Muts Boost Student Tuition And Athletic Fees

MeanGreen61

Students at the three University of Louisiana system schools; ULL, La-Tech, and ULM, contribute almost $800.00 each per year for athletics.

Those schools are able to stay competitive with North Texas (which is about as large as all three combined) because the poor leadership at North Texas has been able to aviod facing the university's biggest issue.

It may seem a little excessive, and it's outside the state's set parameters, but a similar contribution at North Texas would create an athletic budget of around $24 million. What kind of fan/aluni support would North Texas have if it had excellent facilities and outstanding teams.

Edited by ADLER

Unfortunately the UT and A&M alums in the statehouse won't allow any of the other BORs in the state to raise athletic fees without a student vote. We're not even allowed to have a dedicated athletics fee.

That is exactly why we need leadership from our administration. A president stating that she will stand aside and "go along with whatever" is not leadership. You can put a green shirt on a sack of potatos and get the same result.

The historical lack of success caused by underfunding North Texas athletics has landed one of the largest colleges in the nation in last place in the lowest ranked conference in the nation.

Most colleges have post-season success on a regular basis. North Texas has won one postseason football game in the last 60 years (including 1A and 1AA), and only gotten into the NCAA basketball tournament twice during that span, losing by double digits both times.

Alumni, the community, the student body, and potential sponsors all distance themselves from the stigma that's been caused by the lack of leadership. North Texas has become an afterthought in it's own market and totally insignificant outside of it. Why? Because some people don't want to make the tough decisions and utilize their leadership.

Lead Gretchen, Lead! Tell people what needs to be done to start getting some positive recognition for this university.

That is exactly why we need leadership from our administration. A president stating that she will stand aside and "go along with whatever" is not leadership. You can put a green shirt on a sack of potatos and get the same result.

The historical lack of success caused by underfunding North Texas athletics has landed one of the largest colleges in the nation in last place in the lowest ranked conference in the nation.

Most colleges have post-season success on a regular basis. North Texas has won one postseason football game in the last 60 years (including 1A and 1AA), and only gotten into the NCAA basketball tournament twice during that span, losing by double digits both times.

Alumni, the community, the student body, and potential sponsors all distance themselves from the stigma that's been caused by the lack of leadership. North Texas has become an afterthought in it's own market and totally insignificant outside of it. Why? Because some people don't want to make the tough decisions and utilize their leadership.

Lead Gretchen, Lead! Tell people what needs to be done to start getting some positive recognition for this university.

WAY TO GO JEFF!!!! DENTON AND UNT ADMINS DON'T WANT TO HEAR THIS, BUT THE MESSAGE MUST BE LOUD AND CLEAR TO BOTH ADMINS AND CITY OF DENTON THAT WE DEMAND A COMPETITIVELY FUNDED ATHLETIC PROGRAM. I WILL BE SEEING GRETCHEN AND RV TOMMORROW AND THEY WILL GET THIS MESSAGE I ASSURE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO JEFF!!!! DENTON AND UNT ADMINS DON'T WANT TO HEAR THIS, BUT THE MESSAGE MUST BE LOUD AND CLEAR TO BOTH ADMINS AND CITY OF DENTON THAT WE DEMAND A COMPETITIVELY FUNDED ATHLETIC PROGRAM. I WILL BE SEEING GRETCHEN AND RV TOMMORROW AND THEY WILL GET THIS MESSAGE I ASSURE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, ok. How do you plan to skirt around state law?

Hmm, ok. How do you plan to skirt around state law?

pppsh. The law never stops those on the side of righteousness. Like H.R. Haldeman, who not only was above the law, he had one SWEET flat top:

hald_lg.jpg

Look at that thing... It is MAGNIFICENT!'

If you are ever looking for me at an athletics event, look for the guy with a slide rule and that haircut.

Edited by MeanGreenEngineer

My late father used to tell me "Can't never could do anything". I have heard the word can't more times than I can recall in my almost 50 years of following UNT athletics. If we are ever going to get off dead center, it will be with a grass roots movement that says we want a D-1 budgeted athletic program NOW!!! No four year plan for winning FB, no 12 year capital campaign that stays mired in the "quiet phase", no faculty or students who demean our university, and make apathy shunned rather than embraced. This is the message that needs to be sent loud and clear to those in power, but it will take real grass roots die hards to send it home. As far as this stupid state law which smacks of UT,TAM politics being a burden, I say make it an advantage by taking our cause to the media for some investigative reporting as to why it's there and who was responsible for it. We can sit by and let all college athletics pass us by (and I include the SLC in that as we are already far down the food chain in the SBC) or we can say I'm mad as hell and I won't take this attitude anymore. It's time for Gretchen, Jackson,and all the others to be for or against D-1 athletics--no more lip service, we want action NOW!!

put more unt alums in office. Yes we can. Ffr for govenor!