South Prairie Hs (tx) Head Coach Quote

GreenEggs&Ham™

"They (WKU) are just getting out there and working."

"They are very diligent recruiters"

"Western Kentucky is starting to have a presence here in the DFW metroplex"

.....quoted from Rob Davies (HC of South Prairie HS) after WKU signed ( DE Will Adams Rivals 3 star)

What gives? I can understand losing out to SMU or Rice for this kid...but WKU ? Did we recruit Adams or is this kid over rated? I am not a football Xs and Os guy but Adams was a 3 star recruit as listed on Rivals.com and lord knows NT could use another DE. Just griping out load ...sorry.

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™

UNT is not the only "metroplex" or Texas school that "missed out" on this guy. We'll see how it goes. Only so many scholarships to go around. I guess you could say that UNT "missed out" on every kid from the DFW metroplex that signed with another school.

I do hope Dodge and his staff are mining the local area hard...it appears that they are...but there are several advantages to recruiting local kids with the talent to play at UNT. One of which is the fact that they will usually help to fill a few seats at UNT home games! That's not a bad thing at all.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Rice was the only university in Texas that (supposedly) offered this kid. He was listed as an athlete so we don't know what position that he was interested in playing. WKU had one other commitment from the DFW area, a DB from Irving MacArthur. Both were recruited by the same coach. The players liked his straightforwardness.

The fact that they will play in this area every other year opened it up for them. While their reputation is primarily that of a basketball school, they are not totally unknown in the Metroplex. We'll probably see a little more recruitment from around here but I don't think that it will be more than one or two per year.

DFW is the most overrecruited area in the country. There is nothing about this area that makes the athletes extra special. Yes, there is good high school football here and maybe a DFW Class 5A player is more prepared for D1 than a 2A player from the middle of nowhere, but that advantage disappears once the 2A guy gets in a college program. Why battle with every school in the country for DFW's scrubs? At some point, when are program improves its prestige, we may be able to grab some elite DFW recruits, but we aren't there yet. Hot Toddy just has to do his homework and find players were no one else is looking.

DFW is the most overrecruited area in the country. There is nothing about this area that makes the athletes extra special. Yes, there is good high school football here and maybe a DFW Class 5A player is more prepared for D1 than a 2A player from the middle of nowhere, but that advantage disappears once the 2A guy gets in a college program. Why battle with every school in the country for DFW's scrubs? At some point, when are program improves its prestige, we may be able to grab some elite DFW recruits, but we aren't there yet. Hot Toddy just has to do his homework and find players were no one else is looking.

Good thoughts in theory, but the internet uncovers all the gems that used to be overllooked. Add to the fact that only the city kids used to be the only ones attending camps leaves very few overllooked kids anywhere.

The kid took WKY over Rice??? You have to be kidding me. I would have to have a serious...very serious discussion with my som if he wanted to take WKY over Rice. Come on. EDUCATION...EDUCATION! Not knocking WKY as such, but Rice?

The kid took WKY over Rice??? You have to be kidding me. I would have to have a serious...very serious discussion with my som if he wanted to take WKY over Rice. Come on. EDUCATION...EDUCATION! Not knocking WKY as such, but Rice?

Yeah... Rice over WKU is a no brainer from the academic end. Not to mention the limited oportunities that the Bowling Green Region has compared to Houston which is kind of important after a kid graduates.

Sometimes wish I lived down in Texas instead of here. Very narrow job sector here and shrinking with the auto industry situation.

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™

Yeah... Rice over WKU is a no brainer from the academic end. Not to mention the limited oportunities that the Bowling Green Region has compared to Houston which is kind of important after a kid graduates.

Sometimes wish I lived down in Texas instead of here. Very narrow job sector here and shrinking with the auto industry situation.

But you have Kige!