Full Time Out: Louisiana Lafayette Head Coach Bob Marlin

Harry

MMM: According to Ken Pomeroy, based on your offensive and defensive production last season your team wound up finishing 4-5 wins above where you were projected (.369 win pct.); do you feel like your squad overachieved this past season?

CM: I definitely think that we overachieved at times, but when you look at the end of last season in the (conference) tournament, we wound up losing our last three. Credit to Louisiana-Monroe for playing hard, but we led that one at the half and probably should have won.

Then we had the lead with a couple minutes left against North Texas and lost by three, and then came back home in the CIT and fell to Rice in another close one. Add in the loss (Feb 9th in OT) to Little Rock and we may wind up finishing with 19 or 20 wins.

There is such parity in our league, and coaches like Kermit (Davis at MTSU) have a very strong history built up, but I expect us to be up at the top as well.

MMM: Speaking of that North Texas game, is there anything in particular that made the difference between beating them twice and then losing the third time?

CM: Well, I think it's difficult to defeat any team three times, but we had the lead (62-60) with a couple minutes left and Brandan Walton just made a great shot to win it. North Texas is a very strong team, and you know what a great player Tony Mitchell is - we did a great job with him when you consider that in the three games they played against us, he totaled eleven, seven and five points.

Things like that happen largely because the staff does a great job scouting and adjusting in game. You have to have some things go your way, but it has always made sense to me to try and limit a team's star player and make somebody else beat you.

I followed Hubie Brown back when he was coaching the (Atlanta) Hawks and I believe in his star system - he always said that if you try and "let the star get theirs" and have them score 30, you never know when they get on a roll and before you know it, they have 60.

Read more: http://www.midmajormadness.com/features/2012/10/2/3439752/full-time-out-louisiana-lafayette-head-coach-bob-marlin

I followed Hubie Brown back when he was coaching the (Atlanta) Hawks and I believe in his star system - he always said that if you try and "let the star get theirs" and have them score 30, you never know when they get on a roll and before you know it, they have 60.

Read more: http://www.midmajorm...oach-bob-marlin

Bulletin board material for Tony? Is coach Marlin saying he cant score 60?

• Upvote 2