FAU remains only Sun Belt team without 2013 football commit

Harry

The dog days of summer are the prime time for college football recruiting, but Pelini and FAU stand as the only Sun Belt conference program without a verbal commit from the class of 2013.

While many of the nation's best — and in some cases mediocre — college teams are already working on the class of 2014, the new regime in Boca Raton hasn't been able to make much headway in the nation's hotbed of high school football talent.

Archrival FIU has seven verbal commitments, one of which is an in-state three-star prospect (OL Donald Rocker, Jacksonville-Sandalwood.) The conference's best team, Arkansas State, has nine commits. North Texas, who faces many of the same recruiting pratfalls as FAU (lots of local talent, lots of teams recruiting that talent) has seven commits. Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, Troy and South Alabama all have four.

Read more: http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2012/07/fau_remains_only_sun_belt_team.html

History will tell if DMAC was the right hire but he sure seems to be doing everything right. Check out these comments from a reader and the writer.

Mr. Mac,

Obviously, the situation Pelini inherited did him no favors, but the vitriol that is on and off the record amongst some high school coaches in Palm Beach County is something that certainly made his job harder.

I just got done covering high schools, and not once did I have a coach in Broward or PBC say that Pelini was doing a "great" job. Perhaps silence implied that from some coaches, but there were eight that I can recall off the top of my head that didn't have a nice word to say about the man when it came to how he recruited the hometown boys.

I don't think that vitriol will carry over — it was likely just a bad first impression, but there's no way that doesn't make his already tough job tougher.

--Dieter

Posted by: Dieter Kurtenbach | July 8, 2012 9:29 PM

guys,,,,pellini was wrong hire from outset...what the program needed was a coach with deep florida ties and to bring in one or two top hs coaches along with thier players.the other route was if we able to get a game changer well known coach

..look only to this years FAU HS team camp..they had ONLY 5 TEAMS ...in the past it was at least 15-20....

lets see where the conversations are this time next year...

final thoughts...The new AD is going to figure out that the program needs a game changer at football coach...Jim tressel anyone???? that move is a real possiblity and would change everything.

Posted by: mr reality | July 8, 2012 8:09 AM

Read more: http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2012/07/fau_remains_only_sun_belt_team.html

Edited by GreenFlag