Jamario And Henderson Feature Articles In Longview News Journal

J-Mo Fan

Just wanted to let the board know that in yesterday's and today's edition of Longview News Journal there were two very good articles in regards to Super-J and Keronna. I must apologize to all, but I'm not sharp enough to attach it here. Go to www.news-journal.com and scroll down to sports, then click on "more," and you can read about Henderson. Then click on "more local headlines" to read JaMario's artlicle. Naturally, I enjoyed them both. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and am willing to take the "heat!"

image_5695290.jpg

Henderson ready to contribute

Finding his niche

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Monday, August 13, 2007

Adjusting from a run-first offense to a pass-happy, spread attack is a tough transition for a college football feature back. What's harder is if you're not the feature back, but the guy who does the dirty work for him.

That's the situation former Carthage standout Keronna Henderson faces entering the 2007 season at North Texas. Henderson, a redshirt walk-on junior in his fourth year with the program, has carved out a football career doing the dirty work. The 6-foot, 225-pound sports management major was a fullback and linebacker at Carthage, earning all-state honors on defense as a senior in 2003. He made the move to full-time fullback in former UNT coach Darrell Dickey's run-based offense, playing in 23 games in 2005-06 while playing extensively on special teams.

University of North Texas football player Keronna Henderson of Carthage speaks with reporters during UNT Media Day last Wednesday in Denton.

But new coach Todd Dodge, who won four Class 5A state championships at Southlake Carroll, uses, in his words, an offense that resembles a mixture of Mike Leach's Texas Tech scheme and Urban Meyer's Florida offense. There is no fullback in that offense.

"The old offense was basically smash-mouth football. Run, run, run, play-action pass," Henderson said. "But now it's more wide open, spreading the ball around to each position, but majority passing."

Henderson will make the transition to running back, but it's a position with competition, including former Spring Hill standout Jamario Thomas.

Like Thomas, Henderson will be asked to catch the ball out of the backfield, something neither is accustomed to. Dodge said Henderson would likely play an H-back position, a hybrid tight end role. Henderson said his experience in picking up blitzes has helped him the most.

"A lot of the blocking assignments and things, I've already got that down," Henderson said. "You've just got to be ready for having the opportunity to get the ball every play."

While Henderson concentrates on blocking assignments, he's not neglecting school assignments. He is on track to graduate in May, leaving him with a final year of eligibility while he can start taking graduate courses. He's recently gained interest in becoming a sports agent, and could eventually attend law school. Even if he doesn't become an agent, Henderson wants to be involved in player relations at the professional level.

"I could (represent) someone maybe in the same situation that I came through in college or high school," he said. "I've been through a lot and nothing's been given to me, so I think I'll be able to make it."

Charging linebackers aren't the only thing Henderson worries about blocking. Ground balls and choppers are also parts of his blocking assignments. Henderson played varsity baseball at Carthage for two years and plays third base and designated hitter for North Texas' club team, since the school does not have an NCAA varsity squad. Henderson hit an opposite-field home run in his first at-bat of the spring season, and hit over .400.

Somehow, Henderson said, he will be involved in professional sports. His top priority after his eligibility expires is trying out for every NFL team he can.

"The way I see it, they're going to have to tell me I can't try out for another team," Henderson said. "I'm going to try to make it on that level, and I play baseball. I'm going to try to make it in baseball if football doesn't work. After that, I'm going to have my degree to fall back on."

Henderson must compete with UNT's other backs for playing time, but he already teases one of them about a past victory. Henderson and Thomas are roommates with Brandon Monroe, a linebacker from Electra. Henderson said Carthage's 62-30 win over Thomas' Spring Hill Panthers in the 2003 playoffs is a sore subject for Thomas.

"I just always give him a hard time about how bad we beat them in the playoffs, and the fact that I stripped him once during the game," Henderson said. "He'll come back talking crazy. It's fun. We're having a good time."

Monroe said the trio argues about which is better, West Texas or East Texas. Thomas is glad to have Henderson backing him up in the arguments.

"We have a good time and we're good friends. We kind of all have something in common," Monroe said. "We're from small towns, country towns. We get along well."

Thomas thinks Henderson's gotten more mobile, noting that he and other teammates used to pick on Henderson for the rigidity in his hips. One thing's for sure, Henderson won't miss playing time because of a lack of effort.

"Just (trying to) keep an open mind about everything. I know we've got Jamario coming back, and we've got some seniors and junior-college transfers at the position," Henderson said. "I'm going to utilize every opportunity I have, bust my tail on special teams, also. That's a big thing the pro scouts are looking at nowadays. Just continue to do my best and not give up."

— You can follow Keronna Henderson and the University of North Texas on KPXI 100.7 The Word, which broadcasts every UNT football game.

Thomas in position to make difference for Mean Green

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Sunday, August 12, 2007

DENTON — Rushing for over 1,800 yards as a true freshman is a rare feat in college football. In fact, it's only happened three times in the sport's history. Five 200-yard games as a freshman had never happened — until Jamario Thomas took handoffs for North Texas.

That was 2004, and Thomas was considered North Texas' best recruit in years among the top running backs in the state out of Spring Hill High School. When Patrick Cobbs went down with a season-ending injury two games into the season, Thomas got his chance.

"Super Jamario," as he's called on campus, rushed for 247 yards in his first start against eventual Big 12 North champ Colorado. In 10 games, Thomas finished the year with 1,801 yards, 17 touchdowns and earned Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year honors. He led the Mean Green to its fourth straight league title and appearance in the New Orleans Bowl.

Three seasons, only five wins and a new head coach later, rumors swirl on fan message boards that junior college transfer Cam Montgomery could start ahead of Thomas, who has rushed for only 1,029 yards in his last two seasons. A nagging hamstring injury sabotaged his efforts in 2005, when Cobbs, now with the Miami Dolphins, came back after a medical redshirt to rush for over 1,000 yards.

Thomas enters his senior season a few pounds lighter and with his ever-present smile intact. He's just wanting to have a good time.

"I'm just looking to go out there and run wild and have fun with the guys," said Thomas, who ranks third on UNT's all-time rushing list. He needs 1,221 yards for first.

Thomas isn't preoccupied with the thought of playing in the NFL. The 5-11, 210-pounder, who expresses interest in drug-and-alcohol or family counseling, just wants to fit in new coach Todd Dodge's spread offense. Personal accolades don't matter, either.

"I'm just taking things as they come. I'm just out here trying to be a team player," Thomas said. "If we're getting Ws, it doesn't matter how many yards I'm getting."

Acclimation to the new offense could be a challenge, though.

Thomas came from a Spring Hill program that rode him as the workhorse. Former UNT coach Darrell Dickey was the same way. Dickey's offense personified the "three yards and a cloud of dust" approach, with the occasional play-action pass to keep defenses from putting nine guys in the box.

Dodge, who won four Class 5A state championships with a 79-1 record in his last five seasons at Southlake Carroll, brings a shotgun, four-wideout, single-back set to North Texas. Thomas will no longer have a lead blocker. He will also be asked to catch passes out of the backfield, a virtual afterthought in Dickey's offense.

"Coach Dodge is bringing a speed offense. This whole summer that's what I worked on," Thomas said. "Coach Dodge is a smart guy. He's going to put everybody in positions to make plays."

Dodge said he has big plans for Thomas. Although Carroll's quarterbacks were the focal point of Dodge's attack - see Chase Wasson (Sam Houston State), Chase Daniel (Missouri) and Greg McElroy (Alabama) - running backs got their opportunities. Former Carroll running back Aaron Luna and current back Tre Newton, Nate's son, rushed for 1,500 yards or more each year under Dodge. Newton eclipsed the 2,000-yard plateau in 2006 and has 38 touchdowns over the last two years.

"I tell my running back coach Shelton Gandy all the time, 'Make sure you remind Jamario that I know who our best offensive player is.' I think it's important that he knows that," Dodge said. "I think as the thing unfolds, Jamario Thomas is going to be one of the most excited people that there are about this offense. He (just) doesn't quite have the picture painted for him yet.

"Jamario is going to be fabulous. The skills that he had in the offense that North Texas ran before are going to be just as evident in the offense we have here. We've done a lot of evaluating whether or not he can really catch the ball. We feel he's got good hands. He's athletic, so I'm thrilled to have a guy like him - a guy that's got that kind of experience, that kind of explosiveness. Look for him to have an outstanding year."

Just like he says, Thomas is taking things as they come, joking about returning to his freshman form: "I've just accepted the fact that genetics kicked in."

Thomas' final season at North Texas is all about enjoying himself and the company of his teammates.

"(I'm trying to) have fun because this is my last year, but also try to end everything on a positive note," Thomas said. "It's my senior year, you know."

Thomas came from a Spring Hill program that rode him as the workhorse. Former UNT coach Darrell Dickey was the same way. Dickey's offense personified the "three yards and a cloud of dust" approach, with the occasional play-action pass to keep defenses from putting nine guys in the box.

A lot of good that did... they just went from 11 in the box to 9 in the box when RF called a play action pass every third three-and-out.

Great articles on J-Mo and Kerona though.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Just wanted to let the board know that in yesterday's and today's edition of Longview News Journal there were two very good articles in regards to Super-J and Keronna. I must apologize to all, but I'm not sharp enough to attach it here. Go to www.news-journal.com and scroll down to sports, then click on "more," and you can read about Henderson. Then click on "more local headlines" to read JaMario's artlicle. Naturally, I enjoyed them both. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and am willing to take the "heat!"

J-MO I'm guessing your from Longview ?? If so does J-Mo have another younger brother ?? I noticed in this year's Dave Campbell's I noticed under players to watch for Longview Springhill there was a DT Rance Thomas. Any relation?

J-MO I'm guessing your from Longview ?? If so does J-Mo have another younger brother ?? I noticed in this year's Dave Campbell's I noticed under players to watch for Longview Springhill there was a DT Rance Thomas. Any relation?

Jamario has a younger brother named Damario. I know he was a UNT recruit a couple of years ago. We placed him at a Junior college so that he could work on his grades, but I don't know what happened from there.

Anybody know?

image_5693396.jpg

University of North Texas running back Jamario Thomas visits with reporters during media day Wednesday at North Texas.

I haven't seen Jamario out of pads in long while, but does he look really thick and ripped? It appears so in this photo.

Edited by chrisfisher

I haven't seen Jamario out of pads in long while, but does he look really thick and ripped? It appears so in this photo.

I believe he does... I think trying to tackle him would be like trying to tackle a fire hydrant!!

WorkoutGear.jpg