More Recognition For Miami Dolphins' Patrick Cobbs

gksmith

Miami Herald Patrick Cobbs article

More recognition for Miami Dolphins' Patrick Cobbs

Patrick Cobbs, mostly anonymous at North Texas, is finding the spotlight more often with the Dolphins.

Posted on Sunday, 10.26.08

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

One afternoon shortly after his hiring, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano strolled through the team's weight room to learn more about his inherited players when he spotted a face that didn't initially strike him as being familiar.

''Who's that guy?'' Sparano said.

''That's Cobbs,'' said a Dolphins employee, who was standing nearby. "That's Patrick Cobbs.''

Sparano didn't know the face, but he certainly knew the name. If you were a football guy in Texas a few years back (and Sparano's ties to the Cowboys certainly qualify), you had at least heard about this undersized running back's oversized collegiate feats.

''He's like a legend out there,'' Sparano laughed.

As more NFL onlookers surely have also wondered about ''that guy,'' who is averaging 25 yards on eight catches over the past two weeks for Miami, Cobbs seems to be suddenly carrying his quiet legacy at the University of North Texas onto a bigger stage.

A third-string specialty back? Sure, you can call him that. But it's not going to stop Sparano from utilizing his ability as much as any other player on his roster when the Dolphins play the Bills in an AFC East showdown at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Cobbs, who is 5-8, 205 pounds, might not look like a playmaker, but he has certainly been acting like one lately. He's used in the Wildcat. He's used as a blocker on kickoffs. And Sunday, he'll continue to be used as a receiver.

''People have always been shocked when I do something,'' Cobbs said. "I don't blame them, either. I am the third running back. But I enjoy it. The coaches are getting me into the offense, and I'm trying to make the most of every play when I get in there.''

Nationally, Cobbs might be best known for his 80-yard touchdown catch out of the Wildcat formation against the Texans.

Appropriately, it was not far from Houston where Cobbs' true legacy -- even if little known -- was solidified.

MAKING TEXAS HISTORY

In 2003, Cobbs became just the fourth player in Texas history (following Ricky Williams) to win the nation's rushing and scoring titles for Division I-A football. He averaged 152.7 yards and 11.5 points per game.

He eclipsed 200 yards in a game four times that season.

''Locally, everyone was into it,'' Cobbs said. "I got a little national news, but it just happened so fast. I didn't even realize I was leading the country until Week 7, when my coach told me.''

But Cobbs' accolades were never really recognized. Despite the rushing title, he wasn't included on any All-American ballots. He wasn't even included as a finalist for the Doak Walker award, given to the nation's best running back.

Former Michigan running back Chris Perry, who had 6 fewer yards and one fewer touchdown, won the award. Perry did play in a tougher conference.

''But it didn't surprise me,'' Cobbs said. "I always get classed as the underdog. When I'm on the field, I feel like I do just as much as anybody else. I work hard, and I like to think I'm smart. I like to think I understand football.''

Cobbs, who missed the following season with a knee injury, had another solid season in 2005 at North Texas. But he wasn't even among 330 players invited to the NFL scouting combine.

EMBRACING HIS ROLE

These days, however, Cobbs is starting to show his NFL potential. He draws inspiration from two former Dolphins teammates, Sammy Morris and Travis Minor, who have had success in the league despite initially being stereotyped as lacking every-down potential.

Behind Ronnie Brown and Williams, Cobbs realizes he's not likely to ever be a starter in Miami. That's fine with him -- especially considering the role he has suddenly found himself occupying.

''I love this game,'' Cobbs said. "No matter what I'm doing, no matter what role they ask me to play, I just want to play as long as I can. When my time is up, it's up. But I hope it's not anytime soon.''

The running back has carried the ball only four times this season, but he has caught 10 passes for 216 yards (two of which were for 80-yard touchdowns). Against the Bills, he is likely to take on a similar role as one of quarterback Chad Pennington's favorite outlets.

And when he's not catching passes? Sparano said Cobbs is one of the team's most utilized and consistent players, with responsibilities that include downfield blocks on kickoffs and punts.

''The guy just sits there and he shakes his head yes, and he does it to the best of his ability and it's usually the right thing,'' Sparano said. "We talk about consistent players, guys that have effort and guys that are highly efficient at their job. Cobbs is in that mix in all three categories.

"He's consistent, he's efficient and he's effective.''

As a result, Sparano doesn't just know the name. Now, he'll also never forget his face.