Breaking Down Our Losses And Needs

Harry

I put the projected number we need to recruit in partenthesis. I allotted 25 spots so this is not scientific.

(2) QB - Dodge returns and hopefully we get a healthy Nathan Tune (probably a longshot) and Derek Thompson. My sense is they will sign at least one JUCO QB and possibly two if there is quality. If they can land a stud HS player they will do that as well. The injury bug requires attention in this spot right away. My guess is they will sign 2-3.

(2) RB - Only graduation loss is Micah Mosley. Dunbar is back for his swan song and with a healthy Hamilton and Brandon Byrd provides a nice one two punch off the bench. Look for them to land another big time back who could potentially replace Dunbar. I also think they will try to land a kid with some size that can move the pile. This is a position that they are trying to build for the future, after Dunbar is gone. Always sign 2 running backs and this year is no exception.

(1) TE: Draylen Ross is a big graduation loss and they lose Gilmartin Donahue as well. Back are Olawale and the interesting one RS Graylin Hawkins who has some size. I expect that Coach Mac will look for at least 1 true tight end prospect that can block and catch the ball and perhaps even 2.

(2) WR: Pretty significant losses with star Jamaal Jackson, Michael Outlaw, Alex Lott and Breece Johnson. Carey returns as does deep threat Tyler Stradford. I would like to see 2 quality wide receivers sign, perhaps three at the most. Dodge had 14 ships for wide receivers, and I think that will change under Coach Mac who will go for quality over quantity.

(3) OL: Big big losses here including three starters Santiago, Drake and Gill. JJ is hopefully back healthy to man the center position and the biggest surprise to me was the play of Jeremy Bean and Aaron Fortenberry who return along with Matt Tomlinson, Adedipe, Leppo, Y'Barbo, and Franklin. Interesting to see if Antonion Johnson and John Noble can get into the mix as both have big time bodies. I would like to see 3-4 offensive linemen and two of them should probably be juco's.

(4) DEnds: The only losses are Demario Dixon and John "Bust" Weber. AK 47 and Obi are both back, now they just need some size to go with it. We've been through this a lot, this is the toughest position to get playmakers at and I will be watching Coach Mac and his staff closely because this position is the biggest area of need for turnarounds (see Darrell Daniels and the impact he had back in the day). Probably need to sign 3 maybe 4 with at least two from juco.

(5) DT: Biggest loss for this program are the graduation of Atkinson and Jackson. Chris Anyiem has big time potential as does Kyle White and I can't wait to see what Mac and Nelson can get done there. Still as Chico said, we need at least two juco defensive tackles and I would like to see us sign 3-4 high schoolers. This is Mac's best position, our young guys have yet to show any signs of development on the field and I look for him to make a splash here right away at this particular position.

(2) LB Another huge loss area with future HOF Craig Robertson and middle linebacker AJ Penson gone. Phillips is a good and I think Zac Orr will be fine at the middle. I expect them to sign 2 high school guys here.

(4) DB: Looks like we lose Gordon, Neal and Ira Smith. This team needs more speed but they desperately need a more physical presence in the secondary. I am guessing they may sign one juco cover corner and 1 high school speedster to develop and two high school safety types for the future.

(0) Kicker: Looks great with Olen coming on and having three more years.

(0) Punter: Could see them use a ship here if a jewel comes along.

Deep snapper: Kokjohn had a good year and is back.

What happened to using 18 ships on big uglies? :)

As far as signing more than 3 WRs, that might depend on how often Coach Mac and Chico want to use a 4 wide set. Even so, our roster is now built for the 4 wide set, so 2-3 might still be plenty. Christopher Bynes comes back next year, who everybody sounded pretty high on. Benny Jones could also potentially be back if he applies for and gets a medical RS.

At DE, I really think Bellazin is going to be a stud. I'm not sure why his PT disappeared about 1/3 way through the season. If he applies himself during the offseason, he and Brandon McCoy should be solid next year. I think we'll definitely want to sign at least one JUCO DE, but I don't know that we need to sign more unless they are something special.

Good thoughts, Harry.

What happened to using 18 ships on big uglies? :)

As far as signing more than 3 WRs, that might depend on how often Coach Mac and Chico want to use a 4 wide set. Even so, our roster is now built for the 4 wide set, so 2-3 might still be plenty. Christopher Bynes comes back next year, who everybody sounded pretty high on. Benny Jones could also potentially be back if he applies for and gets a medical RS.

At DE, I really think Bellazin is going to be a stud. I'm not sure why his PT disappeared about 1/3 way through the season. If he applies himself during the offseason, he and Brandon McCoy should be solid next year. I think we'll definitely want to sign at least one JUCO DE, but I don't know that we need to sign more unless they are something special.

Good thoughts, Harry.

I believe Benny Jones will be back if I remember correctly

Also I wouldn't rule out Anotonio Johnson playing either DL or TE. He's a athetlic big man who will be a factor wherever he plays in the future

I tink the loss by graduation of Victor Gill has been understated. He protected the blindside for what seemed like ten years.

In the games I could watch this year, edge passers were bearing the right tackle, badly.

So I am going to go with needing a left tackle through attrition, and a right tackle due to non-performance.

I noticed on the football roster on meangreensports.com that Troy Franklin is listed as an OT, but in the Kansas State program he was listed as a DE. Does anyone know which is correct and what the prospects for Franklin are? He was such a highly regarded recruit, yet he has seemed to have gotten lost on the depth chart.

Look out for Richard "Big Country" Abbe to have a great upcoming year at DT. They told him last summer to put on some weight so he did and gained 70 lbs and came in at 350. He'll go down to 320 area and be a stud at stopping the run.

Fun fact-- The kid threw the ball 80 yrds on a turn acl in practice