Giving You The Headphones

I think I'm included in the vast majority of people on this board who believe that UNT can be better...and that an organized group consisting of 3 helper monkeys, 4 dolphins and 2 Dave Bliss's could call a better football game than our current coaching staff...so heres your chance to prove it.

What would you change in terms of play calling, personnel usage and any and all other football aspects that clearly this staff is unqualified to determine. If this gets big enough...and with sufficient winning football ideas...I will certainly forward this on to the attention of RV.

Me...I personally have never played football outside of an All Campus Championship flag football team, but I do regularly win national championships on NCAA 09...and I am smart enough to have one formation under center (mind you its a flexbone set using Willie Taylor as QB) and at least 2 with a tight end.

If we all put our collective football knowledge together, I know we can be great. Your thoughts?

My personal preference for a play calling system involves a matrix made up of all the possible calls for game situations (down/distance). Print this matrix on a sheet of plywood and have it on the ground behind our bench with a low fence around it. You will need several sheets, one for each situation. Then introduce a live, recently fed chicken to the mix...and take its "advice".

My personal preference for a play calling system involves a matrix made up of all the possible calls for game situations (down/distance). Print this matrix on a sheet of plywood and have it on the ground behind our bench with a low fence around it. You will need several sheets, one for each situation. Then introduce a live, recently fed chicken to the mix...and take its "advice".

Isn't that basically those big, goofy charts that Oklahoma State has on their sideline? Did T. Boone Pickens pay for those?

I haven't really controlled an offense since the days of the Cobbs/Thomas backfield in NCAA 05, but I don't think my brilliant offensive mind has diminished.

1. Do away with the terrible look back at the coach play calling. We've got enough WRs & RBs to simply cycle in and out with the play call. I'd also like to think that at this point Gio/Rodge should be able to recognize defenses and audible at the line without having to continually look back at Dodge for the play.

2. Run more 2 back sets. With Cam, Dunbar, Hamilton, Mathis, and Mosely we've got 5 somewhat proven playmakers, as opposed to the mostly unproven WR corps returning. Move the backs around and vary up the looks you give the defense. The last game of the year I sat in front of Vizza's grandfather who spent the entire game announcing to our section if the upcoming play would be a run or pass based solely on the side of Gio the RB lined up on. I'm not sure which was more annoying, the fact that he did it the entire game or the fact that he was right all but 2 or 3 times....

Make these changes and begin running the sweet play below every possession and I guarantee instant success.

Sweet Play:sweetplay.jpg

Edited by Green P1

1. No more no huddle garbage I want the a huddle where a receiver/running back runs in the play. I think too many opposing Defensive coordinators have picked up on the signals. I watched Ark st, and Florida international/lafayette (I can not remember which) watch the signals then run to his defense and change the play. Also Tasty reported Lamo did this as well. Because everything is this offense is supposedly simple, I am willing to bet the signals are as well. Additionally, I do not think we could make the signals more complicated because when dodge first came here the team had issues understanding the signals.

2. I want to see the use of tide ends more often. Maybe even move Jordan Scoggins back to Tight end. He played the position in high school and If I remember correctly he was pretty good and prefers that position over DT. I know we are not very deep at DT but it is not like he is really producing at the position.

3. I would like to see more two RB sets. I really think Dunbar is the second coming of freshman Jamario and Cobbs. He looked really good before he got injured and he was only a freshman. We have Cam back for another season and the two of them in the backfield together would be a really powerful weapon. Not to mention, the backups such as Mosely, and Hamilton look promising as well. Mosley is not the quickest RB but he is very dependable. Not really sure about Hamilton's potential at RB but bottom line the guy is an athlete. Finally, have no idea about the potential of Mathis........

4. I think Gio knows plays and is comfortable with the system and as a result I would love to see him do some on the field play calling during the year. If not Gio, Riley can definitely call the plays he has played in this system his whole life. I hope Gio starts next year, I think he just had a sophomore slump I bet he come back next year and does great. I think Riley will lead us to greatness his junior and senior year. He looked really good when he played this season. However, he is to small now and will get injured too easily. During the games he played this year, he was manhandled by the defenses.

5. I would REALLY work hard with the WR's this off season. We cannot afford to continue to recruit more and more receivers when we desperately need other positions such as DT. Although there is some argument about the abilities of the receivers Dodge recruited, I think we have few that will be really good. Although Roberson did little to nothing on the field this year I really think give him some time and he will be great. Additionally, I bet Rucker will be really great if he stays out of jail. I bet Brgham will be pretty good as well. I guess my point is that I hope we do not waste more scholarships on receivers. I think the ones we already have on roster have a lot of potential. However, the loss of Fitz and stickler (of according to the Lafayette T.V announcer last year "Strickler") is really going to suck. If the receivers we currently have do not step up and make something happen our spread offense will be worse than this year.

6. In regards to play calling, I really hope we start throwing down field more often. I think dodge played the dink and dunk game this year to keep opposing offenses of the field. However, when all we do is five yard passes the defenses do not get spread out enough. I wan to see Roberson and Rucker down field constantly next year.

7. Recruit Defensive lineman.......... WHAT A NEWS FLASH............

8. I want to see the defense start to be more aggressive. I want to see some hard hitting. I do not care if its late or of bounds just hitting the opposition as hard as they can. Although, its bad to ask them to play dirty, but frankly at this point I do not care. In regards to defensive schemes I am not worries Deloach will get them on track. HIT HARD!!!

It has been a ruff season but now that I have had time to sit bacl and think about it a little I think we will see great improvement next year. We will see improvment for the following reasons:

1. The RB's are going to be great

2. I bet Gio will play much better next year

3. Deloach will make this defense better during the off season

4. our special teams returning has improved a lot during this season.

5. We have a ton of young players and they are getting better.

6. The offensive line is getting better...... we will have the the center back and JJ Johnson will be able to play guard and Hollivay started to show some potential. Hopefully Jenkins will put down the Big Macs and be ready for next season.

Things will not be better if:

1. No receivers step up

2. We do not recruit quality DT's

3. we continue to nickel and dime down the field

4. Special teams continue to suck

My prediction for next year: 5 and 7 anything less and Dodge has got to go. I know that 5 and 7 still sucks but I am trying to be realistic.... Actually to think of it, is 5 and 7 realistic considering the way we played this year?

I know everyone wants to get rid of dodge, but bottom line he will be hear next year and we need to deal with it.

I'm going to start a dogpile on the idea to get rid of looking back to the sidelines for the playcall after getting into position. That sucks. Big time. Hated it when ULL did it to us a few years before Dodge got here and hate it MORE now that we have to watch it every game!

Die fake no-huddle! DIE!!!