North Texas Game Talk On Cougar Board

Harry

Come on now, is there any evidence to deter them from thinking this way? We have no idea how our boys will perform under the new regime. We all have high hopes that things will be better... until our football program proves we are not doormats, everyone outside our circle of hope and support will doubt there will be improvement. They have a 6th year QB that has been in the conversation for best in the country, putting up cartoon numbers along the way. We shall see, but we will have freakin awesome seats to see what unfolds... my guess is that the game ends up like the Kansas state game... BUT, I can not wait to see it. they can put up the laker fan over-confidence as if they know what will happen. It was fun for me to see them be dead wrong. Maybe this happens for coog fans... or maybe they are right...

But really, who cares what they write on their fan forum... as long as their fans leave extremely jealous of our venue and atmosphere, I am ok with whatever happens in this game.... for the most part. Gmg

• Upvote 2

Come on now, is there any evidence to deter them from thinking this way? We have no idea how our boys will perform under the new regime. We all have high hopes that things will be better... until our football program proves we are not doormats, everyone outside our circle of hope and support will doubt there will be improvement. They have a 6th year QB that has been in the conversation for best in the country, putting up cartoon numbers along the way. We shall see, but we will have freakin awesome seats to see what unfolds... my guess is that the game ends up like the Kansas state game... BUT, I can not wait to see it. they can put up the laker fan over-confidence as if they know what will happen. It was fun for me to see them be dead wrong. Maybe this happens for coog fans... or maybe they are right...

But really, who cares what they write on their fan forum... as long as their fans leave extremely jealous of our venue and atmosphere, I am ok with whatever happens in this game.... for the most part. Gmg

Pretty much how I see it. Unless numerous X factors go our way, Houston should be expected to win by at least 2 TDs. But those X-factors are worth considering.

Look at passing games. We have a QB that is for the most part untested and unproven, they have a QB who was a leading Heisman candidate last year. Patrick Edwards and Tyron Carrier are unbelievable WRs. Other than Darius Carey, we don't really have a proven playmaker at WR, and he's not shown himself to be in their class--yet. We have also lost Victor Gill to protect the QB's blind side. They averaged 327 yards passing a game last year mostly without Keenum. Our secondary has been suspect, and our D-line has failed to get to the QB. Does a healthy Stephen Ford change that? Does the added experience/strength and conditioning of our secondary and D-ends change that? Do the new coaching and defensive schemes improve that? And on the offensive side, will we see the Derek Thompson that drove UNT down the field 68 yards in a little over a minute against Arkansas State in 2009? Hard to say.

As for running games, their RB is no slouch. Bruce Beall was C-USA all-conference last year. But he's not Lance Dunbar. I like our running back better than theirs, and I love our depth at RB, but we'll be breaking in a new OL. We will also be breaking in two new starting DTs to try and stop their run.

We need to exploit their defense--they were one of the worst in the country last year. Part of that is playing in offensive-minded C-USA and part of that is Houston scoring as quickly as they do. But those factors don't excuse giving up 433 yards a game. Our coaches need to exploit the weakness in that defense and score a bunch.

That said, I don't think we can win if we have to match TD's with them a la Navy 2007, but if our defense can step up and make big stops, we have a chance.

• Upvote 1