Your Favorite Texas/Southwest Sportswriter &

Growing up in the Houston area, I always liked sportswriter Mickey Herskowitz who wrote for the Houston Post with Clark Nealon as its Sports Editor. The Post folded, ie, Dallas Times Herald, and Herskowitz went to the Houston Chronicle. I cannot recall what happened to the late Clark Nealon when the Post went belly up? Anyone from the Houston area remember?

I liked play by play man Gene Elston of the Houston Colt .45's whose mascot name changed in 1965 to Astros. Lowell Passe was his most colorful color man. Elston also did play by play for the UH Cougars about the time in the 1960's they started their college football upswing.

Morris Frank of Houston was a radio sports personality who had a very East Texas twang for a Jewish guy who was pretty popular in the Houston area back in the 1960's.

I have many others in the DFW I could also list but maybe some of you will do that.

Overall Play by play men? George Dunham & Bill Mercer of course.

Basketball play by play? Chuck Cooperstien

Radio/TV Team (Play by play/color)? Ralph Strangis and Darryl Reaugh

Pro Football Team? Brad Schramm and Dale Hansen

Print Media Columnist? Blackie Sherrod

Feature/Beat Writer? Tim MacMahon

Personality? Randy Galloway

Character(s)? The Fake Tiger, Fake Chan Gailey, Fake Billy Tubbs and The Big Suthern Dummy

Have you read The Junction Boys yet PMG? Herskowitz plays a big part in that story as he was the young writer covering the Aggies.

I think Josh Lewin and Tom Grieve do a great job for the Rangers. Lewin is funny and Grieve knows a ton of baseball and keeps things upbeat.

I like Tim Cowlishaw from the DMN for my print favorite.

I listen to the Big Show every day, and while Cooperstein may not have the most sparkling personality, he knows what he is talking about.

PMG, you might find it interesting that I have an autographed copy of Mickey's book "The Golden age of Football (The 50's)". Mickey is also a great author as that book and the Bear Bryant book he wrote were excellent...

as far as commentating tandems...Ralph Strangis and Darryl Reaugh (sp?) are the best...

worst...Bill Walton...

worst...Bill Walton...

The sad thing is that ABC is grooming the next Walton in Tom Tolbert, and before it's over he will be worse than Walton. The job they do when they are together is horrible. They spend more time trying to see who can say the funniest thing or most off the wall comment and it really takes away from the game.

The Sunday Night NFL crew is second worse though, they argue the whole game with each other about nothing. It's like the FOX pregame show during a game, and that's not good.

If you were not around during the days of The Dallas Chaparrals you missed the best play by play man ever to call games in N. Texas. Terry Stembridge was a master at giving listeners a vocal picture of what was going on, what the setting was, the atmosphere in the various arenas. Last I heard he was in E. Texas and as a sideline to his regular job was doing radio work for one of the JC programs in that area.

Writer.....Blackie, no one touches him.

Novelist.......If you have not read Dan Jenkins........shame on you.

All sports fans need to read of the TCU quest for Tonsilitis and Artootis the twin running backs that would propel them to fame. Remember this was written prior to the Davis fiasco yet closely mirrored those events. Jenkins is a must.

PMG, you might find it interesting that I have an autographed copy of Mickey's book "The Golden age of Football (The 50's)". Mickey is also a great author as that book and the Bear Bryant book he wrote were excellent...

as far as commentating tandems...Ralph Strangis and Darryl Reaugh (sp?) are the best...

worst...Bill Walton...

Fellas, I have neither read the book or watched the movie, The Junction Boys, but I will in due time. I heard the ESPN movie was not all that great, is that true?

Also, doesn't Ralph Strangis teach at UNT?

<>*<> When Gene Stallings was at the UNT SuperPit for his forum 3 years ago, it was an honor for me just to be in the same room with him because I've known about his part in the Junction story most of my life. As a HS kid, me and another buddy from Alvin, Texas, went to the last game Stallings coached at TAMU (DKR and Co. tore up the poor Ags that day).

Wished Coach Stallings could have had a little more luck with the Aggies, but this was before I really believe TAMU started really getting into their Permanent University Fund pipeline to bring their facilities and whole program in general up to a higher level.

Junction, Texas? Used to have some friends from Junction, Texas.

???? Wasn't UT Longhorn's Outland Trophy winner of 1963, Scott Appleton, from Junction? Sorry, I forgot, he was from Brady (not far from Junction).