UNT looks at ways to Improve now

Harry

North Texas running back Lance Dunbar lifted the spirits of his head coach by asking one simple question after the Mean Green lost to Florida International in its season opener Thursday.

UNT was blown out 41-16 by the Golden Panthers, who held Dunbar to 43 yards, a dramatic drop-off from the final five games of last season, when he averaged 188.2 yards a game.

“Lance Dunbar came to me after that game and asked, ‘Can we go back and practice right now, coach Mac?’” UNT head coach Dan McCarney said Tuesday. “That sent a message to me. They are not going to accept it. This is not what we are about and not what we worked nine months for. Let’s get better and try to improve.”

Dunbar’s gesture was just one of several positive signs McCarney has seen from his team since its struggles in the opener.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_untnotes_0907.13d5248a3.html

Good article. I don't expect to beat a very good Houston team this week but I do hope to see the Mean Green play better across the board.

It's off topic for this thread but one item in the DRC link bothered me a lot:

a minimum of five games on ESPNU that will be scheduled for Thursday or Friday nights.

Friday night is for high school football.

I agree, but ESPN could care less about high school football, and schools will do as ESPN asks because money talks. I don't like it, but that is the way it is today.

I think ESPN cares ALOT about HS football. They're trying to put it on the Longhorn Netowrk. If you can find some teams with legit college prospects playing, or traditional powerhouses, people will watch.

glad to see your players have pride in the program and that they appreciate what coach Mac is trying to do at UNT. a lot of us were disappointed when he left ISU but im glad he found a new HC job and hopefully he makes you guys successful!! good luck tomorrow against houston and wish us luck against the hawkeyes tomorrow!