Sagarin Ratings As Off 11/20/07

chrisfisher

We are #72. Oklahoma State moves to #43, and this isn't a bad thing as now Sagarin shows us as 1-0 against Top 50 competition. Other teams of interest: Western Kentucky (#54), New Orleans (#107), and UTA (#68).

Edited by chrisfisher

I think New Orleans got the shaft more than we did with their win over a Top 25 team... to not even break into the Top 100 is pitiful. It just goes to show that you must have a history of winning, rather than "what have you done for me lately" for the early polls. Look at Western Kentucky... they have beat a bunch of nobodies this year and are doing quite well in the Mid Major/National rankings... but then again WKU has a history of winning and being competitive year in and year out.

New Orleans is #49 in the RPI this morning.

I've noticed that the RPI seem to have a more "logical" rating system. I checked out the Sagarin more closely. Sagarin himself actually says his early polls are biased until enough games are played. At least he gives full disclosure to this biasness of his poll in the early games. I guess if I had to make reliable predictive polls early on I might go with more traditional winning programs than inconsistent mid-majors that have a few good early games.

here is the saragin poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0708.htm

interesting positions:

#23........texas

#43........okie state (dun bin spanked)

#54........wku

#68........uta

#72........NORTH TEXAS

107........n.o.

124........usa

139........TCU

150........nmsu (Nov 30-1: tournament)

159........a-lr

182........indiana state (dun bin spanked)

201........lamo

212........troy

240.......lala

241.......centenary (dec 20 @ the PIT)

247.......mtsu

270.......asu

273.......fiu

277.......southern

280.......fau

333.......SMU

last place @ 341.....usc-upstate

it is just a poll based upon some sort of computer computations but not the heart that is instilled in a team.

cameron, hartford, western n.m. & tx a&m-international not in poll.

now check out the smu melt down on the pony basketball board.

Edited by eulesseagle

here is the saragin poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0708.htm

cameron, hartford, western n.m. & tx a&m-international not in poll.

now check out the smu melt down on the pony basketball board.

Cameron, WNMU, and TX A&M Intn'l will not be in the rankings since they are not D1, we really need to get away from playing nonD1 schools b/c they do nothing but hurt SOS and thus lower RPI, even though we have beaten 2 good D1 teams.