Some Quarterback Stuff

MeanGreen61

I guess I want to confrontational today. There is no way in heck that our QB situation is deep. NT has a journeyman senior in Tune who has started two games and a sophomore who has played about a minute. Their backup is a 170 lb true freshman and several non-scholarship players. No matter what your thoughts on Riley's ability was, his being out of the QB position has made the depth at QB go from adequate to very questionable. An injury to Tune or Thompson or both would be a disaster.

I would caution people not to rely on spring performances being very useful in projecting a team or unit's success. I also wouldn't discount Riley's ability running the option for a significant part of Dunbar's success last year. His speed at QB will be missed as will his ability to read defenses. The new QB will likely have better passing range, but NT lost a great weapon in Dodge's running ability.

May I ask what positions on this team are deeper? RB, WR, and then....? I'm not saying we have Peyton Manning as a fall back if Joe Montana fails, just that both Tune and Thompson seem to both be serviceable options. Much is being made of Tune only starting two games and, while that is true, it's not like he didn't play. Last year in 5 games Tune had a QB rating of 126.88 and was only sacked twice in 107 passing attempts (which included a game against Troy who averaged 2.5 sacks per game) in comparison Rodge was sacked 10 times in 303 attempts.

Every source I have looked at has seen says that Thompson can play. The fact that he is challenging a senior who performed adequately when he got the opportunity to play only drives home that point.

Yes, the zone read was a huge part of our offense last year, but only when Rodge was healthy. Lance was still able to contribute in a big way without Rodge in the line-up and from spring games (against our defense I know, I know) it looks like he is in even better shape this year.

As far as injuries go the fact that both Tune and Thompson are competing for the job shows that the two players are comparable. If both go out yes we are in trouble, but show me a D1 school who can afford to lose their top two options at QB.

The biggest point I am trying to make is that we don't need to chuck the ball all around the yard anymore. From the reports we are getting it seems that the two of the best players on our team play running back and we are hurting this team if we throw the ball 35-40 times a (competitive) game.

• Upvote 2

Seriously guys, we need to get over Thompson losing his redshirt and move on. It happened and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Yes, he was but three minutes shy from having an additional year of eligibility, but I really don't see it as that big of a deal. Rarely does any team have a four-year starter at QB that plays every single game in each of those four years. Some of you will disagree but I really don't view Thompson's Freshman season playing time much differently than I view UT's Garrett Gilbert's Freshman campaign. Take out his stats in the national championship game and he participated in 8 games, compiling a grand total of 124 passing yards on 15 completions in 26 attempts. Now, had he not been forced into action in the championship game, would you view those regular season stas as a worthwhile contribution versus having an additional year of eligibility?

Edited by gangrene
  • Upvote 4

Seriously guys, we need to get over Thompson losing his redshirt and move on. It happened and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Yes, he was but three minutes shy from having an additional year of eligibility, but I really don't see it as that big of a deal. Rarely does any team have a four-year starter at QB that plays every single game in each of those four years. Some of you will disagree but I really don't view Thompson's Freshman season playing time much differently than I view UT's Garrett Gilbert's Freshman campaign. Take out his stats in the national championship game and he participated in 8 games, compiling a grand total of 124 passing yards on 15 completions in 26 attempts. Now, had he not been forced into action in the championship game, would you view those regular season stas as a worthwhile contribution versus having an additional year of eligibility?

There are not enough +1s for this post. It's a fair feeling to have regrets about the burning of his redshirt, but the fact of the matter is that it happened, and it's time to focus on what he can do in his three remaining years. That is, unless someone here can figure out the flux capacitor quandary. Solve that, and it's time to hop in the DoLorean with McFly to fix this thing. Just be careful about unraveling the fabric of the space time continuum.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What I saw of QB Tune, last year, he really looked pretty good. Not a nimble scrambler as RD but looked poised and appeared to know what he was doing. Knows how to move the ball.....heck, some of you lard bodies would look good handing the ball off to our RB's. :lol:

I would have no regrets to have Tune start. He does come from a winning HS program.

As for the other two QB's .... let the coaches decide instead of us.

What I saw of QB Tune, last year, he really looked pretty good. Not a nimble scrambler as RD but looked poised and appeared to know what he was doing. Knows how to move the ball.....heck, some of you lard bodies would look good handing the ball off to our RB's. :lol:

I would have no regrets to have Tune start. He does come from a winning HS program.

As for the other two QB's .... let the coaches decide instead of us.

This argument doesn't work! People get their arms broken by being run over at gas stations by rabid GMG.com fans that way!

Plan B: He does come from an orange HS program.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

May I ask what positions on this team are deeper? RB, WR, and then....?

Offensive line with five starters returning including Freeley who started as a fish

Running back with the team's best player Dunbar returning backed by Hamilton, Byrd, Mosley and Mathis

Wide receivers with all four starters returning plus Bynes, Stradford, Johnson, etc.

Defensive end with Akpunku a returning starter and part time starters Owusu-Hememg and Obi back plus two jucos

Defensive tackle with starters Cantly and Atkission back plus Desoto and Jackson who have started several games

Linebacker with all three starters back plus two heralded jucos and a transfer Herron.

Defensive backfield with three starters back plus five juco players

The only position that may have less depth is te were there are no returning players but Brown who played little on offense.

Every source I have looked at has seen says that Thompson can play. The fact that he is challenging a senior who performed adequately when he got the opportunity to play only drives home that point.

No one has said he can't play but he certainly is far from a proven commodity. There are only two scholarship qb participating in the spring, you are surprised they are both getting a lot of looks.

Yes, the zone read was a huge part of our offense last year, but only when Rodge was healthy. Lance was still able to contribute in a big way without Rodge in the line-up and from spring games (against our defense I know, I know) it looks like he is in even better shape this year.

As far as injuries go the fact that both Tune and Thompson are competing for the job shows that the two players are comparable. If both go out yes we are in trouble, but show me a D1 school who can afford to lose their top two options at QB.

I can assure you most fb division schools have more than 3 scholarship qbs and most schools have more experience at the position. Tune has shown he can handle the job and Thompson is perfect in his one series career so things could definitely be worse, but I still don't know how that is equated with real depth at the position.

The biggest point I am trying to make is that we don't need to chuck the ball all around the yard anymore. From the reports we are getting it seems that the two of the best players on our team play running back and we are hurting this team if we throw the ball 35-40 times a (competitive) game.

Never depend on spring reports, but from what I have noticed NT is still passing the ball more than running. Canales and Dodge are going to have to adapt their offense to Tune and Thompson but they still are going to be a pass first offense.

The only position that may have less depth is te were there are no returning players but Brown who played little on offense.

Hang on. Austin Fitzpatrick is returning and he has lots of potential. Then we recruited the TE from Cali Juco. THEN we moved D.Ross back to TE. All of these guys as well as Brown, which you pointed out, will be ready to contribute right away.

I would say as far as depth at the TE position, we're pretty stacked there as well!

Here's a question for the masses (no, it's not a thread hijack!):

If the Clemson game were this Saturday (Apr.10), how do you see the QB depth chart shaking out?

Here's mine:

Tune

Thompson

Dodge - if both Tune & Thompson go down, I think this would be the better option than going with Baine (sorry SaysoJoe!)

Baine

Teegarden