Thoughts on the UNT calendar

Reb UT '70

I was just setting up my PIM to track when and where I must be to conform to the UNT calendar and I found some unusual matches. I uderstand the difficulty in doing a schedule, I've done my share, so please don't think I am complaining.

10/5 Parents day ---- Soccer chicks in Denver & Wy

11/02 Homecoming ----- Soccer chicks in Mobile for SBC tourney

Labor day and MLK are the only 'day' holidays. I think those two are great, but why not others? I certainly would take Vets day over Labor day, if we can only have two, but why not add one and do President's day? I am second to none in my respect for Dr. King, I met him once, but there were other great Americans who are honored as well. Okay I might be complaining about the choice of 'days' to celebrate.

Just a few thoughts as I put together my own schedule.

Personally, I hated the spring months in grade school. It was riddled with 4 day weeks on top of spring break. It actually drew out the spring semester by something like 2 weeks. Teacher inservice days were a forced holiday since the teachers couldn't work a little extra at home or at school after the school day was over to finish grades for a grading period.

Now in college, I'm glad we don't break for every single holiday. It's tough enough having a Monday off (Labor day) this fall, because it puts you behind all your other classes, especially in my case where all my classes meet once a week.

I can understand limiting holidays, but why only those two? Are they the most important? Frankly the one that puts a bur in my blanket is the Labor day holiday. If I were focred to have only two it would be President's day and either King or Vet's day. I'd probably go with King because we also have Memorial day.

I think those two are observed is because it's still early in the semester. You start getting farther into the semester, and it becomes more difficult to make up material.

Good Friday is a half day, but there aren't a lot of Friday afternoon classes.

The University lumps its holidays for staff into two timeperiods -- Christmas Break and Spring Break. This allows for closing the university for extended days and saving on utilities.

That doesn't leave many other holidays due to the number of days allowed for state employees. As a result, there are only a few more days to choose. I guess they are spread out on purpose.

Note also that the university is not closed on Labor Day or MLK Day, but no classes are held. Many staff members work those days, and others have to take vacation days if they want off.

You are right, the new academic calender does show the university closed on MLK day for the coming year -- but that will be the first time (classes were out last January, but not staff).

I don't have to work if classes are out -- so it's hard for me to keep up.