2004 MEAN GREEN SOFTBALL SCHEDULE

ssegal

North Texas Announces 2004 Softball Schedule

DENTON, Texas— North Texas has announced its 2004 softball schedule, marking the return of a Mean Green program that was disbanded in 1988. The initial schedule of the new era features matchups with nine teams currently ranked in the top 25 of the USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association rankings.

The Mean Green will begin the 2004 season at Texas A&M on Feb. 4. The game will mark a return for North Texas head coach Stacey Segal who played for the Aggies from 1990-93. The game will also be the first of five matchups against Big 12 opponents during the season.

Following the season opener, North Texas will play in a six-team tournament hosted by Baylor from Feb. 6-8. North Texas will host Northwood University in its home opener on Feb. 10, which will be followed by a game at Texas on Feb. 11. The Longhorns are currently ranked No. 5 in the latest USA Today poll.

Next on the schedule for North Texas is a six-team tournament at Texas-San Antonio, followed by a single game at Oklahoma, which is ranked No. 4 in the latest USA Today poll. The Mean Green will host the Betlin Round-Up from Feb. 20-22, featuring seven teams, including current nationally-ranked Oklahoma State.

A single home game against Centenary College comes before the Frost Cutlery Classic in Chattanooga, Tenn. Feb. 27-29. Nationally-ranked Alabama will highlight the Frost Cutlery Classic field. The Mean Green takes the road for tournaments in Arizona and California during the first two weeks of March, facing many of the nations top teams, including perennial powers Arizona and UCLA. The Hillenbrand Tournament in Tucson, Ariz. will feature a matchup with Arizona, which ranks third in the latest USA Today poll. The Headrick’s Hallowell Chevrolet Classic at Fresno, Calif. will feature three teams currently ranked, including nine-time national champion UCLA.

Beginning March 20, North Texas will be home for two weeks, hosting games against Northwestern State (Okla.), Texas-Arlington, Stephen F. Austin and the Wells Fargo Classic.

North Texas begins Sun Belt play at Florida International April 10. The Mean Green will also play at Louisiana-Lafayette and Middle Tennessee before playing its conference home-opener against New Mexico State May 1. Western Kentucky will also travel to Denton in the final regular-season series for North Texas May 8-9. The Sun Belt Conference Championship will be held in Lafayette, La. May 14-16.

Throughout the season, the Mean Green will face teams that have combined to win 19 of the 21 NCAA championships of all time.

Segal recently completed her first recruiting class, made up of five junior college transfers and eight high school seniors.

Yes- we will be hosting a 7 team tournament in Feb. and another tournament in March that will be a 4 team tournament...

The first tournament will include and be highlighted by:

Oklahoma State University

Creighton University

Wichita State University

Southwest Missouri State

UTA

University of New Mexico......

2nd tournament will be in March

Harvard University

University of Northern Colorado

TBA

Do tough teams want to schedule UNT just because we are a new program? Has it been hard trying to get those same tough teams to come to Denton for a return game? And finally, where will the team play in 2004 and will the UNT field be ready by the 2005 season? thanks

NT 80-

I do not think that tough teams want to schedule UNT JUST because we are a new program... I know ALL the coaches in the Big XIV and I consider myself to be their peers. Ive worked camps, clinics, and have attended conventions with them.

I do think that some coaches may consider UNT to be a less challenging game in our first season, but I also know that NO ONE expects us to roll over and play dead.

I also think that Universities want change and enjoy playing someone different on a yearly basis. When you play a 56-65 game schedule as season, you tend to compete against many of the same teams more than once...

I think in 2005 when out stadium is complete, some of our away opponents will return the favor.. It's very difficult to get a team that on a daily basis plays in a stadium with locker rooms, etc.... that seats 4,000-6,000 to come to Denton to play in a park.

In 2004, we will play at Denia Park off of I-35 and Fort Worth Drive. I have all faith to believe that our stadium will be complete by the 2005 season.

GO MEAN GREEN!

ss