Recruiting North Of The Red River

DFWBigMac

Long time lurker here, first post on the new boards (yep have lurked THAT long!) so please bear with me.

Has anyone in the new staff been assigned Oklahoma for recruiting? Have noticed Louisiana-Monroe has been hitting the state hard this year. There are several of kids in the Tulsa area that may fall to ULM that need to end up in Denton.

Long time lurker here, first post on the new boards (yep have lurked THAT long!) so please bear with me.

Has anyone in the new staff been assigned Oklahoma for recruiting? Have noticed Louisiana-Monroe has been hitting the state hard this year. There are several of kids in the Tulsa area that may fall to ULM that need to end up in Denton.

I seriously doubt that anyone from the prior staff followed on any Oklahoma recruits. We may still have a lineman from Norman and a quarterback from Lawton on our boards but likely no contact with them in months. We had a verbal from another lineman who rescinded and committed to BYU (he had to take two years off for a mission trip anyway).

No recruiting assignments for the new staff have been announced. This will be a good recruiting staff and I'd guess that someone will cover Oklahoma.

ULM has been agressive this year. They took a very good running back out of Gilmer, TX.

I seriously doubt that anyone from the prior staff followed on any Oklahoma recruits. We may still have a lineman from Norman and a quarterback from Lawton on our boards but likely no contact with them in months. We had a verbal from another lineman who rescinded and committed to BYU (he had to take two years off for a mission trip anyway).

No recruiting assignments for the new staff have been announced. This will be a good recruiting staff and I'd guess that someone will cover Oklahoma.

ULM has been agressive this year. They took a very good running back out of Gilmer, TX.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Chuck Petersen recruited OK and Arkansas as well as some JC.

As I posted Chuck Petersen recruited OK and Ark...I saw several prospect players from each state had offers plus some JC's ....The lineman from OK that decomitted from NT to BYU was recruited by our Offensive coordinator...interium head coach.....

There have been a couple of OL's from Oklahoma listed as prospects of our's that I hope we are still after, but my one concern has been the time to get this staff in place and the lost time recruiting. Then again, it has been so silent except for the Osborn, Wright and Akunne that maybe this is how McCarney prefers it. All speculation on my part.

When is the next big weekend for visits and are we in a silent/no contact period at this time?

As posted somewhere a couple of months ago, about some OK prep QB, ULM's Todd Berry has long, deep ties into Oklahoma:

-He grew up in Oklahoma

-Played his college ball and graduated from the University of Tulsa

-Was an assistant and Tulsa and Oklahoma State

Many guys he grew up with and played with and against in high school and college are now also in their late 40s/early 50s and coaching in Oklahoma. So, I wouldn't freak out over ULM getting some guys out of Oklahoma; it's just Berry going back to his home base. We hope our coaches are doing the same thing where they have old recruiting ties.

• Upvote 1

Somewhat familiar with Berry's past (I'm a long time OSU alum/fan) and very familiar with the importance of coaching ties. Did not mean to appear to be freaking out, but am concerned with the in-roads made by ULM in areas that I have long wished UNT would establish a small foothold, namely the OKC metro area and SW/SE Oklahoma. Of course, these areas would only be used to supplement the primary recruiting in Texas.

However, what got my attention were the following two recruits (Tulsa area) and then later seeing the number of kids who listed an interest in ULM (albeit as a fallback). Feel like UNT should be that fallback program and that we should be able to hold our own or better when recruiting against our Sunbelt brethren. Yes, realize this is a new staff coming in late and I have no doubt that next year will be very different. Just hoping we begin to make some in-roads this year as well! :)

Notable ULM OK commits:

OL/DL/LB- Derrick Alexander, Jr.

Booker T. Washington (5A State Champs)

6’3/260/???

1st team All-State (Oklahoman & Tulsa World)

Tulsa World’s OK POY

Rivals 2-stars, Scout 2-stars

OL-Ben Risenhoover – Jenks

6’ 3”/270/5.3

1st team All-State (Tulsa World)

2nd team All-State (Oklahoman)

Rivals 2-stars, Scout 2-stars

Anyway looking forward to seeing how the next month plays out!

• Upvote 1