Realignment evident at Sun Belt Media Day

Harry

NEW ORLEANS — For some, Sun Belt Media Day seemed like the first day of school. For others, it was the last.

The mixture created a peculiar atmosphere Monday as the media event returned to an in-person format for the first time since 2008.

Those schools in attendance offered an accurate representation of the conference realignment running rampant through college sports.

Among the 10 schools here, North Texas and Florida International attended their last Sun Belt Media Day, as both will move to Conference USA in 2013. South Alabama will play its first football season in the Sun Belt, but it will not be eligible to win the championship or play in a bowl game this season. Georgia State and Texas State – both recently announced as new Sun Belt members in 2013 – debuted at Media Day.

New commissioner Karl Benson acknowledged the revolving door of schools at the New Orleans Marriott.

“This is a transition year. I’ve been through a lot of transition years in my previous position (Western Athletic Conference commissioner),” Benson said. “Although it can be awkward, it can also be manageable and very productive. Unlike some other conferences that are having some acrimony and contentiousness, the relationship that we have and will continue to have with North Texas and Florida International is business as usual.”

The warm and fuzzy feeling toward the two departing members was a popular one.

“We’ve been brothers and been across the field from each other,” Troy coach Larry Blakeney said. “We pull for each other when we’re not playing against each other. I wish them the best. I hope they do good, even in another league.”

Read more: http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/20120717/BLUERAIDERS01/307170003/Realignment-evident-Sun-Belt-Media-Day?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p