Mid-week Football Practice Report

NT80

Mid-Week Football Practice Report

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 10/10/2007

Courtesy: University of North Texas

http://www.meangreensports.com/

DENTON, Texas (10/10/07) – The Mean Green enjoyed a light Sunday workout before taking its usual day off on Monday. The team went back to work on Tuesday in full pads for 20 periods at the Mean Green Athletic Center. Wednesday’s 22-period practice was outside on the practice fields.

Up next, North Texas will work out in pads and shorts on Thursday before conducting a team walk-through on Friday. The Mean Green will kick-off against the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Saturday at 6:05 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN Regional as part of the Sun Belt Conference television package. It can also be seen locally on TXA Channel 21.

Five Questions With Offensive Coordinator Todd Ford:

How did practice go this week?

“The players have come out, as they have each week, continuing to get better. They continue to improve, and as long as you have that, good things are going to happen.”

What does the scouting report say about ULM defense?

“The first thing that pops out is that they have experienced players playing defense. Alaric Coleman, 6-3, 250, is a defensive end that is leading their team in sacks. Their leading tackler is James Truxillo, who is playing a hybrid linebacker slash safety. The player we obviously have to be concerned with is Greg James, who was named Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Week after his two interceptions last week against Arkansas State.”

Can the offense continue to average 435 yards of total offense per game? (School record of 421 ypg was set in 1969)

“To be honest with you, it’s an offense that as a unit and a team, we really don’t concern ourselves with numbers. The numbers and statistics that we’re really concerned with are wins and losses. With that being said, we’ll take a 150-yard night of total offense combined with a victory, any night over a loss.”

What does Giovanni Vizza bring to the quarterback position?

“He really has a burning desire to continue to improve and learn not only as a quarterback, but as a leader of our offensive unit. He’s a guy who’s constantly asking what else he can do to get better. Those of just some of the things that he brings to the table that we’ve seen this year and last year when he was a senior at Alamo Heights and led them to a state championship.”

How much does it mean for the team to be back in Denton and playing at Fouts Field in front of a home crowd?

“It means a lot. Obviously, we have no control of the schedule, but what is important to us is that the atmosphere is just like what it was for the Florida Atlantic game. The tailgating and live music were awesome. I can’t tell you how valuable the Eagle Walk is to our players that they experience the college atmosphere. I promise you, with the student bodies’ help and our fans’ support, it really makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the post. One quote that kind of struck me was

To be honest with you, it’s an offense that as a unit and a team, we really don’t concern ourselves with numbers.

It seems every time I hear Coach Dodge talk, he is talking about specific goals (numbers) that he wants the team to achieve: e.g., so many three-and-outs, starting field position at the 35 yard-line, etc. I don't really have a problem with setting those goals, but Coach Ford's comment seems a little inconsistent with that.

Thanks for the post. One quote that kind of struck me was

It seems every time I hear Coach Dodge talk, he is talking about specific goals (numbers) that he wants the team to achieve: e.g., so many three-and-outs, starting field position at the 35 yard-line, etc. I don't really have a problem with setting those goals, but Coach Ford's comment seems a little inconsistent with that.

Here's my take: they aren't out to set offensive records. But TD has a set of metrics that he uses to track performance. If the team achieves those things, then the team should be on track for a win.

“It means a lot. Obviously, we have no control of the schedule, but what is important to us is that the atmosphere is just like what it was for the Florida Atlantic game. The tailgating and live music were awesome. I can’t tell you how valuable the Eagle Walk is to our players that they experience the college atmosphere. I promise you, with the student bodies’ help and our fans’ support, it really makes a huge difference.

That's a great thing to hear from the coach about the fans. I love it.

I always am careful to not miss the Mean Green March because it jacks ME up too when the team comes through. We REALLY need to upgrade participation from the fans; I thought for a little while that we weren't going to have enough people to hold up the lane markers at the FlaAtl game. I never thought the previous regime gave a rat's ass about it and thought it was to be endured. If this staff enjoys it and talks it up to the players, then we need to crank it up a notch. We need to come together and make it even more special and motivating for them...this week more than ever!