Dan McCarney vs Dennis Franchione

UNT90

Oh, please...........had to happen. But, please. The things folks will post after a loss. Fun stuff this college football thing.

They will, and SHOULD always be compared.

It's not like there is a stellar track record of coaching hires in our football program.

I know you couldn't make the game, so you didn't experience the disappointment 1st hand. I couldn't make the Rice trip, but imagine that the feeling was the same.

Nothing to cheer about 1 and a half minutes into the 1st quarter (the time it took Houston to drive 75 yards for their 1st score).

Great UNT traveling turnout, same disappointing results.

Getting kicked in the nads on a continuous basis gets old.

• Upvote 2

Want to run the ball? Fine, go four wide and run against a 5 or 6 man front with your front 5.

We did exactly this the opening drive of the second half except we ran the stretch to the outside. Houston ran tight man cover 1 defense and if anyone was paying attention, they would have seen how truly well our wide receivers actually run block, because once the backs got outside the ground game made it look easy, exposing Houston's weaknesses for the score.

.......then we abandoned that for whatever reason to go back to what wasnt working, and continued to crap the bed on defense. Game over!

I guess it's safe to say we can't find that storage facility full of top level talent like Ark St and ULL had access to last year. That has to be the only explanation for their one year turn arounds last year.

And speaking of turn arounds, people can stroke Houston's sudden rise to greatness with their win over us all they want but IMO ULM and Western kY would have their way with them this year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

And speaking of turn arounds, people can stroke Houston's sudden rise to greatness with their win over us all they want but IMO ULM and Western kY would have their way with them this year.

Rick

I seriously doubt it, but we'll never know because we don't play them. We played UNT, and they gave up before halftime.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

They will, and SHOULD always be compared.

It's not like there is a stellar track record of coaching hires in our football program.

I know you couldn't make the game, so you didn't experience the disappointment 1st hand. I couldn't make the Rice trip, but imagine that the feeling was the same.

Nothing to cheer about 1 and a half minutes into the 1st quarter (the time it took Houston to drive 75 yards for their 1st score).

Great UNT traveling turnout, same disappointing results.

Getting kicked in the nads on a continuous basis gets old.

Reading your negativity is getting old. Every thread I see you complaining about this and that. So I ask again. What did you expect coming into the season and what are your solutions?

• Upvote 1

We did exactly this the opening drive of the second half except we ran the stretch to the outside. Houston ran tight man cover 1 defense and if anyone was paying attention, they would have seen how truly well our wide receivers actually run block, because once the backs got outside the ground game made it look easy, exposing Houston's weaknesses for the score.

.......then we abandoned that for whatever reason to go back to what wasnt working, and continued to crap the bed on defense. Game over!

I guess it's safe to say we can't find that storage facility full of top level talent like Ark St and ULL had access to last year. That has to be the only explanation for their one year turn arounds last year.

Rick

I don't always agree with you Rick but you have been right on in terms of posting about the failures to adapt in this game. Everyone saw the Dickey Ball up the gut over and over. Now go watch the highlight tape on MGS and u will see that the very plays we as fans want to see more often are the LARGEST amount of takes on the highlight reel. Taking until halftime to adjust to what Houston was showing us was downright negligent

Reading your negativity is getting old. Every thread I see you complaining about this and that. So I ask again. What did you expect coming into the season and what are your solutions?

I expected progress. I continue to expect progress. Not seeing it.

It's not my job to find solutions. I'm not close enough to the situation to know what the solutions are. Neither are you.

You are also not close enough to the situation to say everything is hunky dorey, either.

Our coaching staff gets paid a lot of money to win football games. I hate losing, but hate a game plan to lose even more (to a team Texas St. took to the woodshed).

It has become apparent that we are just a bad football team right now. Maybe it's my fault for elevating expectations after a 4 TD loss to LSU and a 2 TD loss to K. State. It won't happen again.

As far as complaining about this and that, hardly the case with me. If your happy with 5 game home schedules, not being able to buy (see:marketing your best athlete to attend your university, maybe ever) merchandise with Mitchell's number on it, and the failure to get the bridge done by the opening game, more power to you. I am not happy about it.

My support goes way deeper than posting on a message board and isn't short term. But why don't you help me out and point out ANYTHING positive about that football game. Please, I'm dying to hear what it is, because, quite frankly, I didn't see one thing.

• Upvote 1

I don't always agree with you Rick but you have been right on in terms of posting about the failures to adapt in this game. Everyone saw the Dickey Ball up the gut over and over. Now go watch the highlight tape on MGS and u will see that the very plays we as fans want to see more often are the LARGEST amount of takes on the highlight reel. Taking until halftime to adjust to what Houston was showing us was downright negligent

It wasn't a half time adjustment. We KNEW what Houston would do on defense. Mac said so in the interview. Houston did exactly that.

Look at the time of possession. We played this game to keep the score close, not to win.

That is maddening.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

It's not my job to find solutions. I'm not close enough to the situation to know what the solutions are. Neither are you.

You are also not close enough to the situation to say everything is hunky dorey, either.

Our coaching staff gets paid a lot of money to win football games. I hate losing, but hate a game plan to lose even more (to a team Texas St. took to the woodshed).

It has become apparent that we are just a bad football team right now. Maybe it's my fault for elevating expectations after a 4 TD loss to LSU and a 2 TD loss to K. State. It won't happen again.

As far as complaining about this and that, hardly the case with me. If your happy with 5 game home schedules, not being able to buy (see:marketing your best athlete to attend your university, maybe ever) merchandise with Mitchell's number on it, and the failure to get the bridge done by the opening game, more power to you. I am not happy about it.

My support goes way deeper than posting on a message board and isn't short term. But why don't you help me out and point out ANYTHING positive about that football game. Please, I'm dying to hear what it is, because, quite frankly, I didn't see one thing.

People on here are super fans and we're idiots for being critical, didn't you know?

Edited by meangreener

TSU-SM ambushed Houston, got ripped by a poor Tech team, barely beat a FCS team in SFA, lost to Nevada and got beat handily by a bad New Mexico team.

They caught lightening in a bottle for one game. Something tells me that if UNT90 were a TSU fan, he'd be asking the same question, only in reverse, on the Bobcats fanboard.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the LSU game, the team started out by giving up 24 straight points to start the game, and looked like a team that did not belong on the same field, and then went on to finish the game by getting outscored 17-14. In the Houston game we give up 17 straight to start the game and then get outscored by 27-21 to finish the game.

LSU's overall offense currently ranks #77 and Houston's is #9.

I felt bad about the Houston loss, but I did not really care for the LSU loss either. After the LSU game, a LOT of people were talking moral victory and how great we looked. After the Houston game, we are ready to replace our coach. I am not trying to say that Houston is equal to LSU, but it is not like they don't have ability, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Do we need to tap the breaks a little?

Edited by CurveItAround

TSU-SM ambushed Houston, got ripped by a poor Tech team, barely beat a FCS team in SFA, lost to Nevada and got beat handily by a bad New Mexico team.

They caught lightening in a bottle for one game. Something tells me that if UNT90 were a TSU fan, he'd be asking the same question, only in reverse, on the Bobcats fanboard.

No, UNT90 would be estatic that his 1st year FBS team took a team ranked in the top 25 the previous year to the woodshed. Lightening in a bottle or not.

Please tell me, why does UNT NEVER catch lightening in a bottle?

EVER?

EDIT: Yes, I did just refer to myself in the third person. Such a D-bag move.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

It seems that a lot of people on here rightfully consider the Dickey era as a success (2001-2006, 4 conference championships). The thing that the Dicky teams were able to do is put W's on the board. However, if you look at Dickey's record, during his 6 years at the helm, his teams produced a grand total of 2 wins against teams that finished year above .500. His teams posted an additional 4 wins against teams that finished at .500 during that time. What Dickey was able to accomplish was beating up on weak conference mates during a very period of very bad Sun Belt teams. This period did nothing to advance the perception of the conference, unlike recent history.

Now, only a few years later, we look back on that time very favorably. We tend to forget how/where the wins came from.

With the improvement in the Sun Belt quality of place, we will realistically have to play just as well as it took us to win the conference during the Dickey era in order to just go .500 in today's Sunbelt. It doesn't look to get any easier next year in CUSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Must be miserable.

One easy positive is no sacks and great oline play again.

Coach Mac has had more time to recruit than Coach Fran (and don't give me that crrap about nothing being left in the cupboard). Coach Fran beat Houston with a provisional FBS team. Houston is not a good football team.

I just get tired of hearing Mac tell us all off-season how improved DT is over last year, then watching Coach Mac not give DT any chance to show any improvemnt by not throwing on 1st down 9 out of the 10 first series of the game, and the one time he did throw was after we were already down 2 touchdowns. Mac knew Houston would load the box. He said so last week. I don't understand why you come out in double tight end sets and bang your head against the wall that is an 8 or 9 man front. It just makes no sense. Want to run the ball? Fine, go four wide and run against a 5 or 6 man front with your front 5. Maybe even throw in a 1st down pass to, I don't know, keep the other team a little off-balance.

It appears that everything Coach Mac said about DT in the off-season was complete coach-speak. Actions mean more than words, and Coach Mac shows EVERY game that he does not trust DT or the receivers in the passing game.

If this is the offensive game plan the rest of the year, get ready for 3-9, with a struggle against USA.

Thats Macs offense, he comes from a big 10 background and that what they do... I dont know how many time we have to tell you but thats the offense game Mac wants to run... I dont agree with it, but thats his game plan

Thats Macs offense, he comes from a big 10 background and that what they do... I dont know how many time we have to tell you but thats the offense game Mac wants to run... I dont agree with it, but thats his game plan

No, that is the game plan of a coach who knows his team has no chance to win and is trying to shorten the game.

A plan for a loss.

• Upvote 1