U N T Lands Thompson

MeanGreen61

UNT Lands Thompson

10:11 PM CDT on Friday, April 27, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Just a few months ago, playing for North Texas wasn't even a consideration for Tristan Thompson.

The 6-5 guard from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire had a half-dozen scholarship offers, and UNT was just another school in his home state he didn't know much about.

UNT's memorable run to the NCAA Tournament and a meeting with head coach Johnny Jones not only put the school in Thompson's list of potential destinations, it pushed the Mean Green over the top with what one analyst called its best Texas high school recruit in years.

Thompson said Friday that he has made a non-binding oral commitment to UNT and will sign a national letter of intent today.

"North Texas pursued me really aggressively," Thompson said. "Coach Jones told me immediately that he wanted me to come down to UNT. My mom really liked coach Jones and he welcomed me in and introduced me to his family. … The relationship I had with coach Jones made the difference."

Thompson said he chose UNT over offers from Georgia, UTEP, Wichita State, Houston, New Mexico State and Akron.

UNT's coaching staff cannot comment on Thompson until it receives his letter of intent, but Mike Kunstadt of Texashoops.com said the Mean Green's latest recruit is the highest rated Texas high school player Jones has signed in at least the last five years.

"Tristan is very athletic, and that is what North Texas did last year to get to the NCAA Tournament, put athletes on the floor," Kunstadt said. "Getting an athlete like Thompson will add to what they have. He is a slasher and a scorer who can get up and down the floor."

Thompson showed that ability during two seasons at Angleton before he transferred to Brewster. The former Class 4A all-state selection averaged 26.7 points a game as a senior, when he led the Wildcats to the state tournament.

Kunstadt ranked Thompson No. 18 among the seniors in Texas after the 2006 season.

Instead of committing to a college out of high school, Thompson spent a season at Brewster, where he said he averaged about 17 points a game. Thompson helped lead the Bobcats to the finals of the New Hampshire Class A state tournament by scoring 25 points in a win over South Kent and 19 against St. Thomas More in back-to-back postseason games.

Thompson appears to fit an immediate need for UNT, which lost three of its top wing players after last season -- Sun Belt Conference tournament Most Outstanding Player Calvin Watson, and fellow seniors Kendrick Davis and Rich Young.

"Coach Jones told me that I could step in right away and play major minutes," Thompson said. "North Texas is also close to home. My parents will get to come and see me play. They saw me play all my games at Angleton. At Brewster my dad didn't get to see me play at all and my mom only got to see me play in two games."

The addition of Thompson gives UNT three recruits for its upcoming class. Jones has also secured commitments from Midland College point guard Ryan McCoy and Mesa (Ariz.) Community College guard Adam McCoy.

UNT still has one scholarship left to give in its 2007 recruiting class.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.