MWC seeks to end BCS, proposes 16-team playoff

NT80

"Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson, in an interview with The Arizona Republic, estimated a playoff would generate $700 million annually for college football, more than three times the nearly$182 million the BCS generated last year."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/mountain-west-would-like-to-see-16-team-football-playoff/1

Have you read it?

It is designed to screw the small conferences.

Seeds 1-8 get big money and then the money drops by seed from 9 to 16, automatic bid is goofy and designed to keep the unwashed out.

I have not seen the proposal in whole. Does it allow smaller conferences playoff access? That is the key, not the money.

The SunBelt now gets little $ from the BCS as well as slim to no chance for BCS Bowl access. We have no access now if SBC schedules figure into the math. I doubt any unbeaten 12-0 SBC team would qualify for a BCS bowl just because of strength of schedule formulas.

If the SBC is allowed any kind of auto-access into a 16-team playoff format then I'm for it!

Edited by NT80

"Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson, in an interview with The Arizona Republic, estimated a playoff would generate $700 million annually for college football, more than three times the nearly$182 million the BCS generated last year."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/mountain-west-would-like-to-see-16-team-football-playoff/1

This guy needs to run for President. CUSA and MWC need to forget about AQ and bowl games and need to set up the playoff system. The decision is real simple "show me the money" ! Be the first and others will follow . The bowl system and the NCAA are obsolete ! The days r numbered. :sword: GMG !

• Upvote 1

Craig Thompson of the MWC is like Karl Benson of the WAC.......it's called self-preservation and maybe even a " to hell with any schools outside "MY" league that gets left out in the rain" attitude.

I hope the U.S Congress (who needs to butt out of most aspects of American's daily lives) will at least check into what is going on with today's NCAA.

I think whatever the solution they come up with the smaller conferences will always get screwed anyways.

Yet we have a basketball tourney where the #1 seed gets the same dollars for showing up as the last team in. Of course #1 usually ends up making a lot more because they end up playing more than one game.

• Upvote 1

Yet we have a basketball tourney where the #1 seed gets the same dollars for showing up as the last team in. Of course #1 usually ends up making a lot more because they end up playing more than one game.

Yes. A playoff in every sport in the NCAA, at every level and in every division, with access by all conferences in that division, with equal payouts to all...except...FBS football.

Edited by NT80

Yes. A playoff in every sport in the NCAA, at every level and in every division, with acess by all conferences in that division, with equal payouts to all...except...FBS football.

But don't you know, it's about the student athlete. A playoff system would take too long and interfere with their studies and finals...

• Downvote 1