"Denton" ad in Texas Monthly

MGW

Voice your opinion as to the city's...systematic decision to exclude itself from the University of North Texas. In this ad, the title states: "Denton ... and all that jazz!" No mention of the UNT's music program or its incredible, and I mean INCREDIBLE, music and performance facilities/venues.

The rest of the text in the ad reads as follows:

"Denton's award-winning historic downtown square is a must-see! Linger amid charming boutiques, endless galleries and antique shops and explore teh history captured in the city's extensive museums and one-of-a-kind collections. Complete your weekend with theatre, dance and musical performances held year 'round. Hotels, motels and B&Bs are plentiful, with great values... just 30 minutese north of Dallas and Fort Worth. Let us show you all there is to discover in Denton."

I don't mean to beat up on the City's ad guys, but I've visited Denton five times in the last year, and none of those trips were because of "the city's extensive museums." I mean, know your strengths and your weaknesses.

Denton was a cool town while I was in school there, and I think it would be a lot better off as a city to emphasize more of the arts, the wisdom, and the fun that its universities bring to the city. Alas.

I guess the Mean Green will just have go it alone even though an alliance with the city could spell great news for everyone.

For those of you with the Texas Monthly, the ad is on page 74 of the July 2003 edition.

I am glad I was not the only one that felt that way.

When I saw that ad for Denton with NO mention of UNT, I couldn't believe it. The city is really making me mad lately. Seems to me they are trying to distance themselves as much as possible from the university which is ridiculous because the school is what keeps the town alive.

I've enjoyed going to school in Denton but why should I continue to say good things about this city and reccommend the places around here that I love when the city could care less about the students that call it home.

I think the phasing out of Fry Street Fair was what they thought of as their first triumph of this dissassociation.

To me, it is crazy.

I enjoy seeing a college town support it's local university. Unlike Denton, whenever I stay in another so-called college town, like Hattiesburg or Stillwater, I'm always impressed by how they partner advertising with the school to promote the city. Denton has never taken advantage of that opportunity, they just don't get it. I too would spend no money in Denton if it wasn't for attending a UNT sporting event. How much other revenue are they losing because they won't help attract fans to games? sad.gif

Has anyone from the college broached the Chamber of Commerce about why the reference to either college was omitted?

There needs to be a lot of fence-mending, working together and strategizing to make the university and community move forward.

If Denton is really interested in promoting their historic side, they could take notes in Granbury. How about shops and museums downtown? How about using the old Campus Theater for musicals and stage shows? It seem to me that with the college talent available there would better quality shows than those in Granbury and they're very good. That could be a good training ground for our fine arts and music majors

The point is use your assets. Denton has a lot going for it...size, location, two universities, and money (at least if the number of banks is an indication). I can't believe that a Chamber director is stupid enough to ignore a large part of what makes Denton great.

The point is use your assets.  Denton has a lot going for it...size, location, two universities, and money (at least if the number of banks is an indication).  I can't believe that a Chamber director is stupid enough to ignore a large part of what makes Denton great.

Denton has never been very progressive when it comes to advertising and using city assets to generate revenue. Many of the "old nesters" that remain would just as soon prefer that everyone on the interstate bypass the town and move on to the next city.

Many of the "old nesters" that remain would just as soon prefer that everyone on the interstate bypass the town and move on to the next city.

I don't know all the details, but it seems that is what the WalMart Dist. Center folks did when they chose Sanger, Texas, to build their huge facility just down the highway from to Top of the Golden Triangle.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen