New Offense Doesn't Faze Snapper

MeanGreen61

New offense doesn't faze snapper

12:07 AM CDT on Friday, April 13, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

The changes seem to keep on coming for North Texas offensive lineman Kelvin Drake.

The former Galveston Ball standout was a guard in high school before moving to center in his first season with the Mean Green.

Drake is still at center under new head coach Todd Dodge, but is learning the art of the shotgun snap, a process that will continue today when the Mean Green has its second scrimmage of spring practice at Fouts Field. UNT's first, second and third team offenses and defenses will face off before the team works on specific game-type situations at the end of the workout.

The scrimmage will offer Drake and several others an opportunity to show how they have progressed and challenge to move up the depth chart.

"I am adapting well," Drake said. "The coaches have encouraged me, even when I have had some bad snaps. This is the first time I have played in a shotgun offense."

Drake is sharing time at center with returning starter Chad Rose. Both are also seeing time at guard on a UNT offensive front that has perhaps the least depth of any position on the Mean Green's roster.

Both are spending extra hours working on shotgun snaps with UNT's quarterbacks.

"As we have gone along, we have become more consistent," Dodge said. "We are snapping before practice. I have been pleased with how they are progressing."

Drake said he sent several snaps over quarterbacks' heads and skipping toward their feet in the early stages of spring workouts, but has since settled in at a spot that appears to fit his skills.

Drake was recruited as a center by several Division I programs because of his 6-2, 305-pound frame.

"Center is a place I can stay," Drake said. "I am undersized as a lineman as far as my height, but that makes me a good fit as a center. Most of the schools that recruited me wanted me to play center."

Rose started at center in both his redshirt freshman and sophomore seasons and could start at either center or guard as a junior this fall. UNT lost All-Sun Belt Conference guard Dylan Lineberry to graduation after last season.

Scrimmage gives WR a shot to shine

There were times the last two years when Brock Stickler wondered if he would ever find his comfort zone in UNT's run-based offense.

The move to the spread under Dodge has eliminated those concerns for the former Lampasas wide receiver, who spent part of the last two seasons trying to make the switch to tight end. Stickler has been among the most impressive of a series of players who have moved to slot receiver this spring.

"This system suits me a lot better than what we had last season," Stickler said. "We are throwing the ball more. I am a better possession receiver than a blocker."

Stickler has made several impressive catches in practice and at 6-3, 219, is an imposing player running through the defensive secondary.

Sticker and other newcomers to wide receiver, including Korey Washington, are trying to make their case for playing time right away under Dodge. The Mean Green signed six players who are expected to play wide receiver next season.

"It's a big concern for me to show what I have before fall practice," Stickler said. "We have a lot of receivers coming in. I will have to continue to improve."

Dodge sees roles for tweeners

Dodge could get creative when it comes to using a group of players on the Mean Green's roster who might not be an exact fit for his offensive philosophy.

Tight ends and fullbacks were both integral parts of UNT's offense last season, but have a much smaller role in Dodge's system. The players who filled those roles, including tight end Victor Gill of Argyle and fullbacks Ryan Davenport and Kerona Henderson, could become what Dodge called specialty players.

Dodge likes to use multiple formations and said he can see ways those players could contribute in a variety of situations as receivers, blockers or ball carriers. UNT could insert players like Gill and Henderson to create mismatches the Mean Green can exploit.

"Those are the types of players we can take advantage of when we become more multiple offensively," Dodge said.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is

Very good story and insite! I really like Coach Dodge's approach to his players-

Coach Dodge and his staff reconize the variety of skills these players have, and

the coaching staff is going to take advantage of these skills. Coach Dodge and his

staff see all the players as important parts of the whole team, then create offensive

and defensive plays that fit the players skills. that is coaching and a winning approach

if you ask me!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Let me qualify this by saying that the coaching staff knows what they are doing and I don't. BUT, I still think that Drake and Rose are two of our five best linemen and I just hope that they can find a way to get both on the field for the majority of snaps.

Let me qualify this by saying that the coaching staff knows what they are doing and I don't. BUT, I still think that Drake and Rose are two of our five best linemen and I just hope that they can find a way to get both on the field for the majority of snaps.

It mentioned both are also seeing time at guard so maybe they can both play at the same time.

I also liked this quote about tween players: "Those are the types of players we can take advantage of when we become more multiple offensively," Dodge said.

Finally, signs of multiple offensive life after a couple years of run-and-done.

Edited by NT80

I also liked this quote about tween players: "Those are the types of players we can take advantage of when we become more multiple offensively," Dodge said.

Finally, signs of multiple offensive life after a couple years of run-and-done.

Easy now, DD said the same thing every spring. ;)