Mccarney's Target@ Florida This Year

NT03

You're right, we suck and shouldn't even try for him or any other highly rated recruit. When will we learn our place?

No where did I say that we shouldn't target highly rated recruits, but I choose to live in reality. The reality is the kid has 18 offers, most from AQ FBS schools. He lives in Maryland and doesn't list a single Texas school on his consideration list. If you want to waste your time knocking on closed doors, by all means, please do so.

Most people learned from Dodge's inability to recruit top talent from SLC that it takes much more than a coach/player relationship to recruit a kid to North Texas. Mike Canales recruited several prospects from Florida but we weren't in serious consideration for any of them.

Now, having said all of that, I'll stick by my original statement that I'd love to see him come to UNT.

Most people thought Mccarney would not end up here either... ;) ... :ph34r:

Captain Obvious here, we will never get top talent unless we recruit top talent.

I coached at the high school level from 1985-2000. Countless times I would offer to talk to athletes about UNT, only to be told by UNT coaches that they are to good for us. I never understood why we did not try. We were content to get slow guys from Bridgeport without trying for the more athletic guys from Dallas and Houston. I finally gave up and quit trying to help.

I seems that Coach Mac is not afraid to reach out to the top talent. He knows they won't come here unless they are asked. Yes, we will have to work harder than Texas and TCU. Let's give the blue chips another choice and not be afraid to be told no. Maybe one or two will say yes.

• Upvote 4

Captain Obvious here, we will never get top talent unless we recruit top talent.

I coached at the high school level from 1985-2000. Countless times I would offer to talk to athletes about UNT, only to be told by UNT coaches that they are to good for us. I never understood why we did not try. We were content to get slow guys from Bridgeport without trying for the more athletic guys from Dallas and Houston. I finally gave up and quit trying to help.

I seems that Coach Mac is not afraid to reach out to the top talent. He knows they won't come here unless they are asked. Yes, we will have to work harder than Texas and TCU. Let's give the blue chips another choice and not be afraid to be told no. Maybe one or two will say yes.

Good point. Sort of like we will never be a champagne program as long as the support adds up to a beer program. Not that I don't like beer, mind you, but it's a champagne program I would like to see for UNT. If we want it, it's time to step up and help UNT get to that level. The facilities are getting there fast, now UNT needs its fan base and donor base to grow BIG TIME!