When Is The Next Time Unt Will Be In A Position

MizzouTigers

It is not easier for USF to recruit in Florida than it is for UNT to recruit in Texas. Both of the schools are giant schools with undersized alumni support and little juice in the state lege. Both of them have a bunch of in-state schools with storied histories and big names gobbling up recruits.

If it's so easy to recruit here, why is UCF not experiencing the same success as USF? It's the same kind of situation as Leavitt faced in Tampa.

As for UCF, I don't know. I guess 1 team in the whole state has to suck.

USF got to #2 yes. Quick research: Then they quickly showed they had no business being #2 by dropping 3 in a row. These 3 games were decided by an average of 5 points a piece.

The difference? 8 penalties per game and 11 yes ELEVEN turnovers over those 3 games. I don't think there was any doubt that USF had more talent on the field than Rutgers, UConn and Cincy. Mental mistakes cost them those games.

That is what scares me about Jim Leavitt.

With all due respect, why your sudden concern over who we hire? I believe you stated you are a fan of SDSU, so I am curious what your connection is to North Texas.

My first reason is selfish. That is, I don't want additions to the MWC that I view as being next to worthless. Utah State is one such possible addition. They have a very good basketball program, but so what? Basketball almost doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I've said that football amounts to 75% of the basis of why a school should be added to a conference and men's BB means about 20% and USU football has been terrible. The Aztecs beat USU 41-7 this year in a game I attended and I can tell you the score could have been 55-0 had SDSU not muffed a punt at its seven yard line and had our coaches not run the clock out early in the fourth quarter. (TCU could have beaten Utah State, which has a good QB and not much else, 76-0 this year.)

My second reason is simply envy and curiosity. First, SDSU fans have wanted to stop being the Chargers' little brother for years. That means building our own stadium to get out from under those guys. So I applaud UNT for getting that done when we can't seem to do so. (I think we have some tightwad rich - not merely wealthy - alumni who are to blame for refusing to open their wallets, but I digress.) I'm also desirous of seeing you guys actually manage to make a good hire. I'm not really being critical when I say that since SDSU made two consecutive terrible head football coach hires. You guys just made one horrific one yourselves in Todd Dodge so I sure hope your administration isn't as stupid as ours was. Time will tell. I would be inclined to be optimistic but SDSU hired Chuck Neinas and then ignored what he recommended. so I'm interested to see if your AD does the same.

Anyway, I assure you I mean no harm. In fact, I wish nothing but the best for your guys.

My first reason is selfish. That is, I don't want additions to the MWC that I view as being next to worthless. Utah State is one such possible addition. They have a very good basketball program, but so what? Basketball almost doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I've said that football amounts to 75% of the basis of why a school should be added to a conference and men's BB means about 20% and USU football has been terrible. The Aztecs beat USU 41-7 this year in a game I attended and I can tell you the score could have been 55-0 had SDSU not muffed a punt at its seven yard line and had our coaches not run the clock out early in the fourth quarter. (TCU could have beaten Utah State, which has a good QB and not much else, 76-0 this year.)

My second reason is simply envy and curiosity. First, SDSU fans have wanted to stop being the Chargers' little brother for years. That means building our own stadium to get out from under those guys. So I applaud UNT for getting that done when we can't seem to do so. (I think we have some tightwad rich - not merely wealthy - alumni who are to blame for refusing to open their wallets, but I digress.) I'm also desirous of seeing you guys actually manage to make a good hire. I'm not really being critical when I say that since SDSU made two consecutive terrible head football coach hires. You guys just made one horrific one yourselves in Todd Dodge so I sure hope your administration isn't as stupid as ours was. Time will tell. I would be inclined to be optimistic but SDSU hired Chuck Neinas and then ignored what he recommended. so I'm interested to see if your AD does the same.

Anyway, I assure you I mean no harm. In fact, I wish nothing but the best for your guys.

At least you don't seem to be pleading the case for or against one candidate or the other. I enjoy a discussion about the process of a coaching search.

At least you don't seem to be pleading the case for or against one candidate or the other. I enjoy a discussion about the process of a coaching search.

Thanks for that. I'm honestly trying not to. Rather, I'm trying to encourage you guys to look at all the pluses and minuses of every candidate. In other words, to not do what several of your fans appear to be doing and absolutely make up your mind about one candidate over the various others at this point. All have both benefits and detriments and really only somebody like Chuck Neinas, who has a myriad of confidential contacts from whom information can be obtained, is capable of judging the best candidate.

Oh and BTW, I'm not necessarily a fan of Neinas. As an example, when it was first announced that SDSU had hired him, I was pretty skeptical. Then after Chuck Long hired Neinas' kid to be his special teams coach, I was REALLY skeptical. But I learned that Neinas didn't recommend Chuck, but rather Jimbo Fisher, and Chuck proved himself to be completely unready to be a DIA head coach. I don't know whether Fisher was ready at that time either, but Chuck did such a miserable job that I'm absolutely certain that Jimbo would have been considerably better.

And I'm just not sure Leavitt can do it. Having built a program aside, (like i said, we don't need to build a program) look at every BCS conference in the country and find a coach that was in the middle of the pack at best every year. That's what Jim Leavitt is. I have no doubt he recruited talent, I just don't think he won as much as he could have with it....he won 9 games a couple of seasons yes, in the weakest BCS conference in the country. The Big East is an AQ conference yes, and every year it's debated if they should be.

I think Leavitt would quickly build a team that destroyed the Belt. He didn't have enough time in the Big East with USF to prove how high he his teams could go. He was just starting to enjoy the recruiting that came from the school's higher profile in Florida.