What I Want To See Tomorrow

emmitt01

1)A complete game. I don't believe our team has put together a full 40 minutes of good basketball yet this season. We have had great 10-20 minute runs but never really put all of the pieces together. If we don't learn to stop taking the first 5 or so minutes off we will get in some trouble this season...yes, even in the Sun Belt.

2)Balance. I think it's great that Josh and Keith have had games of 25-28 points. But if you look at the box score from the UT game you see Josh with 28, Keith in double figures, one or two other guys with around 6 or so and then it drops off. McCoy and Dez had zero. I would love to see a stat line where, when you look down the scoring column, it looks like 17,13,12,8,8,7,6,6,5,5,4,etc. (That's 91 points :lol: ) If we continue to have 80% of our scoring coming from a select few it makes us much easier to scheme for. We have the horses to have the load shouldered evenly on any given night.

3)Good shooting that forces teams out of the zone. UTA killed us with the zone, NMSU had some success with it and watching the game against UT they too frustrated us a bit. I wanna see either better dribble penetration to collapse it or more/consistent spot up shooting from the mid-range. Let's not become that T-Pain song "I'm In Love With The Triple"

4)Good and lively crowd. I just can't help but harp on the need for fans to come out to see this basketball team. They, unlike our football team*, are putting a quality product on the field right now and it's worth making the effort to come see them. If we can support 2-10 football we can support a conference champion.

5)Play to our level and not theirs. Honestly tomorrow should be a game where we get up early and cruise. Good to great teams do this consistently. We need to be one of those teams.

*I have every confidence that our football team WILL turn it around.

Edited by emmitt01

I want to see...

1. McCoy have a breakout game

2. Domination on the boards (+10 or more)

3. Steals

4. More of our guys making outside shots(otherwise zones will continue to frustrate us)

5. Wooden and Williams to each get double doubles

6. At least 3K in attendance

Good post Emmitt.

I particularly agree with #3 and #5. UT and UTA killed us with their Zone defense. When we get our open looks, we've got to be able to knock them down consistently. I like that we can play "Up-Tempo" with anyone, but I'd really like to see our half court set progress as the season continues.

Playing to our competition has been a problem in recent years, and to some extent this year as well. When we truly outclass a team, I'd really like us to show that. Again, consistency is the key.

I want to see...

3. Steals

4. More of our guys making outside shots(otherwise zones will continue to frustrate us)

Having seen Hartford play...they will zone up (a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 match-up...it is actually a relativly effective look) most of the game as they have very little in terms of an inside pressence (starting center is 6'6" 250, starting PF is 6'5" 215).

Off your wish list:

1. God I hope so.

2. Should happen, we have a distinct size and strength advantage.

3. Should happen. No pure point guard for the Hawks, just 3-4 6'0" - 6'2" combo guards...they're solid all round players but not exceptional anywhere.

4. We'll get a chance to see...we'll see plenty of zone

5. Should happen.

6. Welcome to UNT after a loss...3K is quite optimistic...but I hope so.

We have all the intangible advantages...height, strength, athleticism ect...they have some shooters and play a good zone defense...it should be a walk though and Emmitt is right, good teams bury teams like Hartford quickly to prevent any hope of an upset. I think this team builds off the second half success it had against UT and jumps out quickly (18-4 run to open) and doesn't look back...87 - 61 final.

Having seen Hartford play...they will zone up (a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 match-up...it is actually a relativly effective look) most of the game as they have very little in terms of an inside pressence (starting center is 6'6" 250, starting PF is 6'5" 215).

Off your wish list:

1. God I hope so.

2. Should happen, we have a distinct size and strength advantage.

3. Should happen. No pure point guard for the Hawks, just 3-4 6'0" - 6'2" combo guards...they're solid all round players but not exceptional anywhere.

4. We'll get a chance to see...we'll see plenty of zone

5. Should happen.

6. Welcome to UNT after a loss...3K is quite optimistic...but I hope so.

We have all the intangible advantages...height, strength, athleticism ect...they have some shooters and play a good zone defense...it should be a walk though and Emmitt is right, good teams bury teams like Hartford quickly to prevent any hope of an upset. I think this team builds off the second half success it had against UT and jumps out quickly (18-4 run to open) and doesn't look back...87 - 61 final.

That's right...I remember when you scouted Hartford before. I figured we'd have size and speed advantages, though if they're a good zone squad....*shrug* Haven't mastered one yet really...

Thanks for the report as always CBL.

BTW - I know 3K is optimisitic. I'm banking on the "buzz" that supposedly the team is generating back home, plus the students might want to actually take a break from studying for a fun couple of hours. We've actually had decent crowds(for us) this season. I'm hoping the train keeps rolling.

Edited by CMJ

A couple thoughts after watching the UT game:

1. Team needs to come out determined not to get into a hole. Determined to not be out-hussled.

2. I thought UT's ball movement was so crisp compared to ours. I hope the team goes "OH! We can do that!" and does so

3. Full 40 minute game a la what Emmit explained

4. Show me improved offense against a zone.

5. Better on-the-ball defense. Seems like that's disappearing these days?

I want to see...

3. Steals

Regarding attendance...does it hurt us that the two Texas schools (UTA, UT) beat us??? Others not really focused on the big picture may just see that and think we stink...

Regarding attendance...does it hurt us that the two Texas schools (UTA, UT) beat us??? Others not really focused on the big picture may just see that and think we stink...

So why didn't out attendance go up in years past when we did beat schools from Texas(like A&M or Rice)? I don't buy that excuse.

---Back in old OLD MISSOURI VALLEY DAYS the old men's gym (aka: Snake Pit or The Pit) was packed on week-nights... it wasn't on week-ends because so many left campus.... but then again the enrollment was less than half of what we have now. 3000 should be an easy number to obtain...every game... we were doing that with less students and with teams that sometimes were not doing all that well. Other teams in the conference hated the place because of the crazy crowd here...it really loud..

Students need provide most of the support for basketball, especially weekday games.... Some just don't get it that support brings the school and their degree more recognition and credibility.