How Ignorant Are People Towards Unt Football !

UNT_playmaker

Last week, I was with a group of friends who all got together at Texas Roadhouse late one weekday for some dinner. Everyone there was either a UNT alum, attended UNT or was a current student and went to the football games in the past.

I told everyone that the stadium vote was coming up and I felt very confident at that time that the vote would pass, a couple of people said the program didnt need a new stadium because the program never got off its feet and never blossomed, except in the Dickey days and they were over.

I went on to say we need a new stadium for recruiting, apperance, and better opponents, and conference. These were all UNT alums who said, that the program will never amount to anything until it gets the quality players needed to perform against the better opponents. I went on to tell them that UNT in the mid 1970's was ranked as high as #10 in the nation, had the #1 defense, and went 10-1, 9-2 each season. To my amazement, only a few people knew this and were shocked to hear that were once so good, but it was all taken away by a wicked adminstration and dropping to Div 1-AA. So it caused them to be more accepting of the student vote and what we as a program can become.

No time has ever been more important to educate and tell people of where we have been and where we want to be in the near future. Educate people alums and current students to try to promote the stadium vote and a better recognition of our football program. I know we are going through a rough time and we are at odds with the coaching staff but lets look towards where we want to be and the new stadium has alot to do with that aspect.

VOTE YES FOR THE NEW UNT FOOTBALL STADIUM>>>>>>>>

Last week, I was with a group of friends who all got together at Texas Roadhouse late one weekday for some dinner. Everyone there was either a UNT alum, attended UNT or was a current student and went to the football games in the past.

I told everyone that the stadium vote was coming up and I felt very confident at that time that the vote would pass, a couple of people said the program didnt need a new stadium because the program never got off its feet and never blossomed, except in the Dickey days and they were over.

I went on to say we need a new stadium for recruiting, apperance, and better opponents, and conference. These were all UNT alums who said, that the program will never amount to anything until it gets the quality players needed to perform against the better opponents. I went on to tell them that UNT in the mid 1970's was ranked as high as #10 in the nation, had the #1 defense, and went 10-1, 9-2 each season. To my amazement, only a few people knew this and were shocked to hear that were once so good, but it was all taken away by a wicked adminstration and dropping to Div 1-AA. So it caused them to be more accepting of the student vote and what we as a program can become.

No time has ever been more important to educate and tell people of where we have been and where we want to be in the near future. Educate people alums and current students to try to promote the stadium vote and a better recognition of our football program. I know we are going through a rough time and we are at odds with the coaching staff but lets look towards where we want to be and the new stadium has alot to do with that aspect.

VOTE YES FOR THE NEW UNT FOOTBALL STADIUM>>>>>>>>

Good post playmaker. I was not quite yet at NT back then in the late 70's, but I was following the progam regularly and attended several games. We were as good as ANYBODY and were getting regular front page publicity in the DMN and the Dallas Times Herald. A lot of current students and more recent grads. don't realize that we have had some REAL success here. Frustrating success at times, but still real success. It CAN be done again with MUCH better long-term results which could "stick" instead of "coming and going" success like we have had recently. This stadium vote is crucial, not only for the future of the football program, but for the future of the school as a whole. I hope that the majority of students can find a way to realize this.

Man I miss the Dallas Times Herald..... I think Dallas is the only major city in the U.S. that has only one paper...

It is not good to have one company running all of the media in an area, especially a company like Belo. But I must admit I am a huge fan of TXCN and it is my favorite television station, excellent Hurricane IKE coverage, live from Houston....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Joe Greene. That is what the casual fan at our school knows about the history of our program, and that is an important part. But, think about the flying worm. Though it was ugly, it was ahead of its time when you look at some of the helmet logos today (i.e. Kansas State). No, we have not been to the Rose Bowl. I was at the stadium when Florida St. played here in the snow. I think they brought 55 player or something like that, and only a dozen or so had seen snow. This was in the 70's, and Bowden was just getting the program off the ground. The TN game, being ranked in the top 25, and possible National Championship in Div. II IF we had not gone to Nevada to play them, there was a blizzard. But we chose to do that. There has been a lot of good.

I started reading the Herald when I was around eight. Dallas hasn't been the same with just one paper, especially now that the paper's getting smaller and smaller. Unless things have changed recently, Denver has two papers -- the Post and the Rocky Mountain News.

you can't blame our drop to 1aa on the "wicked" administration. life is "what do you want, what do you need and what are you willing to pay for". at that time, 1a required 15,000 butts in the seat in a 30,000 seat stadium. we didn't average 15,000 during hayden fry's tenure, and the only way we were able to meet stadium reguirements was when a grad gave $1 million for 10,000 bleacher seats. since my freshman year of 61, there have been no major improvements to the football facalities untill the new ad building, and none to the stadium. the problem is money, or lack thereof. n.t. grads want some one else to buy them fine wine when they are only willing to pay for ripple. if r.v. can pull a new stadium off in the economic enviroment, he can probably walk on water.

I'm sorry, but I graduated during the Hayden Fry era, and I don't remember us ever being ranked as high as #10. I think we barely got into the top 20 (I think #16), but that is it.

Wardly, you are right that most North Texas fans want fine wine at rippple prices, but our administrators are somewhat to blame for the situation. And there is no better evidence of this than the ad campaign earlier this year (and last year) that focused on North Texas being a "bargain" education.

Dr. Matthews (your era) did not favor any sort of extra fund raising for the athletic program. In fact, he discouraged it. According to GrayEagleone, Odus Mitchell didn't like the idea either. That's why when Hayden Fry arrived he was shocked to find that there wasn't any sort of fund raising for athletics. Hayden is the one who started the Mean Green club. The tradition of giving to the athletic department started with him, and thanks to administrators who are negative (and I might add petty) about such things, it's been a constant struggle to get people in the habit of giving to the athletic department.