMSU.

Double double by halftime, finished with something like 16 points and 15 rebounds, at least 4 or 5 blocks...the kid is legit.

Relevant to UNT for a few reasons. One, I remember seeing a thread that said NMSU would announce a conference move sometime soon. If it, by some miracle, is C USA, be stoked, because you've then got 3 years of seeing this beast in person when we play NMSU. Two, WHY DIDN'T WE (and everyone else) GO AFTER THIS KID?? Three, WHY AREN'T WE GOING AFTER HIS 7'3" YOUNGER BROTHER, who is also being under recruited assuming he's remotely on the same level as Sim.

Thoughts anyone?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I watched the WAC championship game between UT Arlington and New Mexico State last night, as I'm sure at least a few of you guys did, and I was absolutely blown away by NMSU's freshman big man, Sim Bhullar.

For those of you who don't know who he is, he's a 7'5" 355 pound center of Indian descent from Toronto.

When I flipped on the game and saw him, I instantly was expecting a big, slow, clumsy, easily tired goon who was in there to take up space and rebound anything within his reach. Boy was I wrong, and I'm assuming every big-time college scout and coach was wrong about him too, otherwise he'd be on a much better team than NMSU.

Double double by halftime, finished with something like 16 points and 15 rebounds, at least 4 or 5 blocks...the kid is legit.

Relevant to UNT for a few reasons. One, I remember seeing a thread that said NMSU would announce a conference move sometime soon. If it, by some miracle, is C USA, be stoked, because you've then got 3 years of seeing this beast in person when we play NMSU. Two, WHY DIDN'T WE (and everyone else) GO AFTER THIS KID?? Three, WHY AREN'T WE GOING AFTER HIS 7'3" YOUNGER BROTHER, who is also being under recruited assuming he's remotely on the same level as Sim.

Thoughts anyone?

"I instantly was expecting a big, slow, clumsy, easily tired goon who was in there to take up space"

He does appear to have a little of that, but he has nice hands and good quickness. Look out NBA If he can dump 50 pounds and

find some serious coaching.

He's a good player and with his size, he's hard to stop. That being said, a team with any size should be able to stop him. We couldn't. Why? We only had one guy 6'10 and everyone else was 6'6 or less. Just put 2 big 6'9 guys that can absorb some fouls and his 46%FT will keep him at 15pts a game. NMSU doesn't shoot the 3 very well (only 10 attempts per game I think) and their guards had several passes picked off, so you can collapose the defense inside and dare the Aggies to beat you from more than 10 feet out and see what happens. If they make some 3s, tip your cap because their averages say they won't. We just didn't do a good job guarding him.

• Upvote 1

That's a funny coincidence that Life of Pi just came out on DVD and involves a guy from India who relocates to Canada. Not at all relevant, just a weird coincidence that it happened right around the time of the conference playoffs and NCAA championship when this guy will likely get the most media exposure of the year.

• Upvote 1

He's a good player and with his size, he's hard to stop. That being said, a team with any size should be able to stop him. We couldn't. Why? We only had one guy 6'10 and everyone else was 6'6 or less. Just put 2 big 6'9 guys that can absorb some fouls and his 46%FT will keep him at 15pts a game. NMSU doesn't shoot the 3 very well (only 10 attempts per game I think) and their guards had several passes picked off, so you can collapose the defense inside and dare the Aggies to beat you from more than 10 feet out and see what happens. If they make some 3s, tip your cap because their averages say they won't. We just didn't do a good job guarding him.

Sounds like a familiar game plan...

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Adam Silver (Stern's successor) is salivating at the thought of Bhullar making it to the NBA.

You aren't kidding. Yao Ming 2.0, just from India instead of China. Add another billion+ to the NBA's international market if he can make even a small name for himself in the NBA.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Thoughts anyone?

His younger brother committed to NMSU today

• Upvote 1