Hotel At Eagle Point

houstonmeangreen

Last I heard Hammond said they had not even given it "serious" consideration as had been rumored. But, and this was told to me by the Denton mayor himself, that they (Hammond) were not looking at any major projects until the economy shows some major improvement and that was not expected, as for as there projects are concerned, until 2011 or 2012.

As a person living here in Denton, I do not think the citizens of Denton will support anything that they "perceive" as something being given to UNT. That is just the sense I get having lived here all my life. There have been some pretty resentful letters of the way Dr. B has spent money since she came to UNT in the letters to the editor. Many cities use a college to their advantage, but the city of Denton and UNT cannot seem to get along and realize the multitude of opportunities they both present for each other.

Last I heard Hammond said they had not even given it "serious" consideration as had been rumored. But, and this was told to me by the Denton mayor himself, that they (Hammond) were not looking at any major projects until the economy shows some major improvement and that was not expected, as for as there projects are concerned, until 2011 or 2012.

As a person living here in Denton, I do not think the citizens of Denton will support anything that they "perceive" as something being given to UNT. That is just the sense I get having lived here all my life. There have been some pretty resentful letters of the way Dr. B has spent money since she came to UNT in the letters to the editor. Many cities use a college to their advantage, but the city of Denton and UNT cannot seem to get along and realize the multitude of opportunities they both present for each other.

Then what are we going to do for a hotel at eagle point since we closed the one that was already there?

We need a hotel at the stadium!! Are there any alternate plans? tents perhaps?

It's not a necessity, but it's one of those intangibles that sets some schools apart from another. This benefits our School of Hospitatlity and Management, the Athletic Department and the entire city as a whole.

I pray the city has nothing to do with it since it's the schools property and money...Denton is so short sighted and close minded when it comes to development and progressing the city, they are always a decade late and thousands of dollars short.

I pray the city has nothing to do with it since it's the schools property and money...Denton is so short sighted and close minded when it comes to development and progressing the city, they are always a decade late and thousands of dollars short.

The city needs to be involved to help fill the place up when it is built. If nothing more than marketing, the city can help it be a success. That brings money back to the university even if it is an indirect route.

Yes, but how many business will schedule a week of meetings in Denton?? There is absolutely NOTHING to do or see there!

Hello! Cement City brings people far and wide to our fine and fair city. How quickly we forget.

GMG

Hello! Cement City brings people far and wide to our fine and fair city. How quickly we forget.

GMG

And a very diverse culture at that. But unfortunately, most convention goers are going to make a b line for the clubs and restraunts in Dallas, the Stockyards in Ft. Worth, are see one of the pro sports teams play. Sorry, but they are not going to stay in Denton to eat at Sweetwater, Fuzzy's or patronize Fry St. It simply is not a destination so to speak, and I don't see the hotels being full on game weekends in Denton in the past present or future. It is sad, but the Jazz Fest probably has more impact on the Denton economy than UNT football currently does. And the fault lies with both UNT and the city of Denton for that. I think we should work on getting our own alumni to the stadium that don't need a hotel room. There are more than enough within an hour's drive to more than fill our stadium.

Edited by Green Dozer

could the opposing team, and any fans stay at the new Hotel? Couldn't the University use this hotel for it's guest's for the various conferences........Hotels are filled-up for many reasons. We have many sports where visiting teams must have a place to stay....surely, all of them do not fly/bus in and leave without a place to stay. Market it with events at the stadium like concerts. It would be a great concert venue because of its local and ease of access from Oklahoma....

We have to market this thing as a venue as well as stadium to make it financially viable.....I'm just saying

Not just music concert, but Drumline, Promise Keepers, Evangelical events, graduations (people will come and stay at the hotel for these type of events)...use your imagination. High School playoffs...teams stay at hotels.... Anything that brings in people.....