Big East Commissioner forced out

again not true

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/atascocita/sports/upgrades-to-football-stadium-among-many-topics-at-rice-athletics/article_49bc5fec-4323-11e1-8eed-0019bb2963f4.html

their study about dropping down was at least 5 years ago if not more and the conclusion was made to not drop down and that was the end of it

and Tulane just in the last 12 months started talking about a new stadium so it is not like they have been talking about it for 5-6 years and they are still just talking.....Tulane has been talking about their new stadium for half the time that UH has and UH is just now breaking ground so Tulane is not failing to get the money they are just starting to get money

and Tulsa is not Rice academically, but they are not far behind that is for sure and UAB may be out of D1-A football in a few years, but Rice and Tulane won't be

and while SMU has a 1.2 billion dollar endowment and a 750 million dollar campaign Rice has a 4.45 billion dollar endowment and they are near the closing of a billion dollar campaign with half that was raised in the "quiet" phase so Rice can afford to stay in D1-A and their goal of increasing enrollment will help that along with improving facilities including football

I have a guy I want to introduce you to. His mom is going to be dropping him off for the Avengers at the mall. You both seem to need a friend. Y'all would get along famously. Do you play Everquest or Warcraft?

• Downvote 1

1.4 billion endowment, top fifty national ranking, an athletic budget that dwarfs anything UNT can muster up, an additional 750M in fundraising efforts in the past four years alone, incoming freshmen SAT average of 1300, acceptance rate below 40%, three straight bowl games, half of student body from out of state, a presidential library, and entrance into a BCS conference (for now).

Don't make me flick another booger on you by suggesting SMU should quit football. UNT hired a high school coaching staff that managed to run the program into the ground. I like McCarney and I think he'll succeed, but the Mean Green are just potential right now. And in the realm of academia UNT is light years behind SMU. It doesn't mean that UNT is a piss poor university in any way. But in terms of university rankings just in the state of Texas UNT is behind every other major Texas university aside from possibility UT-San Antonio and UT-El Paso. Calling those schools "major" is really a stretch also. So take it easy on the giving up football talk.

Really?

why don't you go take that and frame it and put on your disk? or you know what... take a picture with it :goodjob: since it added nothing to your sports

• Downvote 1

SDSU and Boise are not throwing their other sports under the bus in any way. They are members of the Big East in football only. If the presidents of those schools turned down 15M a year in TV revenue just so their women's volleyball team could play Wyoming instead of Gonzaga they should be strung up on the highest tree on their campus. This is a really stupid argument anyway. The Big East will have a replacement for Marinatto that is a much better salesman and frontman for the conference. This was unanimously approved by all Big East presidents (including the new additions).

The real issue here for UNT is the stability of the Big East. Again, should anything unexpected happen (i.e. Louisville, Cincinatti, Rutgers, and UConn leaving the conference) then you can be rest assured that East Carolina, Southern Miss, and Tulsa will be first in line and believe me they will leave CUSA in a heartbeat. Then you are left with the Sun Belt 2.0 and a few schools who have absolutely no interest in competing in D1A football (Rice, Tulane, UAB). UNT should be hoping and praying for a stabilized Big East.

Ain'tcha kind! I am sure smooo folks have our best interest in mind.

BTW, UNT is joining a conference with a couple of schools who are currently evaluating the landscape of continuing football at the D1A level. Rice, Tulane, and UAB have all had informal discussions on whether or not they will keep it up. Rice I believe is VERY close to coming to the conclusion that football just doesn't make sense for them anymore. They now are in a conference with none of their traditional rivals and other than Tulane have no school that comes anywhere near them academically. Tulane, on the other hand, can't get the $$$ together to build their own stadium. Combined with the lingering effects of Katrina and the school's horrid record in football over the last several years and they're in the same boat. In 5-7 years it wouldn't shock me in the least to see Rice, Tulane, and UAB out of the football racket.

I hear what you are saying, but I think most of the threat is exaggerated. Rice has done multiple studies about every ten years since the 70s about dropping football. The results are always the same - current students and recent alums don't care able football. But somewhere around the ten to fifteen year mark after graduation football becomes the primary way those alums find they reconnect with the university. The reconnection is key to donations to all the departments thus while football doesn't get the majority of donations, it starts the vast majority of conversations about making donations. Let's ace it, most are making significant donations to their schools till after 40.

I don't know much about Tulane, but I suspect they find the same thing is true. As for UAB, that is a school that might drop football more from the opposition of the Alabama board than anything else.

again not true

http://www.yourhoust...19bb2963f4.html

their study about dropping down was at least 5 years ago if not more and the conclusion was made to not drop down and that was the end of it

and Tulane just in the last 12 months started talking about a new stadium so it is not like they have been talking about it for 5-6 years and they are still just talking.....Tulane has been talking about their new stadium for half the time that UH has and UH is just now breaking ground so Tulane is not failing to get the money they are just starting to get money

and Tulsa is not Rice academically, but they are not far behind that is for sure and UAB may be out of D1-A football in a few years, but Rice and Tulane won't be

and while SMU has a 1.2 billion dollar endowment and a 750 million dollar campaign Rice has a 4.45 billion dollar endowment and they are near the closing of a billion dollar campaign with half that was raised in the "quiet" phase so Rice can afford to stay in D1-A and their goal of increasing enrollment will help that along with improving facilities including football

I understand your points... I just don't understand your points

• Upvote 1

Again, don't feed the trolls and the go away. Or just change to yet another name.

Can this board's moderators detect the same ISP address with the same poster no matter how many aliases he might have?

I don't think this board should censure all our visitors we don't agree with, though. I do think censuring a non-stop nuisance is another thing.

GMG!

• Upvote 1