UNT lands La. running back

Brett Vito

Dodge's 2008 class was ranked in the top 70 in the nation, and what did that get us??

Nothing, because one of the many things he had no clue about was developing young men from high school players to FBS college football players. There is tangible evidence that this staff will be much better at developing players (Ybarbo, Warner, Delgado, Orr, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head) than anything we have seen around here in forever.

You can't grade this class for at least another 2 years.

Cyril Lemon is the one that jumps out in my mind.

Don't be discouraged by the fact that we are 2nd in the conference by "star count"..

Try This (2* as per Rivals)

2007 Class- Matt Tomlinson, J.J. Johnson, Micah Mosley

2008 Class- AK47, Lance Dunbar, Royce Hill, Jeremy Phillips

2009 Class- Will Atterberry, Ryan Boutwell, Darius Carey (since dismissed), Kelvin Jackson, Mike Outlaw, Derek Thompson

2010 Class- Chris Bynes, Brandon Byrd, Brelan Chancellor, Antonio Johnson, Will Wright, Mason Y'Barbo

2011 Class- Larimie Lee, Cyril Lemon, Alex Lincoln, Michael Stojkovic

Are these not names you see making plays when the Mean Green hit the field?

For the record.... Dodge's 3* Commits of 2008 Included:

DaWaylon Cook

Riley Dodge

Justin Edwards

Troy Franklin

James Hamilton

Kylee Hill

Alonzo Horton

Nate Jenkins

4 of those guys came from a JC........

Wow, that puts it in perspective.

I looked at a 2008 recruiting list recently specifically for QB's and Riley Dodge was ranked right behind Andrew Luck, 23 spots ahead of Robert Griffin and 45 spots ahead of Jordan Jefferson. Not to knock Riley, but we all know how that turned out. I think that shows you that those lists have limited merit.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1

Dodge's 2008 class was ranked in the top 70 in the nation, and what did that get us??

Nothing, because one of the many things he had no clue about was developing young men from high school players to FBS college football players. There is tangible evidence that this staff will be much better at developing players (Ybarbo, Warner, Delgado, Orr, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head) than anything we have seen around here in forever.

You can't grade this class for at least another 2 years.

I couldn't agree more, although I might even say you can't grade a class until year 3. I was just responding to Grand's comments that this class is full of borderline players.

Some other names to consider that were not highly regarded coming out of high school:

Scott Hall

Patrick Cobbs

Johnny Quinn

Casey Fitzgerald

Jeremiah Chapman

Tobe Nwigwe

Kelvin Drake

Esteban Santiago

I don't know how "highly regarded" Scott Hall was coming out of high school, but I do remember how impressive he was in a semi-final game playoff game against Port Neches-Groves at Kyle field. He ran his teams offense very efficiently and his passing was usually dead on. Great long ball for a HS quarterback. Seriously, I thought to myself what a find he would be if UNT could get him. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised when it actually happened!