Gotta Respect Mccalebb Of New Orleans

MeanGreen61

Article from the Muts board. McCalebb sure deserves our respect.

Sparks: McCalebb's loyalty unmoved by Katrina

By ADAM SPAKS

sparks@dnj.com

MOBILE, Ala. — Bo McCalebb is the face of Sun Belt basketball.

The New Orleans senior guard will likely break the Sun Belt's all-time career scoring record this season, but his high standard was set by a decision made far from the court.

McCalebb, named Sun Belt Preseason Player of the Year Monday, could be in a lot of different places besides New Orleans this season. He could be in the NBA after ranking fifth nationally in scoring last season. He could be at any number of top-tier basketball schools after Hurricane Katrina nearly washed away the New Orleans program.

But McCalebb didn't abandon his school, his hometown or his team.

"I guess any other player would've left in my situation, but I never considered going anywhere except my home," said McCalebb, a New Orleans native. "After Katrina, my coach told me we still had a team, so I called everybody to keep them there. I wasn't leaving."

When Katrina struck New Orleans in 2005, McCalebb had already put together two phenomenal seasons and was undoubtedly contacted by plenty of prominent programs looking to add an explosive scorer in the hurricane's aftermath.

But McCalebb stayed put.

"It says great things about his character and his family," Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters said. "He was raised in an environment where a person's commitment means something."

Loyalty tested

New Orleans' Lakefront Arena was gutted by Katrina, and McCalebb knows he'll never play there again. McCalebb's hometown was damaged almost beyond repair, and he has his third coach in three years this season. Yet he still ignored inquiries to take his game elsewhere despite facing further obstacles.

McCalebb suffered a season-ending injury in the 2005-06 campaign following Katrina. His mother's house outside New Orleans suffered hurricane damage, but his family (including a mother with a heart condition and four younger brothers) decided to endure the hard times in the Big Easy.

"My mom said they weren't leaving, so I stood by them," McCalebb said. "I never had an intention of leaving New Orleans. This will make me a stronger person."

McCalebb briefly considered a leap to the NBA last spring, but he quickly changed his mind. It seems the six-footer's best virtues always come through.

"You can label him the most loyal college basketball player in America," MTSU coach Kermit Davis said. "He had every opportunity to bolt and play at a higher level school. The kid must love New Orleans and his family and friends there. And it was not only Katrina, but they lost their arena and he lost the coach (Monte Towe) that recruited him. But he stayed the course and you've got to appreciate that kind of loyalty."

Edited by MeanGreen61