OK, I'll admit to having not read Sports Illustrated in sometime, but since college football season was fast approaching (yippee), I was asked if I wanted a free sub to the magazine. Why not? Free, right? What's not to like? So, I get my first issue and it is, for want of a better description, "lacking in any page count" from what I recalled the last time I read the magazine or subscribed. So, I'm thinking...must be an off-week. Well, not so much. The next issue has all of 78 pages. Now, I'm thinking that some comic books out today must have more pages than that! And, the 78 pages include all the full page photos...great shots, but still...it's a magazine that is dedicated to writing about sports, right? In comparison, I have noticed no such decrease in the page-count of my Golf and Golf Digest magazines...yes, they are monthly rags and SI is weekly, but is it just me or is SI getting smaller and smaller these days? By the way...way too much baseball in the issue this week, but then it does have the "perfect game" on the cover...PRICELESS! Also included is an interesting full color two-page photo they titles "Split Precision" involving France's synchronized swim team...I'll leave it to your imagination to describe any further. Thank God it only had a very small mention of Mexico's absolute crushing of the US B-team in the Gold Cup football Concacaf final.

Most of SI's coverage doesn't really kick in until August. Then from August until around May, they have college, pro, and arena football to cover. At the same time, there's still baseball (when isn't there baseball?), then basketball, and hockey. Baseball is really in that odd blank space between May and August and that's about all there is in the summer as far as major sports goes.