Defense

greenminer

Jesus, it's like a freaking witch hunt around here. Some folks just aren't happy unless they have someone to burn at the stake. All the defensive meltdowns this season are Mendoza's fault. He just can't coach at this level, can't make adjustments, can't motivate the D1 athelete. Everything was his freaking fault. And now that the defense finally had a decent game, Mendoza had nothing to do with it. Too bad we can't also blame him for the problems in Blue parking.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

The offense improved 100% this year, and I would attribute that to coaching. The defense, with 10 returning starters, drops 40 spots in the NCAA rankings and I would also attribute this to coaching. Mendoza might be a good position coach and a nice guy, but he isn't a D1 defensive coordinator. It that is what he wants to be, then let him earn his stripes at a lower level and work his way back up.

And Dodge2007, Mendoza did threaten FFR.

I don't know any of the coaching staff personally. I just don't understand wanting to fire a guy after his first season. As for the ass kicking, there are a few people here that deserve it but I doubt that Mendoza would do it on the field. :)

Well, if I have 120 accountants in my accounting firm, do you think that I should retain the 120th ranked accountant after his first year since his ranking would be a pretty clear indicator that he is not doing his job? It's a no brainer to me, and I don't see why football coaches should be treated any differently. The only difference is that Mendoza probably makes more money.

Well, if I have 120 accountants in my accounting firm, do you think that I should retain the 120th ranked accountant after his first year since his ranking would be a pretty clear indicator that he is not doing his job? It's a no brainer to me, and I don't see why football coaches should be treated any differently. The only difference is that Mendoza probably makes more money.

The problem with analogies is thay they can be crafted to back up any argument. They are like statistics and numerology in that regard.

For example, let's do the accounting firm analogy a different way that supports my perspective. Your firm is already in the bottom 10 percentile among accounting firms and next year's forecast looks even more bleak. You clean house and hire 3 new accountants. One of them has a bad year, worse than expected. Do you fire him? Or do you give him a chance because maybe you knew the accounts he was assigned to weren't going to do much business with your firm anyway. Maybe you knew that he wasn't going to get much help from a disgruntled staff that had been hired by the previous guy. Maybe you give him a chance to bring in some new business since he has good relationships with potential clients and a proven track record at his previous firm. Maybe you don't want your firm to develop a bad reputation among accounting professionals by firing him before he had a chance to build his organization. Seems like a no brainer to me. But it does require a level-head which some around here seem to lack. Also, for some folks, it's just not as fun or satisfying as joining in the fray and calling for his head.

I see two related and sad attitudes at play around here. 1) The mob mentality that enjoys joining in with others for the sake of kicking people who are down, especially when they are perceived to "make more money". 2) The witch hunt mentality that needs to blame all problems, no matter how interwoven and complex, on a single bad guy.

Are you sure he threatened him? I recall the story was that he was obviously angry and refused to shake his hand. What did he threaten him with?

Maybe threatened is too harsh, but what he did as a coach of this university is not acceptable.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

And Dodge2007, Mendoza did threaten FFR.

Mendoza never threatened anybody on the field. FFR blew that deal way out of proportion. Everyone loves Rick and came to his rescue, which is admirable, but Mendoza didn't do crap to FFR. I have asked around (players, coaches) and no one can tell me if that really happened. But yet the man gets pounded on this site for something he may NOT have ever done. Mendoza has been trashed about his lack of coaching (and that is fine) but to be branded as a man who was going to kick a fireman's ass (allegedly) is not fair.

No offense to FFR but that Mendoza post about his personal situation was absurd. It was absurd because its only one man's opinion about another and it can't be proven by anyone, yet FFR tarnished this guy's character on this site.

Edited by Dodge2007

Mendoza never threatened anybody on the field. FFR blew that deal way out of proportion. Everyone loves Rick and came to his rescue, which is admirable, but Mendoza didn't do crap to FFR. I have asked around (players, coaches) and no one can tell me if that really happened. But yet the man gets pounded on this site for something he may NOT have ever done. Mendoza has been trashed about his lack of coaching (and that is fine) but to be branded as a man who was going to kick a fireman's ass (allegedly) is not fair.

No offense to FFR but that Mendoza post about his personal situation was absurd. It was absurd because its only one man's opinion about another and it can't be proven by anyone, yet FFR tarnished this guy's character on this site.

Dude... people SAW it happen. Are you really that blinded by this guy? You're his wife or kid or something?

Mendoza did EXACTLY what FFR said he did. FFR is not a liar. Neither are the few who saw it happen. You're a troll. Nothing more. You attack respected members of this community, yet have been around here since **GASP** THIS YEAR! ...that certainly makes you an expert on all things North Texas.

FFR is THE standup guy of this community and just wouldn't lie about this incident. Let it go dude. You're wrong. Your precious Mendoza is a tool for acting the way he did towards ANY FAN OF THIS UNIVERSITY. The students, alumni and players draw A HELL of a lot more water than any coach or paid administrator does. The staff of this University should only say "Thank You" to the fans and Alumni who have paid our dues and earned the right to question what is going on at the institution that WE ALL HELPED BUILD.

I suggest you find another target. You are a tool, you've proven it again and again, and your personal attacks on ANY member of this fan base, especially one with the history FFR, is pathetic.

I have had the opportunity to meet Coach Mendoza at a coaching clinic and he is a class guy. I just don't believe his intent was to do anything wrong.

If his intent was to make a member of the Alumni feel uncomfortable, or refuses to shake the hand of a fan who says "nice game coach" then he was wrong. ...I'm not sure how anyone could see his intent as anything other than disrespect. These coaches should be leading by example. If you can't take the heat and still keep your head up without acting like a jerk, you shouldn't be in coaching.

I'm sorry. His actions are inexcuseable, regardless of intent.

I have had the opportunity to meet Coach Mendoza at a coaching clinic and he is a class guy. I just don't believe his intent was to do anything wrong.

D'07,

His intent was to make a statement to the members of this message board. And that was to shut the F up about his defense.

He didn't handle the right way. FFR, unlike you, me and most NT football fans, schedules his fall around NT football. He has probably missed less games since you've followed the MEAN GREEN, than you have attended. I'm not saying that Rick is the perfect fan, I know he's not, he goes overboard sometimes, but if NT had 20 more fans with Rick's passion then it would a helluva a lot closer to being big time than it is now. As a college coach, you never refuse a handshake, even if you know for a fact that the offered hand comes from someone who just MF'd you.

I know FFR. You are No FFR.

Dude... people SAW it happen. Are you really that blinded by this guy? You're his wife or kid or something?

Mendoza did EXACTLY what FFR said he did. FFR is not a liar. Neither are the few who saw it happen. You're a troll. Nothing more. You attack respected members of this community, yet have been around here since **GASP** THIS YEAR! ...that certainly makes you an expert on all things North Texas.

Now we have eye witnesses other than the parties directly involved? Why didn't these eye witnesses speak up in the original thread? In case anyone needs a review, here is the original thread...

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...hl=price+I+paid

So what EXACTLY did Mendoza do? The description was rather vague. It sounded like he basically gave someone a dirty look and chose not to shake their hand. If that's the case, then I agree it was poor form and he should be more gracious. But everyone has bad moments here and there. Let's give him a break on this one and hold off judgement until it happens again.

SLCoutsider, these dudes write what they want. Your an outsider and anyone new to the board is an outsider.

Better to be an SLCoutsider than to be me.........douchebag, tool, troll, Meager lover, Mendoza and Vizza family member, Dodge's relative, Riley's step dad, Breece Johnson's biggest fan, student trainer, film guy and all the other bull crap that comes my way.

Next season I add to my list......Riley lover, riley hater, Coach George's biggest fan, an SMU spy, a general in Mendoza's kick ass squad, and the why aren't we playing Sam Roberson posterchild boy.

I was actually the dude that threw the ball at the WKU coach from my seat in the endzone.......damn I have a rocket for an arm.......instead of Riley starting next season, maybe I can lose about 50 lbs., dye my hair, falsify my records and go back to UNT, this time as a Qb instead of a frat boy.

Edited by Dodge2007

SLCoutsider, these dudes write what they want. Your an outsider and anyone new to the board is an outsider.

Better to be an SLCoutsider than to be me.........douchebag, tool, troll, Meager lover, Mendoza and Vizza family member, Dodge's relative, Riley's step dad, Breece Johnson's biggest fan, student trainer, film guy and all the other bull crap that comes my way.

Next season I add to my list......Riley lover, riley hater, Coach George's biggest fan, an SMU spy, a general in Mendoza's kick ass squad, and the why aren't we playing Sam Roberson posterchild boy.

I was actually the dude that threw the ball at the WKU coach from my seat in the endzone.......damn I have a rocket for an arm.......instead of Riley starting next season, maybe I can lose about 50 lbs., dye my hair, falsify my records and go back to UNT, this time as a Qb instead of a frat boy.

Do you wake up with a clown's hand in your pants? I find your posts awesome when I read them with a lisp.

Avatar-Metalocalypse-MurderfaceRocksoScr

Now we have eye witnesses other than the parties directly involved? Why didn't these eye witnesses speak up in the original thread? In case anyone needs a review, here is the original thread...

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...hl=price+I+paid

So what EXACTLY did Mendoza do? The description was rather vague. It sounded like he basically gave someone a dirty look and chose not to shake their hand. If that's the case, then I agree it was poor form and he should be more gracious. But everyone has bad moments here and there. Let's give him a break on this one and hold off judgement until it happens again.

I am an eyewitness to the end portion of it from the stands. The part I saw was just as FFR described it happening.

The problem with analogies is thay they can be crafted to back up any argument. They are like statistics and numerology in that regard.

For example, let's do the accounting firm analogy a different way that supports my perspective. Your firm is already in the bottom 10 percentile among accounting firms and next year's forecast looks even more bleak. You clean house and hire 3 new accountants. One of them has a bad year, worse than expected. Do you fire him? Or do you give him a chance because maybe you knew the accounts he was assigned to weren't going to do much business with your firm anyway. Maybe you knew that he wasn't going to get much help from a disgruntled staff that had been hired by the previous guy. Maybe you give him a chance to bring in some new business since he has good relationships with potential clients and a proven track record at his previous firm. Maybe you don't want your firm to develop a bad reputation among accounting professionals by firing him before he had a chance to build his organization. Seems like a no brainer to me. But it does require a level-head which some around here seem to lack. Also, for some folks, it's just not as fun or satisfying as joining in the fray and calling for his head.

I see two related and sad attitudes at play around here. 1) The mob mentality that enjoys joining in with others for the sake of kicking people who are down, especially when they are perceived to "make more money". 2) The witch hunt mentality that needs to blame all problems, no matter how interwoven and complex, on a single bad guy.

Here's a more accurate analogy. Mendoza came from being a tax partner at a small firm last year and took over this year as the tax partner of a very large firm. That large firm, which returned all of their tax personnel and clients from the previous year, suddenly went from "middle of the road" to the worst in the country. I don't think that anyone is blaming him completely for the performance of the entire firm, but it's pretty obvious to me that the guy got in over his head and needs to move on. Maybe he's better suited for that small firm in which he came.

...M'kay...

...sure...

I am an eyewitness to the end portion of it from the stands. The part I saw was just as FFR described it happening.

...whoops.

You might want to scrape that poooooo off your shoooooe.