Not Unt Related

Color me shocked, SMU promising illegal inducements to play athletics. I hope the NCAA gives the women's soccer team the DEATH PENALTY.

Color me shocked, SMU promising illegal inducements to play athletics. I hope the NCAA gives the women's soccer team the DEATH PENALTY.

This particular accusation is going to be interesting to watch as it evolves. I want to preface my comment by saying I've heard horror stories coming out of SMU women's soccer regarding this very issues since Brent Irwin has been their head coach. As many of us that have had or have kids participating in D1 college athletics, and have been through the recruiting process know that everything is in good faith until you sign your letter of intent Feb. of senior year. I'm not an attorney, but my understanding is nothing is binding by either side until the LIT is signed.

I'm sure coaches complain about kids changing their minds and bolting at the last minute all the time. What makes it even more difficult is that with equivalency type scholarships it's a nightmare for coaches each year to divvy up the pie and keep existing players happy while trying to bring in new talent. What makes this particular situation interesting is that this soccer player left high school a semester early, without ever signing a letter of intent (because it was too early by NCAA rules). The assumption is that this was all done with the SMU soccer coach’s approval.

Because verbal commitments are based so much on good faith, parents and prospective athletes have to be very careful and thorough in their due diligence while selecting a program. With the rumors I had heard coming out of the DFW soccer community about SMU's program there is no way in the world I would have had my kid play there – better safe than sorry! DMN link: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/052210dnsposmulede.137ff365.html

Agree. This will be VERY interesting to watch and will have far reaching consequences for every scholarship sport as well as women's soccer at SMU. If there is a "smoking gun" of some sort that could stand up in court there will be more of these lawsuits hit the courts across the country.

My guess at this point is that this thing gets settled within the SMU family before it gets anywhere near a courthouse. I would not be buying a new house in Dallas if I were the SMU women's head coach.