Tulsa Board - U N T Recruiting

How's this for a pipe dream...SMU tries to vote us down in CUSA, and is promptly booted from that conference Temple style. That's my dream....and I agree with the poster that says Applewhite is UT's next Head Coach...he's young enough to wait a few years for Mack to retire---b/c he's not going anywhere in the next 5 years, maybe longer...

My biggest worry with Dodge is that TCU's head coaching position opens up....he wouldn't have to move his family to drive 20 minutes west, instead of 20 minutes north...and they'd be able to triple his salary again....

Rivalries have been brought up in several other posts...and I found it interesting that Tulsa considers itself a rival of UNT. They're kinda in the stepchild position we are in Oklahoma. It would be nice to have a yearly home and home with them...both in football and in basketball.

How's this for a pipe dream...SMU tries to vote us down in CUSA, and is promptly booted from that conference Temple style. That's my dream....and I agree with the poster that says Applewhite is UT's next Head Coach...he's young enough to wait a few years for Mack to retire---b/c he's not going anywhere in the next 5 years, maybe longer...

My biggest worry with Dodge is that TCU's head coaching position opens up....he wouldn't have to move his family to drive 20 minutes west, instead of 20 minutes north...and they'd be able to triple his salary again....

Uh, only triple, you $ay? ;)

Dennis Francione left a million dollar annual contract on the table to leave Fort Worth for Alabama. I don't think their Coach Patterson is that far from a million per year himself. I think Patterson won' leave that kind of money for just any BCS job though. It may have to be a perennial Top 10 school for him to leave a nice, cushy job he has off University and Berry Streets in Cowtown, USA.

We can worry about so many things as NT Exes that we have absolutely no control, but I do see where you are coming from with your thoughts, TIgreen.

IN TODD WE TRUST: Best rule of thumb is to market the heck out of what we have now, get back to winning (and beating name OOC schools as well as 1 or 2 Top 25 schools this time around) and then..............just enjoy what we have while we have it.

Boise State has shown us that even if you lose a top coach, you can still rehire to keep your program in the Top 25 (and knock off an OU along the way in a BCS Championship Series bowl game to boot)! :blowup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

What MG61 said. I think that Todd Dodge has more integrity than those coaches that just look for the next pay raise. Besides, didn't he state that North Texas should be THE team of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex? If he went to TCU or SMU what would his word be worth in the future? Also, isn't there a somewhat steep buyout clause for early departure and the loss of a bonus on Dodge's part if he didn't stay the full five years?

Dodge does a great job and the program explodes. He is getting a better job and getting a pay raise while staying at UNT. He would have to get an offer from a BCS school cause that would be the only step up at that point. If he did leave to go to a BCS school (even if he wants to go toTexas as the OC) NT is now the step up for 75ish of the head coaches out there. All in all no matter what Coach Dodge does as long as the program flourishes he has done his job, UNT is better and I will thank him for it and send him off to make his life better.

WOW...Coach Dodge hasn't even coached one game here at UNT and the worry is how long he will stay....that's a good thing...I guess! We'll see about the "integrity" thing when/if the BIG DOLLARS start being shoved in his face AFTER he wins here at UNT. And, I do think he will win here at UNT!!!! This is going to be a great opportunity to turn around the fortunes of UNT football...and basketball, etc., etc. I see good things beginning to happen with the entire program....Good people make good things happen...Dodge is a good person as well as a good coach. Let's all get behind him and UNT football and make it a great year! See you at the games....

TCU got on the map under Franchione...but began to excel under Patterson. Boise gained respectability under Dan Hawkins...but won a BCS bowl game under Chris Peterson. There is a better than zero chance that once mack Brown retires, Dodge will strongly be considered for the job...we should be so fortunate. If UT comes calling it means Dodge has built our program to a level of respectability we have never achieved. I doubt highly Dodge will have a Paterno-like run in Denton. He has ambition like any other coach, but hopefully he will instal a system that will recruit top players just as much as a coach.

TCU got on the map under Franchione...but began to excel under Patterson. Boise gained respectability under Dan Hawkins...but won a BCS bowl game under Chris Peterson. There is a better than zero chance that once mack Brown retires, Dodge will strongly be considered for the job...we should be so fortunate. If UT comes calling it means Dodge has built our program to a level of respectability we have never achieved. I doubt highly Dodge will have a Paterno-like run in Denton. He has ambition like any other coach, but hopefully he will instal a system that will recruit top players just as much as a coach.

The true testament to how successful we will have become under Todge isn't about wins and losses. It's about gaining early commitments and highly rated players who don't include in their quotes about signing "I wanted to play for coach Dodge" and instead include "I wanted to play for North Texas."

The true testament to how successful we will have become under Todge isn't about wins and losses. It's about gaining early commitments and highly rated players who don't include in their quotes about signing "I wanted to play for coach Dodge" and instead include "I wanted to play for North Texas."

Well put