Bowl Changes Review

Off the CUSA board.

Here's my recap of what has been announced regarding the bowls over the last week.

Winners

1. CUSA. Overall they made out the best of all the conferences. First they were able to move the Liberty Bowl to a Jan 2nd prime time slot. CUSA continues to have 6 bowls as they did last year but they traded up from Hawaii to the Texas Bowl. Hawaii is only a good bowl to participate in for a West Coast school or an Academy.

The second bowl they moved was Papa John's to St Pete, also a nice upgrade. Papa was floundering with CUSA in the mix, no travel interest from the CUSA #5 team. St. Pete is going to be great for recruiting and usually UCF or East Carolina will be the participant.

2. SEC. The SEC was able to set up another Jan 2 bowl game by moving the Liberty and picked up another bowl which its capable in filling in Papa John's that should take off with their participation. South Carolina was left home last year at 6-6 and as the deepest conference unlike the ACC they really could put 9-10 schools in bowls.

3. MAC. The MAC's backup agreement is a good one because the ACC has never had 9 bowl eligible schools. The academies can also be unpredictable in picking up that 6th win. It would be nice to see a fourth regular tie-in but this is the next best thing. Geography wise this game is going to be a good fit for Temple and within driving distance of most MAC East schools.

The MAC is also going to benefit from bowl saturation with the addition of 2 new bowl games. The last at-large opening was in 2006, when the MAC's backup agreement in the Poinsettia placed NIU in that bowl. With BCS schools tweaking schedules to make a 6 or 7 wins more possible it has gotten harder lately for the MAC to find an at-large.

Also the MAC is receiving an upgrade to the International, now with the 4th selection from the Big East. This in conjunction with a downgrade of ND's status with the Gator could make a MAC-ND matchup possible.

Improved

1. Big East. The Big East essentially traded the Texas Bowl for the new St. Pete Bowl. That was a good pick up for the Big East. I'm not sure if the SEC #9 tie-in will be better for the Big East in the Papa John's. In some years they may be stuck with Troy or MTSU from the Sun Belt.

2. ACC. At least in the short term, the ACC will not be participating in its new Congressional Bowl. If the ACC as expected decides to move out of Boise that will make it more probable with a #8 but what if the ACC puts a second team in the BCS? I would anticipate even with the #8 selection the ACC will only send a team to DC 50% of the time.

Losers

1. WAC. Failed to pick up a 4th bowl agreement with the Rocky Mountain. Not that anyone in this conference besides Fresno, Boise and Hawaii ever deserves a bowl but they are in danger of leaving a 6-6 team at home with no shot an at-large.

The WAC has made 2 straight BCS games but they really have a lousy bowl set up playing 3 games at on campus stadiums. Playing a bowl game at a on campus location is really bush league. All MAC agreements are at off campus locations for a higher degree of quality.

2. SBC. This conference is entering its 8th year of play and has yet to move its lineup past the N.O. Bowl.

Play on the field is improving and was as good as CUSA last year. There is no reason why they couldn't have taken the Texas bowl slot from CUSA for a #2 bowl. They must have a really inept commissioner at the SBC front office.

The SBC is at risk of being shut out from additional tie-ins as the NCAA may not approve anymore bowl applications if the numbers after this year are cutting it close. The SBC could have 3 6-6 teams all sitting at home.

Edited by MeanGreen61

2. SBC. This conference is entering its 8th year of play and has yet to move its lineup past the N.O. Bowl.

Play on the field is improving and was as good as CUSA last year. There is no reason why they couldn't have taken the Texas bowl slot from CUSA for a #2 bowl. They must have a really inept commissioner at the SBC front office.

The SBC is at risk of being shut out from additional tie-ins as the NCAA may not approve anymore bowl applications if the numbers after this year are cutting it close. The SBC could have 3 6-6 teams all sitting at home.

Gee anyone else disagree... I bet not, however I am not so sure anyone wants to see 6-6 teams go at it. just my opinion.

Troy was 8-4 last year (6-1 SBC), and still sat at home. It could happen again.

I understand that, but people see a 6-6 record and wont tune in to see a "mediocre team" even if they do go 6-1 in conference. outsiders still see 6-6. I agree that SBC should have another tie in. and I agree the comish is letting things slip away.