North Texas Home Games

Mad Hatter

I'm curious about our Home Game "production".

We have a very cool intro song, guys running the flags, smoke machine, etc...Is there a reason that we don't do more to make it even more of an event? Could we turn off the house lights to draw more attention to the fact that the team is coming out? Get some guys in the cat walks on spot lights and wave them around the Pit? then focus them on the tunnel right before the team comes out?

They could do something similar during the player introductions?

I'm fairly certain that wouldn't take much in the way of $, but would only take someone coordinating the lights. I think this would help the whole experience seem more entertaining to the fans, kind of like an NBA game.

Having said all that, there may be a reason that we don't already do it? Against NCAA rules?

Might seem silly if you only had 500 people there to watch? On the other hand, by increasing the overall enjoyment, could you increase the attendance numbers?

What are your thoughts?

What other ideas do you have?

The last time I checked the lighting at the SuperPit is such that it takes time to come on and off. That is to say that you cannot just turn them off,,,,they fade out and then fade back on when you turn them on. I am talking minutes to make the transition. That could make things a bit weird trying to get the dark lighting, spots, etc.

We can dim the lights, but we can't turn them off and then turn them back on a few minutes later. If we do turn off the lights, it takes like 15 minutes for them to come back on. To darken the arena, we need shutters on the light fixtures. I'm not sure what it would cost to have shutters put in.

Click here for some info on the start and warm-up of metal halide lamps, which is what the PIT uses.

Edited by UNTFan23

I used to like when teams turned out the lights during the intros in the early 90's when it was the new thing. But honestly, I think it's kind of overdone now that EVERYONE does it.

Not quite everyone. We can't seem to turn our lights off.

What other ideas do ya'll have?

Would spotlights do any good with our dimmed lights? Or would that just look funny?

Not quite everyone.

You know what I meant. :lol:

But back in the day there were only a handful of Pro basketball teams that did it(I really remember Chicago of course). Pretty soon it was all of the NBA and the NHL. Only a few college arenas do that I know of - off the top of my head UNLV and Rupp arena(sometimes) come to mind.

Sorry...I'll let the thread get back on topic. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. :)

I, for one, still think it gets the crowd "into" the game. I know that I get pumped to see the rest of the fans excitement....everyone kind of builds off everyone else's energy.

At the past few home games, I've just noticed that "The Champ is Here" starts playing and everyone just keeps talking amongst themselves. It's not until the band starts the fight song, and the team is halfway out of the tunnel, that the crowd reacts. Maybe the announcer could direct our attention to the highlight reel on the screens?

Just throwing out ideas.

Edited by Mad Hatter