10 Players you Need to Know From UNT

All About UNT

10 Players you Need to Know From UNT

sorry if this is a repost. Also....very disheartening to see stories for every other local team except us in the DMN. Make sure you let Chuck Carlton of the DMN know how you feel.

DMN Sports

I guess it would be nice for the rest of the readers of The Dallas Morning News to be exposed to a Mean Green article.

But for the rest of us, it would likely be a Brett Vito/D-RC rerun showing up in the DMN.

After all, Vito is essentially the DMN beat writer for North Texas sports.

What is really too bad is that we don't get much in the way of coverage in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

It would really be nice - REALLY BE NICE - to get a perspective different from Vito's from at least one metroplex daily publication.

GMG

• Upvote 2

I guess it would be nice for the rest of the readers of The Dallas Morning News to be exposed to a Mean Green article.

But for the rest of us, it would likely be a Brett Vito/D-RC rerun showing up in the DMN.

After all, Vito is essentially the DMN beat writer for North Texas sports.

What is really too bad is that we don't get much in the way of coverage in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

It would really be nice - REALLY BE NICE - to get a perspective different from Vito's from at least one metroplex daily publication.

GMG

Agreed. One of the reasons I no longer subscribe.

JRock

Vito does a good job and certainly seems to work hard but I agree a different viewpoint would be nice. NT is lucky that it has any dedicated reporters but with him reporting for the DMN, DRC and Texas Football, his opinions are way over published. I think Vito would love to move on to other sport coverages and he deserves the opportunity. Vito is not a NT fan or should he be; but covering one team for as long as he has, is tough.

Vito does a good job and certainly seems to work hard but I agree a different viewpoint would be nice. NT is lucky that it has any dedicated reporters but with him reporting for the DMN, DRC and Texas Football, his opinions are way over published. I think Vito would love to move on to other sport coverages and he deserves the opportunity. Vito is not a NT fan or should he be; but covering one team for as long as he has, is tough.

I know I'm biased, but I don't think covering UNT sports is the purgatory you make it out to be. Especially for someone who can look at all the positive changes that have come to UNT athletics in the time he has been here, even though the W's have been lacking on the football field. And as long as he's covered UNT, he ought to know things inside and out, and know who to talk to to find out information. Vito does a good job overall, but there are a lot of other sportswriters who would be thrilled to have his job.

Agreed, but his negativity disguised as objectivity is tough on the supporters of this program, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I know I'm biased, but I don't think covering UNT sports is the purgatory you make it out to be. Especially for someone who can look at all the positive changes that have come to UNT athletics in the time he has been here, even though the W's have been lacking on the football field. And as long as he's covered UNT, he ought to know things inside and out, and know who to talk to to find out information. Vito does a good job overall, but there are a lot of other sportswriters who would be thrilled to have his job.

Where did I said covering NT sports was not a good job much less purgatory? However, almost everyone wants to advance their career and you are not doing that covering the same team forever. My reference to NT being lucky to have a full time reporter has more to do with the state of the newspaper business than it does NT. There obviously are new reporters that would probably love to have Vito's job but I doubt it is very high on many seasoned sports reporter's list.

Where did I said covering NT sports was not a good job much less purgatory?

I may have misunderstood you, but that's certainly how it came across.

I think Vito would love to move on to other sport coverages and he deserves the opportunity.

There obviously are new reporters that would probably love to have Vito's job but I doubt it is very high on many seasoned sports reporter's list.

Maybe not, but it should be. It really is an exciting time to be part of North Texas sports in any capacity. If we think so lowly of ourselves, why should others think better of us?

Anyway, I am sure Troy Phillips is one seasoned sportswriter who would love to have Vito's job, and I am sure there are others.

I also agree it is terrible to have a beat writer like Brett who never has anything

in the DMN like a school to the south of us. I know there is news daily to report, but

we are lucky if there is only a short paragraph about things going on at UNT. I feel we

should all write the DMN complaining about the lack of UNT coverage and also complain

to Brett about his lack of intrest in writing articles about the team, stadium, and school.

It is a shame to have the poor coverage we get in newsprint as well as radio and tv coverage.

SCRAPPYMAN 1

As a young sports writer, who graduated from UNT, I have to say that Vito's job is my dream job.

He does an excellent job at what he does. I've given him grief on here in the past (mainly because he liked to steal my seat at post game press conferences when I was at the NT Daily) but he really does a good job. We should be happy to have him.

• Downvote 2