Sec To Also Consider Expansion, Keep Up With Big10

NT80

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/04/21/big.ten.expansion/index.html?eref=sircrc

Good article about the potential massive changes to the conference landscape.

"Big East commissioner John Marinatto and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe are understandably nervous. Their conferences stand to be annihilated if the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-10 move simultaneously."

Edited by NT80

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/04/21/big.ten.expansion/index.html?eref=sircrc

Good article about the potential massive changes to the conference landscape.

"Big East commissioner John Marinatto and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe are understandably nervous. Their conferences stand to be annihilated if the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-10 move simultaneously."

I don't think the big12 is going anywhere. The fact that this bozo thinks they will be "annihilated" is beyond ridiculous.

I don't think the big12 is going anywhere. The fact that this bozo thinks they will be "annihilated" is beyond ridiculous.

If the SEC is serious about expansion I can see them coming after a Texas, Texas A$M, Oklahoma, and/or a Nebraska. As mentioned in the article by the SEC Commish, if the Big 10 becomes a SuperConference, the SEC won't just sit by and become second fiddle. They will follow suit. The schools in the Big East and Big 12 will become the main targets.

Edited by NT80

If the SEC is serious about expansion I can see them coming after a Texas, Texas A$M, Oklahoma, and/or a Nebraska. As mentioned in the article by the SEC Commish, if the Big 10 becomes a SuperConference, the SEC won't just sit by and become second fiddle. They will follow suit. The schools in the Big East and Big 12 will become the main targets.

They may come after them, but that doesn't mean they'd leave. Texas is more than a football school and they've made it clear they want to maintain their academic profile on all fronts, including conference affiliation. The Big 10 is comprised of AAU schools. The SEC has a couple good ones (UF, Vandy, Alabama) and a host of mediocrity. I guess I'm just not sure what OU and UT have to gain by going to a more difficult conference with lower academic standards when they pretty much just switch off every other year playing for the national title by being in the Big 12, which is really the Big 2 and 10 friends.

• Upvote 1

They may come after them, but that doesn't mean they'd leave. Texas is more than a football school and they've made it clear they want to maintain their academic profile on all fronts, including conference affiliation. The Big 10 is comprised of AAU schools. The SEC has a couple good ones (UF, Vandy, Alabama) and a host of mediocrity. I guess I'm just not sure what OU and UT have to gain by going to a more difficult conference with lower academic standards when they pretty much just switch off every other year playing for the national title by being in the Big 12, which is really the Big 2 and 10 friends.

+1. This...

there is real concern in big 12 that when pac 10 takes colorado, and if big 10 takes missouri, then sec might expand to 16 teams adding fla. st. and miami to lock up florida tv market, and texas a& m plus u.t. to do the same in texas. when smoke clears, big 12[now big 8] would raid m.west. all speculation, but if big 10 destroys big east, then bcs conferences would be pac 10,big 12/m.west combo,sec,acc/big east combo, and big 10. more money for the bigs. the bozo could be right. we should know in next 18 months.

....... I guess I'm just not sure what OU and UT have to gain by going to a more difficult conference with lower academic standards when they pretty much just switch off every other year playing for the national title by being in the Big 12, which is really the Big 2 and 10 friends.

Great point!

Texas and Oklahoma would not be happy with their results on the football field going to the SEC. They'd be in the upper half of the conference, but not at the very top year in and year out like they are in the Big XII. On that note, hopefully Nebraska continues to be on the up and up and improve the league.

• Upvote 1

there is real concern in big 12 that when pac 10 takes colorado, and if big 10 takes missouri, then sec might expand to 16 teams adding fla. st. and miami to lock up florida tv market, and texas a& m plus u.t. to do the same in texas. when smoke clears, big 12[now big 8] would raid m.west. all speculation, but if big 10 destroys big east, then bcs conferences would be pac 10,big 12/m.west combo,sec,acc/big east combo, and big 10. more money for the bigs. the bozo could be right. we should know in next 18 months.

Florida State and Miami will never be in the SEC. Florida has so much power (a lot of the public has no idea about this) in that state and conference that they will not allow that to happen.

• Upvote 1

They may come after them, but that doesn't mean they'd leave. Texas is more than a football school and they've made it clear they want to maintain their academic profile on all fronts, including conference affiliation.

Texas may not have a chance to remain in a viable Big12 if others bolt. When the music stops there will be limited chairs in the SuperConferences and the Bigs will be offered those spots first. A Texas or OU will not want to sit by and miss out if they see the Big12 shrinking to 6-8 schools.

Please explain how that is ridiculous? A lot of folks who live in the Big XII geography are disillusioned and believe the Big XII is on par with the Big 10, SEC, and PAC 10 when it comes to conferences. It's staggering how un-real that truly is, and this article is somewhat of a testament to that.

• Upvote 1

The inequity of the T.V. revenue within the Big12 should have the conference worried about its ability to keep its current members, and attract new ones. Its ability to replace members, with quality schools, will be challenging because most quality universities will also be courted by other conferences, with better systems for sharing revenue. The question is will Texas be willing to concede a share of its very profitable T.V. revenue for the greater good of the conference? I don't think so.

• Upvote 1