State Of The Squad By Position - R Bs

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

What could have been the greatest running back in our history graduates this year and won't be easy to replace. However, the cupboard is not completely bare, especially since the new signees.

Keronna Henderson 6-0 237 SR Played in 11 games last year

Cam Montgomery 6-2 208 JR* Played in 4 games last year

Joshua Maldonado 5-5 180 JR

Micah Mosley 6-1 205 SO Played in 12 games last year

Lance Dunbar 5-9 185 FR

Jeremi Mathis 6-1 208 FR

I cannot find where Henderson has ever been given a scholarship and I'm carrying him as a non-scholarship player. However, he has lettered, maybe twice, so it's possible that the former walkon has received a scholarship and we just didn't hear about it. Most of his playing time lately has been on special teams but he has been a reliable blocker and short yardage runner in times past. I'm not that sure that he will see the field much this coming year but he has been helpful throughout his career.

I have Cam Montgomery listed as a junior because I had heard that we had applied for, and received, a medical redshirt. He only carried the ball three times last year (for 7 yards) and all of his appearances were brief. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not counting on Montgomery to be much help. His best statistics are from his senior year in high school. I seem to recall that he had a decent freshman year in JC but I thought that his sophomore season was unimpressive.

Josh Maldonado is a walkon who may never receive any playing time but he's a tough little competitor. He was actually a good high school player; one of the top rushers in a pretty tough district. But, the opposing players were smaller and slower. Anyway, Josh gives it his all and seems to just enjoy the game so much that he may return for another year.

Mosley is the returning starter and a tough runner. He averaged almost five yards per carry on 94 carries last year and scored 5 touchdowns. He does not have blazing speed but he is pretty fast as witnessed by his returning kickoffs last year. He's a tough runner but I think that he is going to need help to keep from taking so much of a beating.

Enter the freshmen. Both have totally different running styles but both are effective. Dunbar is exceptionally fast. DCTF reports that he runs a 4.4 forty. He also seems to be the better receiver out of the backfield. The unknown is, can he successfully protect Vizza on passing plays? At the least, I see him as likely returning kickoffs this coming year.

Jeremi Mathis is more of a power runner but he's not slow. I see him as somewhat of a clone of Micah Mosley as far as speed and running style. Whether he gets any playing time this year may depend on Micah Mosley's health IMO.

I see Mosley continuing to start but his relief will be Dunbar. Montgomery and Mathis could see enough PT to letter but I don't see them spending a lot of time on the field.

Comments?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Henderson lined up at TE a few times last season too.

I agree with Mosely starting and Dunbar spelling him for one or two series per half. If Montgomery is healthy and effective, maybe he comes off the bench for Mosely, and Dunbar RS's or gets PT returning and covering kicks?

I think that Dunbar might return both kickoffs and punts. He is likely our fastest player and had a fairly high number of receptions in high school so he must have good hands. I don't know if I'd want him covering kicks; we've got a ton of supposed 4.5s that will be DB candidates that I'd rather see covering kicks.

Starter: Micah Mosley

Backup: Cam Montgomery

Backup: Lance Dunbar

Backup: Jeremi Mathis

We are thin at this spot, but I like all of the above options quite a bit.

Mosley is steady and solid. He is going to keep the chains moving for you, and is a good redzone/greenzone back.

Montgomery...well the verdict is out on him. Hopefully he is healed and ready to go. Flashed positive signs last spring.

Dunbar is a change-of-pace type of guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield or even be a direct snap/reverse candidate.

Mathis is a lot like Mosley, except not as fast at this point. Could be used in max protection schemes or something similar.

Edited by UNT Mean Green