Just A Little Note In An E-mail

Mean Green 93-98

I received the following note in an e-mail from someone I know who lives in Denton:

How about those Eagles? That game has already caused a little stir around town.

He has no direct attachment to UNT, he has never taken a class there, he lives on the other end of town . . . But yet he is seeing a stir around town caused by the win.

Maybe Denton has never backed the Green like they could/should have, but I think the vast majority want to see UNT do well. If this one victory against a depleted Ball State team can cause a little stir around town, what might the future hold? If we can give them an exciting brand of football that can win games against teams not in the Sun Belt, can we finally get Denton on board?

Maybe Denton has never backed the Green like they could/should have, but I think the vast majority want to see UNT do well.

NT has never backed NT the way it should have before a few years ago. As Fouts (and new stadium) on Saturdays and the Super Pit become the place to be in Denton, more and more people will show up. It's going to take a few more years of North Texas giving a crap about itself before Denton embraces the school.

I noticed driving into Muncie was how many businesses had signs supporting Ball State Football, "beat the Mean Green", "beat UNT", etc plus we heard all over the radio support for the game.

Then after the game at the IHOP we were the only none red dressed people in the restaurant. We were booed as left in a friendly sort of way. In a sea of red we were the only green.

I would love to see Denton look and feel like that someday.

It's going to take a few more years of North Texas giving a crap about itself before Denton embraces the school.

I would love to see Denton look and feel like that someday.

We're taking the right steps all I can say is give them a reason to care. If we put a winning, fun product on the field with the improvements and growth of both NT and Denton support will come. Unfortunaly we've only given anyone a reason to care in about 5 of the past 30+ years. Most everyone reading this is a die hard fan but most people need something to get behind first. I'm hoping it's not just the kool aid but I'm gonna believe we can make the turn this time.

"In Riley we trust"

I noticed driving into Muncie was how many businesses had signs supporting Ball State Football, "beat the Mean Green", "beat UNT", etc plus we heard all over the radio support for the game.

Then after the game at the IHOP we were the only none red dressed people in the restaurant. We were booed as left in a friendly sort of way. In a sea of red we were the only green.

12-0 the year before will do that; let them go 1-11 and you'll see not-so-much.

I received the following note in an e-mail from someone I know who lives in Denton:

He has no direct attachment to UNT, he has never taken a class there, he lives on the other end of town . . . But yet he is seeing a stir around town caused by the win.

Maybe Denton has never backed the Green like they could/should have, but I think the vast majority want to see UNT do well. If this one victory against a depleted Ball State team can cause a little stir around town, what might the future hold? If we can give them an exciting brand of football that can win games against teams not in the Sun Belt, can we finally get Denton on board?

Great to hear that we are getting some support from the city folk. Something that we have needed for a LONG time now. Btw, Ball State wasn't exactly depleted. Their defense was almost the same as the one that went 12-0 in the regular season last year. I just hope that our offense AND defense/S.T.'s can continue what we showed last week. If they do, the sky is the limit.

Will we have a big enough stadium by then, :ph34r:

The text of a nice email I got from a good friend who is a diehard Okie State fan:

"I saw the big win over Ball.

THE BIRDS ARE BACK!!!

Good luck against Ohio."

He didn't even mention how the Cowboys ate up GEORGIA, for God's sake, but I did return the email with congrats to the Cowboys.

It is nice to know that people are watching what UNT does on the field.

Never enough Denton support for NT football. That's why it's critical we keep DFW-region fans and media involved. Part of the problem is UNT's ugly sister (TWU) lives there too and Denton doesn't want to show favoritism. Otherwise, there are a lot Denia-type residents in Denton that just suck off the tax base NT provides but would just as much prefer the school would leave.

Edited by NT80

Never enough Denton support for NT football. That's why it's critical we keep DFW-region fans and media involved. Part of the problem is UNT's ugly sister (TWU) lives there too and Denton doesn't want to show favoritism. Otherwise, there are a lot Denia-type residents in Denton that just suck off the tax base NT provides but would just as much prefer the school would leave.

As a Denton resident, I can tell you we certainly do not "suck off the tax base that NT provides"...or TWU for that matter as they pay no property taxes! However, I agree that UNT (and TWU) provides Denton a great employment and sales tax base that the folks in Denton should be much more appreciative of and supportive of when it comes to such matters.

One of the problems Denton has is that so much of it's employment is exempt from paying property tax, which, in turn, places too much of the burden on the property owner...City government, County government, public schools, public universities (2), tons of churches and extra "church owned" property, etc., etc. If the City would get more behind UNT (and TWU)...and I include the businesses in this...it would certainly improve the tax revenue generated. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why this concept is so very hard for some folks to understand. Anyway...the times they are a changing in Denton. One can either get on the train or hide and watch as it builds steam and rolls through their little "not in my backyard" world...and I do not mean the new rail system!

GO MEAN GREEN!