Football, Football Recruiting Notes

Brett Vito

What is the deal with the Miller situation? There must be something going on that we do not know about.....

Miller was good enough to play in 2006 on a defense that ended up around 75th in the nation. He was the leading returning player from last year but he is not good enough to play for Dodge. Dodge's defense is what about 119th in the nation? Joseph is a good kid but since he didn't test positive he can't play on this team. Apparently you must do drugs to play for Dodge at SLC and here.

Miller was good enough to play in 2006 on a defense that ended up around 75th in the nation. He was the leading returning player from last year but he is not good enough to play for Dodge. Dodge's defense is what about 119th in the nation? Joseph is a good kid but since he didn't test positive he can't play on this team. Apparently you must do drugs to play for Dodge at SLC and here.

PHS,

Why then, if players are so mistreated (not saying they are or are not), then why don't they leave the team. What is there to gain by staying and wasting their lives? Nobody is going to the NFL, so why don't they just walk out. Nobody is a the door with a gun.

PHS,

Why then, if players are so mistreated (not saying they are or are not), then why don't they leave the team. What is there to gain by staying and wasting their lives? Nobody is going to the NFL, so why don't they just walk out. Nobody is a the door with a gun.

Probably because these kids want to play football. Transferring out costs them a year of eligibility and will cause them to lose their scholarships. Schollies don't grow on trees. My position coach in college was the biggest A-hole I've ever met, period. It always blew my mind that guys would play year, after year, after year, for this guy that everyone on the team acknowledged this person to be a big POS.

PHS,

For some of these young men it is the only way for them to get a college education. They made a commitment to the school and the school made a commitment to them. Some of them want to live up to their commitment and stand up for a coach that is now turning his back on them. Miller is one of the players that needed the 5th year to get his degree and does not have the means to do that without the scholarship.

For some of these young men it is the only way for them to get a college education. They made a commitment to the school and the school made a commitment to them. Some of them want to live up to their commitment and stand up for a coach that is now turning his back on them. Miller is one of the players that needed the 5th year to get his degree and does not have the means to do that without the scholarship.

That is a shame. I always admired Miller's fire on the sidelines. At times, he seemed to be the only player on defense that really cared. Instead of sulking on the bench, he is often seen trying to fire up his teammates after a poor defensive stand.

Why would you not want a player like this on the team ?

I am not saying that the others were not trying. But, Miller was the only one that really seemed to be upset about it.

So Dodge is the sole reason that Miller cannot come back? I mean, is he the one stopping it in your opinion, or is it the red tape? If Dodge is, that is sad as Miller deserves better

Under the new rules I have no real idea how the SCB would rule. Dodge is the person that request the medical redshirt. Are there ways around Dodge maybe but how do you get a scholarship without your coach?

You asked why the players just don't leave. Ask that question after this semester or before two-a-days start and we will discuss the 15 to 20 players that leave this year. My count has us at 7 and the season is not over.

You asked why the players just don't leave. Ask that question after this semester or before two-a-days start and we will discuss the 15 to 20 players that leave this year. My count has us at 7 and the season is not over.

That's actually 1 or 2 lower than what I currently expect, but I haven't really been pursuing things since basketball season started. Are you being cautious in your estimate, or have a few guys changed their minds about trying to leave?

Joseph is a good kid but since he didn't test positive he can't play on this team. Apparently you must do drugs to play for Dodge at SLC and here.

seriously???? you get onto people because they make brash assumptions about things and you mention this???? so vizza, cam, mosely, fitz, and others are all on drugs???? so i guess if meager gets to play on saturday, which i hope he does, then he's on drugs as well???

i don't get it...

PHS,

Why don't these players leave?

1. EDUCATION

2. When they signed a letter of intent to play football for the University of North Texas, they made a COMMITTMENT TO the Univeristy of North Texas. Signing that letter of intent is like signing a contract.

3. They are not quitters.

4. They have more CLASS than Dodge and his staff

No 14 of the underclassmen tested positive and all are playing

and, this is just a guess on the low side, about 40 players play per game, so 35% are on drugs, leaving 65% not on drugs and playing. this still doesn't add up to miller being on drugs and getting to play. drugs has nothing to do with it. i don't know why he isn't playing and i don't really care, but i do know that taking drugs isn't a prerequisite of playing north texas ball under dodge, as you stated.

Edited by radiogreen

No 14 of the underclassmen tested positive and all are playing

No offense but how do you know who tested positive and who didn't when all that information is private?

I know many are guilty by being associated with X player or Y player but who really knows what? And of course, they were all under classmen. Come on.

I know facts related to Miller that your not addressing. But whose to say that I really know anything.

Just because your son thinks this or that doesn't necessarily mean its true or false. People give your son a lot of credit for hanging in there and I believe he deserves it but if he is giving you info about his team, then shame on him. No way he knows with 100% accuracy that certain players did this or that. So in that case, he is better to keep his mouth shut.

Its been a horrible two years for anyone associated with this program and thank god its almost over for all the seniors and their parents. Thank goodness its almost over for everyone.

Just don't be sour grapes for players who might have made a bad choice on just one night. I'm sure their are seniors from this year's team who have made some bad choices in their 4 or 5 years on campus. Maybe not your angel, but I'm sure some have broken some rules or even the law since coming to UNT.

Edited by Dodge2007

why not make it 100% that are not on drugs? What happened to the players that did test positive? Nothing. Why not sit these players down for 2 or 3 games like other schools. We might not win??

don't know...can't answer that. their punishment is directly in line with the ncaa. i don't care that they didn't miss a game. kids screw up...nothing new about that.

The punishment is in line with school policy. The NCAA will get into this for the ones that used a masking agent that is on the list of the NCAA

so if it is in line with school policy, what's the issue? all procedures have been followed. we may not like them, but nothing is wrong with what dodge did. there are plenty of policies at the school where i teach that i don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that they should be changed.

No offense but how do you know who tested positive and who didn't when all that information is private

It's called the Freedom of Information Act.

And of course, they were all under classmen. Come on.

Believe what you want but sometimes the truth hurts.

I know facts related to Miller that your not addressing.

I don't think you know anything about Joseph Miller

Just because your son thinks this or that doesn't necessarily mean its true or false. People give your son a lot of credit for hanging in there and I believe he deserves it but if he is giving you info about his team, then shame on him. No way he knows with 100% accuracy that certain players did this or that. So in that case, he is better to keep his mouth shut.

I am sure you have these facts just like you have the facts on Joseph Miller.

Just don't be sour grapes for players who might have made a bad choice on just one night. I'm sure their are seniors from this year's team who have made some bad choices in their 4 or 5 years on campus. Maybe not your angel, but I'm sure some have broken some rules or even the law since coming to UNT.

I know for a fact that some of the seniors have made some questionable choices but in their 4/5 years at UNT they HAVE NOT tested positive for drugs. I don't think you have seen any of the seniors names in the paper nor have they been associated with things that have brought any kind of attention down on UNT like the attention UNT has received this year.

While everyone is bitching a moaning about this, no one has asked if Miller wants to come back. Maybe he's done. Maybe 4 years of FB is enough. Maybe he wants to finish out his college life being a regular student. Maybe he doesn't want to go through another offseason and potential rehab that's ahead. Maybe his heart just isn't in it anymore.

I don't know what Miller's mindset is, but to blatantly blame TD for not pursuing a redshirt on a kid who may not even want it is pretty sorry. From my perspective there seems to be more to this than just not wanting Miller around. He's a good kid, a decent player, at a position of need = there's a reason why a red-shirt is not being pursued and maybe it's because Miller has had his fill of college football and he's done.

Edited by GMoney