Unt At Tcu

eulesseagle

Game was in Denton. Wonder why this was an exhibition instead of a regular season game?

Should college football have an exhibition game or scrimmage against another school before the regular season begins like many high schools and pro teams do now?

Edited by NT80

My bride and I went to the game Saturday evening. All in all, I would have to say that I was a bit disappointed in our progress so far in the season. By the second half UNT looked tired and "beat". While there were a couple of "near misses" and good runs in the second half, I thought UNT "packed it in" a bit early. The goal TCU scored on a second half corner kick (I am not 100% sure that it shouldn't have been a trow in for TCU...thought UNT's keeper got to it before it crossed over the end line...but, I digress) was very poorly defended by the Mean Green. Yes, TCU has a good team and, yes, they have a game under their belts already and an extra week's practice, but I expected to come away with a Mean Green win. So, am a bit disappointed. UNT looked slow to me in defense and were often seen with one attacker trying to go against three TCU defenders.

Defense looked sluggish at times and had to make some plays on what should have been routine defensive moves. Offense pretty anemic all evening. Why no off sides trap EVER??? I know Coach Hedlund is not a fan of the off-sides trap, but TCU was playing into that opportunity for the Mean Green all evening. The Mean Green defense just seemed to "back up", "bunch up" and just try to kick the ball away...gave TCU way to much respect and room at the top of the box all evening.

OK, that being said...Coach Hedlund played probably 20, and got to see several new players...did see a bit of speed up front at times and saw some decent early season passing...but way too often right up the gut and into the strength of the TCU defense instead of wide...

Again, it is early. And, I think this team has the chance to be very good. I expect them to compete for the SBC crown again. Once everyone has the chance to play together and get their feet under them (looked like TCU was the much better conditioned team) I think we can expect to see some quality football and some big wins from this team. It was good to see Rick V. at the game too along with a fairly decent early season crowd...not a big big crowd of course, but more than I expected to see....the crowds will get bigger as this is going to be a good year for the Mean Green soccer program.

GO MEAN GREEN. Great way to spend part of a Saturday evening in Denton.

• 2 weeks later...

My bride and I went to the game Saturday evening. All in all, I would have to say that I was a bit disappointed in our progress so far in the season. By the second half UNT looked tired and "beat". While there were a couple of "near misses" and good runs in the second half, I thought UNT "packed it in" a bit early. The goal TCU scored on a second half corner kick (I am not 100% sure that it shouldn't have been a trow in for TCU...thought UNT's keeper got to it before it crossed over the end line...but, I digress) was very poorly defended by the Mean Green. Yes, TCU has a good team and, yes, they have a game under their belts already and an extra week's practice, but I expected to come away with a Mean Green win. So, am a bit disappointed. UNT looked slow to me in defense and were often seen with one attacker trying to go against three TCU defenders.

Defense looked sluggish at times and had to make some plays on what should have been routine defensive moves. Offense pretty anemic all evening. Why no off sides trap EVER??? I know Coach Hedlund is not a fan of the off-sides trap, but TCU was playing into that opportunity for the Mean Green all evening. The Mean Green defense just seemed to "back up", "bunch up" and just try to kick the ball away...gave TCU way to much respect and room at the top of the box all evening.

OK, that being said...Coach Hedlund played probably 20, and got to see several new players...did see a bit of speed up front at times and saw some decent early season passing...but way too often right up the gut and into the strength of the TCU defense instead of wide...

Again, it is early. And, I think this team has the chance to be very good. I expect them to compete for the SBC crown again. Once everyone has the chance to play together and get their feet under them (looked like TCU was the much better conditioned team) I think we can expect to see some quality football and some big wins from this team. It was good to see Rick V. at the game too along with a fairly decent early season crowd...not a big big crowd of course, but more than I expected to see....the crowds will get bigger as this is going to be a good year for the Mean Green soccer program.

GO MEAN GREEN. Great way to spend part of a Saturday evening in Denton.

KRAM..first thanks for coming out and supporting the girls. Don't be too disappointed, the girls only had two practices together as a team prior to the exhibition game with TCU. TCU had over a week head start on UNT with their two a days as well as a pre-season game against Baylor under their belt. I agree at times it was not a pretty game to watch, but taken in perspective the girls played pretty well all considering. The offense always takes a bit longer to come together and there were a few girls up top playing with some pre-season nagging injuries (those come with two a days). I really expect the offense to be very potent come SBC games.

Now for some bad news. Four starters are out for this weekends game against Sam Houston State & New Mexico State....this years depth will be tested early. The injury bug is carrying over into the games that really count :-(