Some Interesting Bowl Stuff In This Article

MeanGreen61

Appears that CUSA is trying very hard to get another bowl. Wonder if WW is napping or............... ?

At this point, the biggest hurdle for the Congressional Bowl involves lining up a conference to fill the other slot. Metcalf has engaged in extensive discussions with the Atlantic Coast Conference and Conference USA and said Monday he was confident a deal would be struck with one of the two. ESPN has tentatively agreed to televise the new bowl game provided there is a guaranteed opponent for Navy.

Meanwhile, Georgia Tech sold a mere 500 tickets for the Humanitarian Bowl and Tulsa brought just 2,000 fans to the GMAC Bowl. Utah, Navy's opponent in the Poinsettia Bowl, unloaded only 3,850 tickets despite being located relatively close to San Diego.

Article

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/r...08/03_23-63/NAS

Yeah, just one more example of how we're a better conference than... errrrr oops. Not quite yet...

There are too many bowls. C-USA has too many as-is. Teams should have to be at least 7-5 to go bowling, in my opinion.

This has been discussed ad-naseum, but hey, it's the off-season- lets beat the high horse. Wait, it's gotta be your bull...

Sun Belt will add a bowl in 2009 and if things go well could have a third in 2010.

Who's going to play in it? Big XII #11 or MAC #5, C-USA #7... Whatever SBC Bowl added will be the bottom of the heap and will sell 10-12K seats if lucky. Conferences that have multiple tie ins barely fill the spots with bowl eligible teams as it is.

Make up your mind. Do you want to piss on the Sun Belt for not having as many bids as CUSA? Or do you want the bids and struggle to find opponents and sell tickets to those games like CUSA?

Memphis was reported to have sold 2,000 tickets for the New Orleans Bowl and "hoped" to sell as many as a 1,000 more.

I've heard that our new bowl will be in Tijuana.

But that's contingent on Wright Waters lining up "Maria's Burro Show" as the bowl sponsor.

Cal: You think "A woman ****** a horse" and you get there and... it's a woman ****** a horse.

Andy Stitzer: Yeah.

Cal: It was really giving it to her. And you know what? To be honest I just felt bad for her, we all just felt bad for her.

Andy Stitzer: Yeah.

Cal: I kinda felt bad for the horse!

Andy Stitzer: Wow, that's something.

There are too many bowls. C-USA has too many as-is. Teams should have to be at least 7-5 to go bowling, in my opinion.

I thought you had to have a winning record? I thought if you were 6-6 you would have to petition the NCAA to let you play in one with a 6-6 record and they would only allow it if there were not enough teams with winning records?

What the heck, we should have enough bowls that everyone can play in them, regardless of their record - make it just like the Texas High School football playoffs. This is exactly why they will never have a playoff in college football.

I thought you had to have a winning record? I thought if you were 6-6 you would have to petition the NCAA to let you play in one with a 6-6 record and they would only allow it if there were not enough teams with winning records?

If a bowl has a tie-in with a particular league....that league can send a 6-6 team to the Bowl. That's why the Indy Bowl, which pits SEC vs. Big 12....had 6-6 Bama playing 6-6 Okie State.

Now, if a league can't make all of its' bowl commitments.....and some bowl is out searching for replacements...it has to take a replacement team with a winning record over a 6-6 team (that's how 7-5 MTSU got a Motor City bowl bid over 6-6 Kansas).

At least I think I'm right on all this.

I would be excited playing any Big 12 or SEC team regardless of record, but their fans may not feel the same about wanting to see a 7-5 UNT. I do see the Bowls becoming too watered down with .500 record teams to attract fans traveling a 1000 miles and spending mega $$. Most Memphis fans opted for basketball #1 vs #2 instead of seeing their .500 football team play a FAU school they could care less about. The quality of the game has important value, or not, to many fans.

Edited by NT80