3 125.6 28 8 28 8 11 Arizona State

4 125.2 29 8 29 8 18 Texas

5 124.4 26 8 26 8 16 Georgia Tech

6 123.2 27 10 27 10 13 Rice

7 121.8 26 11 26 11 14 Arkansas

8 121.8 31 8 31 8 54 Georgia

9 121.6 27 9 27 9 33 Cal Poly

10 121.5 27 11 29 11 20 Oklahoma

Zot zot and all that good Anteater stuff!!

Baseball...Colleges play baseball???? Who would have thought? Just kidding. I am just "sore" because my Okie State Cowboys have been playing so poorly lately. Maybe they have been watching the Texas Rangers sorry excuse for a pitching staff. You think?

Baseball...Colleges play baseball???? Who would have thought? Just kidding. I am just "sore" because my Okie State Cowboys have been playing so poorly lately. Maybe they have been watching the Texas Rangers sorry excuse for a pitching staff. You think?

Irvine made the sweet 16 in men's soccer this year, nearly missing a trip to beautiful Frisco, TX for the NCAA finals.

Edit -- OSU's ISR is a respectable 29th. They're just stinkin' up the joint in conference play. Not looking good for the post season unless the Big XII has a conference tourney and they can make a run. Then again, their RPI is 27. RPI like that plus BCS money is awfully tempting to the selection committee.

Edited by oldguystudent

Irvine made the sweet 16 in men's soccer this year, nearly missing a trip to beautiful Frisco, TX for the NCAA finals.

Edit -- OSU's ISR is a respectable 29th. They're just stinkin' up the joint in conference play. Not looking good for the post season unless the Big XII has a conference tourney and they can make a run. Then again, their RPI is 27. RPI like that plus BCS money is awfully tempting to the selection committee.

College baseball is about the only baseball I like to watch. But then again I probably only follow it because of the Hogs. They happen to have a pretty good team this year, though it will be interesting to see how they finish down the stretch.

College baseball is about the only baseball I like to watch. But then again I probably only follow it because of the Hogs. They happen to have a pretty good team this year, though it will be interesting to see how they finish down the stretch.

Arkansas does have a good team, but SEC teams piss me off something fierce for three reasons:

1) They are probably the only conference that has a rabid enough fan base for the sport to make a few bucks, so they never play on the road. Arkansas plays 37 of 56 games at home this year.

2) They tend to play nobody more difficult than Podunk Middle School's B team at home for OOC games.

3) Then, when they all have .500 records, they go to the selection committee and demand 8 bids because their conference is so tough.

Nonetheless, the SEC does have talent every year. In the end, as they say, good pitching usually does beat good hitting though, and the SEC, led by LSU's "Gorilla ball" loves the power over the defense.

Arkansas does have a good team, but SEC teams piss me off something fierce for three reasons:

1) They are probably the only conference that has a rabid enough fan base for the sport to make a few bucks, so they never play on the road. Arkansas plays 37 of 56 games at home this year.

2) They tend to play nobody more difficult than Podunk Middle School's B team at home for OOC games.

3) Then, when they all have .500 records, they go to the selection committee and demand 8 bids because their conference is so tough.

Nonetheless, the SEC does have talent every year. In the end, as they say, good pitching usually does beat good hitting though, and the SEC, led by LSU's "Gorilla ball" loves the power over the defense.

Well the Hogs did knock off Arizona State twice either last week or the week before. Granted it was at home. I think they are averaging in the ballpark of 12,000 a game this year.

Where is North Texas ranked?

Somewhere in the top something. It's actually a stealth team. They are staring a campaign to build a stadium for baseball and are holding back on the official announcement. :unsure:

Somewhere in the top something. It's actually a stealth team. They are staring a campaign to build a stadium for baseball and are holding back on the official announcement. :unsure:

KICKASS!!! If there is one thing UNT knows, UNT knows how to be Stealthy.

• 3 weeks later...

Going into the last week of the regular season, UCI has won the conference championship with a 20-1 conference record, and is a near lock for a national seed, meaning they'll host both the regionals and the supers.

On an unrelated note, when I went to the baseball site on Friday to tune in to the game, it directed me to a university-wide fund raising campaign. Before I talk about that, let me state that as far as alumni and community support go, I put UCI on the same playing level as UNT.

Last October, the administration began a 7-year fund raising campaign. The goal? $1 billion dollars. Money raised in the first ten months? $466 million. If you go to the site, it gives you a choice of donating to the general fund or to the specific department of your choice, including athletics. For the general fund, the allocation to each department is explicitly laid out. With no football program, the athletic program has $20 million allocated for capital building projects, equipment, and scholarships. I don't say this to boast. I say it to show that it can be done if it is well organized and properly marketed. I'm going to find a way to make UNT aware of this.

Something tells me my Bulldogs aren't repeating this year.... :unsure:

Holy it ain't over til it's over batman! Fresno wins the WAC tourney and gets back to the post season! Oh dear lord help us all.

BTW, Irvine was awarded a regional this year. Locally, TCU will be hosting this weekend. If any of you want to check out some great college ball, now's the time.

If you go to the site, it gives you a choice of donating to the general fund or to the specific department of your choice, including athletics. For the general fund, the allocation to each department is explicitly laid out. With no football program, the athletic program has $20 million allocated for capital building projects, equipment, and scholarships. I don't say this to boast. I say it to show that it can be done if it is well organized and properly marketed. I'm going to find a way to make UNT aware of this.

Good luck, UNT needs a lot of help in the marketing and donation areas.

UNT also needs baseball !!!

Edited by NT80

Arkansas does have a beautiful baseball facility in Baum Stadium...

http://rayandkatie.files.wordpress.com/200...img_baum_01.jpg

Wow, that is pretty. The only thing Irvine's really got going for it is the actual playing surface. It's the same as Dodger stadium. For the stands, they threw in an additional 1500 erector seat temporary bleachers for this regional. They only have 900 real seats in the whole joint. The rest of the stadium is a grass berm.

anteaterballpark.jpg

They added an additional 800 seats on the top of the berm after this picture was taken. That one suite in the background handles up to 45 people.

ETA -- My apologies to the UNT faithful on this. This is a big deal to me for UCI to be hosting a regional. I was a student lobbyist back in the day to bring baseball back, so it's really fulfilling to see this day.

Edited by oldguystudent

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Hogs are proving they are pretty good away from home so far.