GSU to the Sunbelt is a basketball backstep

NT03

Wow, if they're that good maybe they'll elevate the SBC up to their standards. The only other CAA member that I remember making much of a splash has been Drexel but I'm not that familiar with the others.

Georgia State was pretty good this year but by the time they get in the SBC they may not still be able to dominate. If they can...great. Everyone needs to bring something to the table. Maybe in GSU's case it's basketball.

Yeah, Georgia State basketball is always being discussed around the water fountains of corporate America. And, of course, everyone across the country is riveted to the scores from GSU basketball as the season unfolds.

Wow, if they're that good maybe they'll elevate the SBC up to their standards. The only other CAA member that I remember making much of a splash has been Drexel but I'm not that familiar with the others.

George Mason and VCU both made the Final Four.

George Mason and VCU both made the Final Four.

But, let's look at Georgia st.'s performance in that league, deeper than just this last season, when they had a nice 21-11 (11-7) record, with a couple of nice IN CONFERENCE wins (VCU included).

10/11 record - 12-19 (6-12)

09/10 record - 12-20 (5-13)

08/09 record - 12-20 (8-10)

07/08 record - 9-21 (5-13)

06/07 record - 11-20 (5-13)

05/06 record - 7-22 (3-15)

While they may play in a good conference, they are not historically (at least with recent history) a successful team in that conference. Do they score the upset over the conference leader from time to time? Yes, but that happens in conference games, as we all well know.

Georgia St. also loses 4 of their top 5 scorers to graduation next year, along with 2 other seniors (1 that played 11 minutes a game, another that was a bench guy). I would expect a huge drop off from their 11 conference wins this year. If they played in the Belt next year, I would expect a middle to lower level Belt basketball team.

I don't see their basketball team as a selling point.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't trying to say that they were a contender in the CAA. :) However, if they recruited CAA caliber players, they should be quite competitive off the bat in the SBC.

Oh, I know, I was just pointing out that the "step down" may actually benefit them a lot more than it would benefit the Sun Belt.

And,. in fairness, their leading scorer was a Sophmore last year, so may be something to build around (although he is a guard). I still think they are middle of the pack or worse next year, definitely behind UNT, WKU, MTSU, LALA, and quite possibly UALR and Arkansas St. I know, they won't be in our conference next year, but too many variables to go 2 years out.