Next Year

UNT90

How would we not be better??? is this a joke post? Up front we have everyone back except one, running backs all will be back but brown (peagram, who i hear is a stud, takes his place no problem), quarter back (all i hear, from those real close to program, is real deal) and if not DT a 2 yr starter back that cant possibly be worse.. recievers- Delgado will hurt but outside that were ok.. Brelan our best WR back, Terrel will be eligible, smith and harris back.. we will be ok.. Defensive wise, our D line cant possibly be worse, plus i hear we have some young studs who can play, linebacker- Orr returns and so does polk, losing phillips hurts but still strong point.. DB's - everyones back!!! should be better... so tell me, please how we only win 3 games.. ya you can say conference is tougher, but non confrenece lightens up and with UTSA, Rice and UTEP on schedule idk how we dont win at least 5, 6, 7,8 games.. at least! Im not saying, im just saying

Counting on players that have never played a college snap of football to improve your program is a losing proposition about 85% of the time.

And, yes, players can regress. DT has this year.

Counting on players that have never played a college snap of football to improve your program is a losing proposition about 85% of the time.

And, yes, players can regress. DT has this year.

I think if you will read his post, he mainly talks about the people that are returning outside of D-Tackles and assuming Berglund replaces Thompson.

If he doesn/t win 6-7 by the end of year 4, then maybe, but not year 3.

I don't think we're in a position to give a coach an automatic 4 years to see if he can get it done or reach a next level. It's always the same story...the cupboard is bear or he has to build a program from the ground up etc. We're little ol North Texas and we'll always have those excuses because we always manage to be bad and accept excuses for being bad. The way things are now we'll never have a team full of talented players but that is where coaching comes in. Boise State has managed to get just "guys" on their squads and they've run with it because they've hired gamer coaches that coach the living hell out of those players despite lesser talented players.

If he doesn/t win 6-7 by the end of year 4, then maybe, but not year 3.

If he can't win 6-7 games by end of year 3...he should be fired....this year we win 4 games...one against a 1aa program, one where a bad call basicly helped us win against a team the kicked us around and has been playing div 1a football for how long.....???...yea!!
  • Downvote 1

Sorry, but this is going to be a multi-year project. Anyone who thought differently was kidding themselves. That is where we are talent wise and it will take 2-3 recruiting classes more to get us where we need to be.

Yea, pick any year in the last 8 and you could apply this post.

It's always 3 to 4 years down the road for UNT football.

Always.

• Upvote 3

Always.

Reread sparkmank's post. We return damn near the entire core of this team. Usually when that happens you can expect improvement. The last time we had this kind of depth returning was Dodge's last year. That team was a decent team that got completely wiped out by injuries. It's not a guarantee, but it is reasonable to expect a better, deeper, and more experienced team next year.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

Always.

Historically yes. But in terms of this team, and the program in general we had four regrettable years where the talent level and mentality of this program got incredibly soft and out of touch. that is why we are where we are today. Mac is in year two and he and the staff are trying to do the best they can with a team that just doesn't have the horses to compete in an improved Belt. I just don't think it's coaching decisions or a lack of desire from the players...we just don't have speed, size or depth. Now that we are out of the race officially, no need to sugarcoat it anymore.

It would have been nice to see an improvement in the win column this season to sell potential recruits. Alas that was not in the cards - let's move forward. Now that we know that won't happen you have to really focus on your recruiting efforts. We have a much better picture to sell recruits and their families with Apogee and the athletic center. We need to roll out the red carpet and make it as impressive a recruiting experience as it has ever been. The walk-on program must continue to be developed. We need to keep a sharp eye on transfers. And most importantly we have to close on top talent.

If there was one area of concern that I have right now it's the importance of getting a solid 3rd recruiting class for Mac and company...if there is anything you can do to ensure this you better start pulling the levers now,. Mac has been around the block and knows that next season is huge. I'm not saying that he has to win C-USA but he at least needs to show significant signs that we could compete in year 4. There is not one component of this team that couldn't use improvement including the offensive line. The good news is he has a lot of key transfers and redshirts coming into the mix this Spring. While I agree with his philosophy of not going the juco route, I think if you can land a juco defensive tackle, defensive end or hard hitting safety with size that is a game changer you pull the trigger and don't look back. This early juco signing period in December will be interesting.

Barring injury, this team can't help but be stronger. The questions are 1) will the injury bug go easy on us for a change and 2) how solid is CUSA?

Most positions will be improved:

Quarterback - Berglund is the highest rated quarterback in our history. So either we'll see a better passer who can also win games with his feet or the evaluators don't know beans. Improved to greatly improved.

Running Back - The loss of Brown is a mild lowering but the addition of Pegram should more than offset that. Jimmerson, who has developed into a playmaker, hopefully returns fully healthy and can stay that way. Mark Lewis was one of the best running backs in Louisiana two years ago and could also be a factor. Improved.

Wide Receiver - The loss of Delgado should be more than offset by Texas transfer Terrell; the highest rated receiver in our history. Two highly-rated redshirt freshmen, Schrapps and Lancaster, should raise the talent level of the receiving corps. Playmaker Chancellor should be back as good as ever. Smith and Carlos Harris have surfaced as dependable receivers. Another improved to greatly improved area.

Tight End - This is one position that will be weaker due to the graduation of Andrew Power. Miller has been an effective player, especially as a receiver, and Marcus Smith has a lot of potential but the position will definitely be weaker this year.

Offensive Line - On the surface this area looks to be a little weaker in spite of the return of three very good linemen. Anyiam was a sometime starter last year so there is little dropoff there. Much of the improvement will depend on the success of the highly-regarded Feldt brothers. Cam has been a disappointment but the talent is there. Boone could have a health issue but we won't know for awhile. If both come through this can be our best line, at least on paper. Mike Simmonds seems to be an excellent o-line coach and I expect little, if any, dropoff.

Defensive Line - This is an area of major concern. Boutwell, our best d-lineman, is undersized for tackle and has been hurt. Hopefully he fully heals. Bellazin has the most potential for improvement. We have two redshirt freshmen who seem to have some talent in Horton and Dilonga. However, if there's any improvement I believe that it has to come from Wallace and McDorman. I don't believe that we will be any worse but this is still an area for concern.

Linebacker - Zach Orr and Akunne are solid. I'm not clear on Stojokovic. Does he play or not? If he was convicted of the assault alluded to on this board, why is he not in prison? If he plays, I have little worry on the weakside. If he doesn't then Polk can do as well but that would leave virtually no depth. Good group but must remain injury free while backups develop.

Defensive Back - Freddie Warner returns, Whitfield has developed into a decent cover corner, and Trice and Lee have gained valuable experience. Jackson has had his moments and Busby, Devante Davis and Kelly have potential and a little experience. We should be improved in this area.

Special Teams - Punting is almost certain to be a dropoff with the graduation of Atterberry. Olen should have a good year. Return and coverage teams are again a concern and if they're no better than last year we could be in trouble. I can't believe that this problem isn't correctable. Except for punting I see improvement.

Overall, I see this as an improved team with a much stronger offense, a slightly improved defense, and a question mark on special teams.

Edited by GrayEagle

one issue that can't be ignored is that while the team will be older, more experienced, and have played together as a group for a while some of that benefit is lost upon moving to the new conference.....now those guys that know the tendencies of players and coaches from other teams based on past experience will not have that they will be starting over fresh watching all new teams in the conference with all new game film, all new tendencies, and all new habits

so while they will have the years of playing together to help them they lose the benefit of being the knowledgeable veteran filled team that knows what to expect when they enter into the stadium and game of other teams in the conference

sure the other conference teams will not know what to expect from north Texas as well, but that is just a single game for them VS an entire conference slate of games...and north Texas and Tulsa did play last year, but they have a new coach since them

and relying on players that did not work out at their former schools and that have not played a down of football for at least a year and possibly more if you count meaningful minutes or more than mop up time is quite a stretch especially at the QB, running back, and WR positions......that is quite a lot of rust to wear off and jell right out of the shoot.....and that is if those players are close to being as imagined

Hopefully next year, we can relive the days during that first New Orleans Bowl againt Colorado State where they were selling frozen drinks with grain alcohol from hot dog cart on the street.. Now that was classic...

this experience can be relived pretty much any morning, noon, or evening in New Orleans any time of the year

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1