Criticism Of Mccarney Hire

untStein

disagree on the academia vs atheltics working hours part. There are some professors who spend less than 20 hours a week on campus and make 150k. Yeah they might go to a nice coffee shop meetup around it and what not, but they still arent on campus as much as the coaches, who work 70, 80, 90 hours a week, promoting, recruting, coaching, meeting donors, etc. Sorry, I also hate most of academia.

You are grossly underestimating what they do. Sure, there maybe some that do this... but, as a profession, you seem to indicate you know very little of what they actually do.

The best place to start changing the doubters' minds and shutting the haters up is to win. If we can get back to the kinds of records that we were putting up in 2001-2004 or even surpass them, that's what will change minds and possibly open pocketbooks. Will it change the bottom line for the football program? I have my doubts, but we can at least lose less money by putting a good product on the field that people will want to come see.

No matter which side of the equation you fall on when it comes to the economics of college athletics, it all has to start with winning.

Tossing around tags like "disgruntled intellectual" or "pseudo intellectual" won't change squat. If y'all really think Kevin is a "disgruntled intellectual", you've not been around a college or university in quite a while.

SUMG: Very few college football programs make money. Most operate at a loss or break even. As it is with tax law, the way universities handle their accounting of athletics makes it difficult to pin a precise number to what that loss is or where money comes from in order to balance the ledger. For most schools outside of the six big money BCS conferences, though, football isn't a money maker.

KRAM: You couldn't be more wrong about Kevin. He may have an opinion you disagree with, but he's definitely not narrow minded, nor short sighted, nor disengaged from the community.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dan MacCanrey maybe good hire, and don't have issue with the $500,000.00. I just suspect the "quote unquote" search committee made money on both ends of this deal!!! If true I have a real problem with that!!!

I hope Vito will do some real investigative reporting and get to the bottom of it. OH, DH or RV might hold it against Vito and the DRC, so getting at this real answer maybe harder than one thinks!!! UNT administration, RV, anyone listening? Care to response to message board question?

Why would we hire ISU 56-85? Recruiting at Florida will be different and recruiting at UNT!!! Hope MacCanrey is the real deal. I have to endure Todd Dodge era and it was painful to say the least.

from big 8/12 friends i have, think mccarney is a great hire for us. he did a good job under difficult recruiting circumstances at iowa st., similar to what he will face here. north texas needed to make a statement to alumni and other conferences that we are committed to big time football. regarding our outside consultant, i don't begrudge him his $40,000, as he added much needed creditably to our search. in the big picture, whats a $40,000 expenditure when compared to a $78 million investment? for that matter, whats $500,000 annually if it produces more revenue? i was not excited at first, but have come to believe we may have hired another hayden fry. just an opinion.

• Upvote 1

The best place to start changing the doubters' minds and shutting the haters up is to win. If we can get back to the kinds of records that we were putting up in 2001-2004 or even surpass them, that's what will change minds and possibly open pocketbooks. Will it change the bottom line for the football program? I have my doubts, but we can at least lose less money by putting a good product on the field that people will want to come see.

No matter which side of the equation you fall on when it comes to the economics of college athletics, it all has to start with winning.

Tossing around tags like "disgruntled intellectual" or "pseudo intellectual" won't change squat. If y'all really think Kevin is a "disgruntled intellectual", you've not been around a college or university in quite a while.

SUMG: Very few college football programs make money. Most operate at a loss or break even. As it is with tax law, the way universities handle their accounting of athletics makes it difficult to pin a precise number to what that loss is or where money comes from in order to balance the ledger. For most schools outside of the six big money BCS conferences, though, football isn't a money maker.

KRAM: You couldn't be more wrong about Kevin. He may have an opinion you disagree with, but he's definitely not narrow minded, nor short sighted, nor disengaged from the community.

Look I like a solid intellectual conversation as much as the next guy who actually likes to stimulate his brain but in reading just a couple articles on Kevin's site Think Denton I can see that his personality and concerns are not in conjunction with what we are striving for. His meetups involve "adult beverages" and talking about worldly and societal dilemmas. For all intensive purposes we can brand him an intellectual and I am sure he would agree. He would be the type that would argue that a Culture Fair or a Arts Festival would be more beneficial to the school than cranking out a successful sports program. He is entitled to his opinion of course....but I would wager to say that most of this board disagrees with that sentiment. He is the Ying to our Yang at North Texas. We have already long established that this school has plenty of the artistic minded students and alum.....what we are striving to carve out here is a culture that involves more pride in the University and being a "Mean Green" rather than just graduating and moving on. We all can agree that the most successful way to do this is to have successful sports programs that stirs up the Alum base and gets them re interested in the school and what is happening on the campus. We have enough Ying...we need more Yang.

The argument that sports doesn't make a university profit is bogus and full of erroneous presumptions. The only stats that people are concerned with are the Revenue-Cost equation and does it leave a positive balance? What you don't see is that where does the public come into play? When was the last time that you saw a intellectual hipster sporting a UNT shirt on a daily stroll outside of Denton? If we relied on the public to hear about our school only based on it's intellectual achievements then we would be doing a giant disservice to the goal of generating interest (both regionally and nationally). We need a winning football team like Dallas's City Council needs an enema! That is the only way I can see us getting those 100k some odd Alum in the area to quit throwing away their monthly mailers from UNT begging for money. How many of us have logged in online and donated even just a modest $100 gift after getting excited about a win...or a change in the program...or an award for the team?

Ok...rant is over. Sorry :)

• Upvote 2

from big 8/12 friends i have, think mccarney is a great hire for us. he did a good job under difficult recruiting circumstances at iowa st., similar to what he will face here. north texas needed to make a statement to alumni and other conferences that we are committed to big time football. regarding our outside consultant, i don't begrudge him his $40,000, as he added much needed creditably to our search. in the big picture, whats a $40,000 expenditure when compared to a $78 million investment? for that matter, whats $500,000 annually if it produces more revenue? i was not excited at first, but have come to believe we may have hired another hayden fry. just an opinion.

:thumbsup:

Agree, W2...

Yes, back in 1972 we had some naysayers who thought we should even drop football but--enter Hayden Fry. They went back to their cocoons very quickly after the Fry hire was completed. In fact, this hire reminds me so much of the Fry hire back in December of 1972 it's almost scary.

Most of us on GMG.com wanted someone else for this hire, but I think after all the fallout has cleared that even those who were dogmatic with their guy getting our job will change their minds (as some of that group have done already). Coach Mac has one or two I hope he considers from our present staff, but that is all his call I'm sure.

Fry's 11 year record at SMU I think caused him to understand that the North Texas job had to be a success or this would probably be his last HFC opportunity in the NCAA. I think Coach Mac will all but have the same feeling, too. Such feelings cause a very hungry for success kind of head football coach.

First thing Coach Mac needs to do is get us out of or as far away from the Bottom 25 as he can. No one has done that in Denton for a long time even during a few winning years that was not done and it created with some an attitude of acceptance of that level of football as the best we would ever be able to do in Denton. I think those days will be in our history very soon. Soon? What will be soon at a program like ours and as far down as ours has been in the bottom quadrant of the FBS will be a question for debate.

Good luck, Coach Mac! We all need you to win as badly as I'm sure you want, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen